Buying my First PRS help!

Guitar137335

Hi,
so I've been looking at getting a Gibson Les Paul but also looking at PRS . Note I don't have a clue about all the models etc am a complete newbie. So am looking at spending up to 2000€ (2179$) I'll be ordering it from here Thomann.com ( no second hand) can't try it out sadly but I can send it back.
heres a list of what Id like.
made in USA
something solid
only a whammy bar is it stays in tune lol
not a super thin neck
coil splitting or tapping
i play blues rock metal.
thanks!

Singlecut w/Trem , but they don't come with coil tap. Cu22 w/Trem and a pattern regular neck is what you want. McCarty model is no longer made, but a McCarty Trem can be had used.

Last edited:
A DGT model could be what you're looking for. They're a little thicker than the CU22 in both body and neck profile, it's got a coil tap and trem, and is an all-round great guitar.

The only one on Thomann at the moment is an expensive quilt-top, but there was a green burst for a little over €2000 a few week s ago,. I'm sure they'll re-stock with more.

Well unless you get a floyd rose, every whammy bar system is going to go out of tune here and there. There's just no avoiding it. I will say that PRS tremolo systems are super super stable. You'll probably want a pattern regular neck, as has already been mentioned. If you're going with stock pickups you might want the 59/09s for the music types you listed. Unless someone thinks the HFS would be better...ive never used em so not sure how they'd do for blues.

The custom 24s are effortless to play but a custom 22 will have a little bit warmer sounding neck pup. You will definitely get more versatility our of a Prs than you will a Les Paul ;)

Don't the American SC 245s have coil taps? Those guitars sound amazing! Definitely going to be my next purchase.

Anyone know how the new prs metal pickups are on blues?

I put "M" pickups in my McCarty about 3 weeks ago. I was surprised with these pickups. They have a very tight low end, that was the first thing I noticed. I had an HFS in the bridge because I'm using my McCarty for dutuned stuff. I normally don't care for the HFS but thought it sounded pretty good in the D and drop C tunings. It was a little loose on the low end so I had to dial the bass down a bit on my amp but the M pickups are very tight and handle the low end very well. They don't feel as hot as I was expecting them to be but so far they sound pretty good. I would say they could work very well for blues,rock or metal. I would probably get a better idea if I would try them in normal tuning. Again, these may be different in normal tuning but if metal is the only thing you do then HFS may be a better choice.

If it MUST be new and you've only got a budget of 2000 Euros then you're going to be looking at the S2 range. You are not going to get a new PRS core range guitar for 2000 Euros.

That said, they DO have a B Stock 408 Standard, but really you'll need to play one if possible. The 408s are not to everyone's taste and are particularly very different from a Les Paul. You'll have to love the pickups because they are PRS proprietary pickups which are a different shape and size to anything else on the market and they cannot simply be swapped for different ones. It's a good price for the guitar however and you'd be getting a core model for little more than an S2 model.

Here's the guitar I'm talking about. http://www.thomann.de/gb/prs_408_std_trem_black_b_stock.htm

If that's not quite what you're looking for then you should maybe think about the S2 Singlecut. It's not quite a Les Paul, but it has a similar shape, and would sound more like one than the 408 Standard. If I was buying a S2 and wanted a great rock n roll/blues machine, I'd buy the S2 Mira. It's lightweight, sounds amazing and rock solid in terms of playability and has the coil taps you want. It's more an SG than a Les Paul though.

The other option is too look at the used market.

Last edited:
If it MUST be new and you've only got a budget of 2000 Euros then you're going to be looking at the S2 range. You are not going to get a new PRS core range guitar for 2000 Euros.

That said, they DO have a B Stock 408 Standard, but really you'll need to play one if possible. The 408s are not to everyone's taste and are particularly very different from a Les Paul. You'll have to love the pickups because they are PRS proprietary pickups which are a different shape and size to anything else on the market and they cannot simply be swapped for different ones. It's a good price for the guitar however and you'd be getting a core model for little more than an S2 model.

Here's the guitar I'm talking about. http://www.thomann.de/gb/prs_408_std_trem_black_b_stock.htm

If that's not quite what you're looking for then you should maybe think about the S2 Singlecut. It's not quite a Les Paul, but it has a similar shape, and would sound more like one than the 408 Standard. If I was buying a S2 and wanted a great rock n roll/blues machine, I'd buy the S2 Mira. It's lightweight, sounds amazing and rock solid in terms of playability and has the coil taps you want. It's more an SG than a Les Paul though.

The other option is too look at the used market.
Spot on. Limiting yourself to one 1 dealer and only new guitars makes it pretty simple, if not the best scenario.

I don't see that the Cu22 is available with a pattern regular neck. They seem to only list Pattern and Pattern Thin.

Singlecut w/Trem , but they don't come with coil tap. Cu22 w/Trem and a pattern regular neck is what you want. McCarty model is no longer made, but a McCarty Trem can be had used.

Back