Buzzing strings

ArnaudS1979

I have tuned my SE Custom 24 to Eb but the strings started to buzz - not sure if the factory strings are 9s or 10s, they feel more like 9s but... I actually quite like the way the guitar plays so don't really feel like increasing the gauge, what would be the best way to get rid of the buzzing?

Cheers.

Loosen the truss rod a little bit to get a smidge more neck relief and you should be in business.

I have tuned my SE Custom 24 to Eb but the strings started to buzz - not sure if the factory strings are 9s or 10s, they feel more like 9s but... I actually quite like the way the guitar plays so don't really feel like increasing the gauge, what would be the best way to get rid of the buzzing?

Cheers.

Need some more information here. Above a truss rod adjustment was mentioned, but in which direction (or even if) is largely depending on where the strings are buzzing. Is the buzzing all around the fretboard, only on certain strings, etc... When I received my second hand HBII, I needed to loosen the truss rod because it was buzzing ONLY from the 1st-5th frets on nearly all of the strings.

If could be that by dropping the tuning that little bit, you may need to raise the action a hair to compensate for the looser strings. Heck, it could also be that your nut slots are too low, which means raising the action might not necessarily help.

What's the action currently like on the guitar?

Just in case, here's a great link to some setup resources:

https://www.sweetwater.com/sweetcare/articles/guitar-setup-part-2-setting-action/

Need some more information here. Above a truss rod adjustment was mentioned, but in which direction (or even if) is largely depending on where the strings are buzzing. Is the buzzing all around the fretboard, only on certain strings, etc... When I received my second hand HBII, I needed to loosen the truss rod because it was buzzing ONLY from the 1st-5th frets on nearly all of the strings.

If could be that by dropping the tuning that little bit, you may need to raise the action a hair to compensate for the looser strings. Heck, it could also be that your nut slots are too low, which means raising the action might not necessarily help.

What's the action currently like on the guitar?

Just in case, here's a great link to some setup resources:

https://www.sweetwater.com/sweetcare/articles/guitar-setup-part-2-setting-action/

I will need to look into it in more detail. But basically, it was absolutely fine before I down tuned. First impression was that it was pretty much across the board.

If your guitar was set up with low action and then you tuned down 1/2 step it seems reasonable that you might get some buzz you now have less string tension most of the guys I know that play in Eb run 11s as they feel like 10s If you plan to stay in Eb you should do a set up or jump up a string gauge ( IMHO )
If you want to check your relief put a capo on the first fret then hold down the low e on the last fret at the 7th fret you should be able to just see under the string if not move the truss rod away from you ( When seated ) ( clockwise ) a very small amount ( 1/8 - 1/4 turn ) if you have daylight at the 7th fret retune and see if thing are better if not sorted you will need to check you whole set up

If your guitar was set up with low action and then you tuned down 1/2 step it seems reasonable that you might get some buzz you now have less string tension most of the guys I know that play in Eb run 11s as they feel like 10s If you plan to stay in Eb you should do a set up or jump up a string gauge ( IMHO )
If you want to check your relief put a capo on the first fret then hold down the low e on the last fret at the 7th fret you should be able to just see under the string if not move the truss rod away from you ( When seated ) ( clockwise ) a very small amount ( 1/8 - 1/4 turn ) if you have daylight at the 7th fret retune and see if thing are better if not sorted you will need to check you whole set up

Great advice - I usually use a business card to check the relief after using the capo and pressing down the low E at it's highest fret. Because it was setup well before, less tension because of the lower tuning might just mean jumping up a gauge in your strings.

The problem really boils down to buzzing can mean so many things, and it can be difficult to discern exactly what is causing the issue. Considering your statement that everything was fine before, it's probably tension issue, that could be resolved a number of ways.

I would certainly suggest that if this is the setup you want on this guitar, taking it to a good tech might be beneficial for you.

Thanks guys. I followed the link you posted JSanta585. They make an interesting point that not all acoustic buzzing translate in your amplified sound. So I will check that when next plugged in the amp and see how it goes. It may be I can live with it. I know that increasing the string gauge is the obvious answer, but I really like the way it feels now. I'll check if the relief though tonight.

Thanks guys. I followed the link you posted JSanta585. They make an interesting point that not all acoustic buzzing translate in your amplified sound. So I will check that when next plugged in the amp and see how it goes. It may be I can live with it. I know that increasing the string gauge is the obvious answer, but I really like the way it feels now. I'll check if the relief though tonight.

My experience is that there is always some level of buzz, you kind of find a happy medium. I have a 7 string that I have a .068 on the low B, and it does buzz, but not through the amp, and that's where I care. For my acoustic instruments, especially jazz archtops, I try my best to eliminate any buzz.

I have checked the relief of the neck and it is good. I might just try to adjust the trem first as it is not quite parallel to the body of the guitar since I changed the tuning.

I have checked the relief of the neck and it is good. I might just try to adjust the trem first as it is not quite parallel to the body of the guitar since I changed the tuning.

This happens to me if I change string brands even with the same gauge. Differences between string tension can certainly cause issues!

Back