Buying new vs used

I bought my PRS new, my custom made guitar was obviously new, too. The Rockinger/Duesenberg was resting in peaces in the shelf for some curious DIY guy. Beside my beginner electric every other guitar came to me used.
My current own approach is to acquire seldom but new.

I've got both. Never had an issue wit used, as long as you know what you're looking at and do your homework.:)

After owning a new guitar for 6 months it is indistinguishable from any "used" (but not abused) guitar, so I am just fine buying used.

If I had a particular customization desired that requires special order, then obviously new would be my only real option.

I buy a guitar for the specific specs I am looking for. If I can find it used and the price is low enough to make it worth it, I'll bite. 99% of my guitars have been bought new because I can never find exactly what I want, even in private stock guitars used, and I have really looked around.

With regard to private stock ownership, at least paying the money for a new guitar, should anything need warranty work, you know working on a private stock piece is going to be expensive, so the insurance of buying new does help one rest a bit more easy. ymmv

If the guitar is calling you and you can't understand why someone would abandon such a beautiful thing, then buy it..

It could also be a brand thing. I think Fenders are good used, since part of the appeal is its age. But PRS I think appeals more if its new, because its of its looks and its price, so its often looked (I think) as an investment, and something to keep in mint condition.

And thats were the S2 comes in! It can be pretty, new and used IMO.

I've had some nice new guitars, but strangely enough, the two I miss the most were bought used. I just adore my used EG-3, and would love to track down another early 90s EG. That said, I would also love to add a new Tremonti, P22, or PG to my guitar rack in the next couple years.

I bought 3 used guitars that were close to 8 or 9 years old,
In general high humidity would be the enemy of an older guitar improperly stored.
I bought an old Stratocaster and the picture didn't quite show the mold growing in the neck joint. Clearly was stored in the garage for 3 or 4 years. I was able to clean the mold out and put it in new a neck with no problem.
The next problem with High humidity like In a garage, it will Cause the wood of the neck to pick up moisture in excess Then When it dries , It often can warp. so it's nice to be able to carefully evaluate whether or not the neck is straight. A good seller will tell you that it's always been In its case and that the neck is straight and that they have very nice pictures that support their argument.
Also volume and tone pots were bad in a couple of those guitars so assume a 10-year-old guitar might need a volume and tone pot replacement. But if it's stored in a house in a case Statistical odds improve.

Back