Buying that next core...

DHW

I've had my custom 24 for a year now and it has basically replaced my se 100%... I have been thinking about a sc245 or some such single cut but I wonder if I would play it enough to make it worth it... How do you put down your best guitar for your other best guitar? Do you ever feel guilty? The cu24 just fits me... Do you guys ever feel like you are forcing yourself to play through your collection? Do you pick the guitar based on what you are playing specifically that day? Come on enablers, come and get me!!!

I feel guilty every day ;) I spend too much time A/B/Cing tones - time I should be spending on my chops. But I am fascinated by the differences in my PRSes, and how playing the same songs with different guitars changes my playing, and the songs. I tend to go through 2-3 different ones a day. Cause I'm a freak. Works for me!

I've had my custom 24 for a year now and it has basically replaced my se 100%... I have been thinking about a sc245 or some such single cut but I wonder if I would play it enough to make it worth it... How do you put down your best guitar for your other best guitar? Do you ever feel guilty? The cu24 just fits me... Do you guys ever feel like you are forcing yourself to play through your collection? Do you pick the guitar based on what you are playing specifically that day? Come on enablers, come and get me!!!

Well, CU24s are indeed great. And if it fits you, that's even better.

I pick the guitar based on what my studio needs are that day; that varies depending on the project. And I actually look forward to playing the different ones, not like I'm forcing it.

I only have four electric guitars, but they're all PRSes, and they're all a joy to play. I like that.

I have been thinking about a sc245 or some such single cut but I wonder if I would play it enough to make it worth it.

A guitar is a luxury item which makes it impractical by nature. You are thinking in practical terms about something that is impractical. If you are concerned you might not play it enough, then make sure you play it enough. Simple as that.

I probably rehearse and gig more than I actually practice (I've got a young family) so I usually end up playing whatever will suit the songs best we're playing at the moment. That inevitably means my DC3 with 408s because it's so freaking versatile.

That said, If your CU24 "just fits you", why look elsewhere? The grass is not always greener.

Now, have you heard about these things called PRS amps? ;)

You dare me Serg? :) Not much of a dare... A dare would be a sc245 AND a Santana... I am gonna need another promotion at work I think....

Justmund... An amp is definitely on the list. My current amp sounds great for what it is but I am going to look at some of the higher end hand wired amps on the market as well. It is going to be dangerous having a high end shop less than an hour away once we move...

dang it... I need an acoustic yet too... Should have never sold the one I had I guess... I am gonna end up spending enough that I could have gotten a PS...

I don't find it at all surprising that the CU24 displaced the SE. The core is a superb instrument.
I think the key to get another (which you HAVE to do) is to not get something so close that you will pick a favourite for what that (those) guitars do. A SC245 is a very good choice as an addition because its character is enough different that you are more likely to choose the guitar best suited to what you want to play.
From there a hollow body would be another very different character so could stand on its own.

For what it is worth I started: single cut (loved it and still do), CU22, Hollowbody - then I started getting silly.
And yes, everybody should have an acoustic. It keeps you honest.

I think my PRS progression was CU24 in 1991, Artist II (essentially a CU22 type) in 1993, and an SC in 2000. From there, all hell broke loose. Gosh, I love these guitars.

The trick (IMO) is for each guitar to have a distinct purpose.

In the past I got trapped into having a bunch of guitars that all sounded similar, and not surprisingly I tended to play the one that was the best 99% of the time. The only times I played the other guitars was when I was bored, and even then I was usually back on my #1 by the end of the session.

Where I had more luck was with getting guitars for a purpose. In my case, it was branching away from a Les Paul by getting a Tele. Then I picked up a PRS because I wanted something more modern with high output with a trem to compliment the LP and Tele. Then I picked up a Cu22 Semi-Hollow to use for open tunings. Down the road I plan on adding either a baritone or 7 string, or maybe something with piezo.

I do have a music man petrucci signature set up a half step down. The piezo is pretty well wasted in it but it is a killer half step guitar with the 25.5" scale and maple neck.

Buying for a purpose does make sense.

I agree with each guitar having a purpose. I've refined my collection to four main guitars that fill their own niche: HBII for those semi and hollow guitar tones. The S2 Singlecut Standard is my solid body Gibson proxy. Custom build Tele for, well, Tele sounds. Custom build Strat for quacky stuff of course and it also has a great Hipshot bridge for whammy action. I have two other guitars I keep mainly for sentimental reasons. They simply aren't as good as the others, but they bring a smile to my face once in a while and it is handy to have something for the occasional alternate tuning.

I really do wish I could be a one (or two) guitar kinda guy, but I'm fickle, so I play what suits my current mood. Switching it up inspires me. There's enough crossover in my main four that at a gig I can have a good backup, or a second guitar for tonal variety, or if my fickleness takes hold during a gig I can switch.

I did feel guilty for having stuff I didn't play, so even though I tend to get attached to my gear, I sold off a few. If you gotta force yourself to play something, you need to move it on to a new home!

The Singlecut would be a good complement to the Custom. They both do things the other doesn't do. But, if you're totally happy with the Custom, go for an acoustic. Everyone needs a good acoustic. You can keep the SE as a backup, or maybe use it to practice on if you don't want to dirty up the strings on the core before a gig, etc.

Well, you clearly need a 245 to give you a new tonal option/inspiration. As stated by many, it may change your approach to what and how you're playing. That's a good thing. But maaaaaybe.... you should ease into and get a DGT or something similar first. Something a little closer to that CU24 so it doesn't feel so foreign. I hereby move that you need 2 new guitars...DGT then a 245!
Well, CU24s are indeed great. And if it fits you, that's even better.

I pick the guitar based on what my studio needs are that day; that varies depending on the project. And I actually look forward to playing the different ones, not like I'm forcing it.

I only have four electric guitars, but they're all PRSes, and they're all a joy to play. I like that.
Hmmm, I remember when Les was a 2 guitar guy max.... :D
But really, I'm glad you've expanded your tonal palette. More tools and inspiration for you to do your best work which is a good thing! It's not exactly the Harbaugh approach, but at least you've stuck with the black t-shirts, right???? ;)

I watched a video of Derek Trucks playing slide on that SG yesterday. They happened to show the back of the neck in the video. There was not the slightest hint of Nitro or paint on any of it. It was worn down to the wood from play. There is something to be said for "just playing your guitar". Now I'm sure he has other guitars, but my point is he knows what works for him and he plays it (a lot)!

I don't seem to follow my own theory here because I already have too many guitars and find myself looking for more. GAS...what ya gonna do?

Reactions: CVS
Back