Buying guitars from the UK to USA?

ViperDoc

Plugged In.
I wonder if any of you have recently imported a guitar from the UK to the USA? How did the taxes and duties work out? Worth the hassle or no?

I've thought about this myself. Andertons gets some pretty nice stuff sometimes I can't find over here and I've been tempted to buy.

I was wondering about VAT and import tax as well as CITES limitations on any type of rosewood. I know BRZ is out.

Cites for rosewood has been lifted in the UK. Not in the US? It only makes sense its its international.
I expect Import Tax would mean consulting your US Mail for details.

VAT should not be applied outside the UK and EU.

I bought a Patrick James Eggle “Strat” from Peach Guitars a couple of years ago. IIRC, it was listed for 3800£ on their website. There was a box to check if you were ordering from the US. Once I checked that box, the price $3,100, and no VAT. They shipped it FedEx, and it showed up in Chicago 3 days later. At that point, I thought that was it. At the end of the month, when I checked my FedEx statement, I saw that I had been charged $174 for import fees. Since they shipped FedEx, and since I have a FedEx account, I didn’t know that happened at the time. I imagine if I didn’t have an account, they would have asked for cash on delivery.

No issues with RW as I believe that restriction has been lifted on musical instruments. Hans and I did a trade a couple of weeks ago. Both guitars made it in about 10 days. Took a little longer due to Customs being back logged with Covid-19 delays. Neither of us had to pay anything other than shipping. And both guitars had RW fret boards. Mine went to Germany from Chicago, and his went from Germany to Chicago.

If it’s a USA brand returning to the States, there will be no import tax. VAT only applies if it’s a used guitar, shouldn’t be on a new one. At least this is what I was told a few years ago.

My Nik Huber build was shipped directly to my dealer so don’t know about any tax. No VAT, and full Braz neck with CITES documentation so no issues getting through customs.

Don't forget to take 20% off of the listed UK price. Our shops automatically add VAT which won't be payable if you're in the US.

Might be late, but I bought a PRS from a UK shop and it was delivered to me in California. No duties, no taxes. I paid around $3,000 for the guitar.

I think since it is a Made in USA guitar it would not be subject to u.s. import tax.

I think VAT isn't applied to used gear so unless you're buying new it's not an issue. Maybe somebody can clarify this?

It is over here for us Brits! If the seller is a VAT registered business you have to pay VAT on everything, new or old, unless it's a VAT exempt product.

Does VAT apply to used gear shipped overseas?
I sure didn't pay it. I bought from an established music store. The name Compass comes to mind, but I'm not sure (it's been 3 years or so).

Things have changed quite recently.

Import tax is payable on anything over £15 and Import duty on anything over £135, I believe.

Apparently postage on the item can be taken into consideration as well!

Edit: For items coming into UK that is.

Last edited:
Does VAT apply to used gear shipped overseas?
I sure didn't pay it. I bought from an established music store. The name Compass comes to mind, but I'm not sure (it's been 3 years or so).
No VAT is not payable on any product, new or used, if you are outside of the European Union. You may have to pay a local taxes for your region. All of our stores have the 20% VAT rate built into the price, so if you're looking from overseas just take 20% off.

However, this also works against us the other way, we have to pay import duty and tax on anything bought overseas and shipped to the UK. Can't remember the exact figures, but it works out about the same as VAT, payable on the total value of the goods including all shipping costs!

Back