Buying advice for a well played PRS guitar?

$1500 in today's market is a good price for that guitar ... IF it has the case and is is completely stock. Without the case and in questionable condition, I'd have to really question it. Schaller pups aren't highly sought after. The guy has sold 937 guitars there since 2014. This ain't his own guitar. He's just passing it on and making a few bucks. Nothing wrong with selling guitars as a side job, but as the buyer, you need to know what you are getting into.

Given the less than normal issues, I'd pass at that price.

Thanks for your responses guy's. So I spoke to the seller this morning.
He told me he bought the guitar from Guitar Center 6 months ago, and he's just looking to sell it b/c he ends up never bonding with PRS's.
He states the guitar has minor fretwear throughout the fingerboard with the the majority being around the "g string". He said the fretwear is lightest on the wound strings and that the previous owner was a lead player. He also said the guitar shouldn't need a refret for quite some time. He mentioned the fret wear is not near that deep, and that there is enough fret material left for at least 2 fret level and crown jobs.

I mentioned to him that, if somewhere down the line he was willing to accept offers, if he would please keep me in mind. He got back to me and told me, he would take $1,300 for the guitar, plus $70 for the shipping for a total of $1,370, and that would be his bottom dollar amount.

... he's just looking to sell it b/c he ends up never bonding with PRS's...
Translation "I buy PRS's because PRS's sell."
I mentioned to him that, if somewhere down the line he was willing to accept offers, if he would please keep me in mind. He got back to me and told me, he would take $1,300 for the guitar, plus $70 for the shipping for a total of $1,370, and that would be his bottom dollar amount.
$1300 is within consideration range. If I really "needed" it, I might invest a 2 hour trip to inspect and play it. Save the $70 if I decide to buy it. I love 1st gen SC's. For me the concern is the Schaller pups. They are just lifeless IMO. I'd have to factor in replacing them and given that they aren't going to sell well, I'd be out a couple hundred to get #7's back in it. Then another spend for the case (although in my personal situation I happen to have an extra, that's beside the point), and you're at $1700 for the SC. Not ripping you off, but not a steal for you either. If the Gold top Gen 1 SC is on your bucket list you may want to look deeper. If not pass.

The finish isn't that big of a deal at all to me. Guitars are meant to be played. It's the pickup swap and state of electronics I'd be a little unsure of, I've heard mixed reviews and zero personal experience. Pickup swap is part of the game, and not the end of the world, except my SC58 gold top came with 57/08 I wouldn't change for the world..

The fret wear would be my biggest concern. Admittedly (bonus points) by the seller they have wear, he runs 11s, and it's seen some miles. Fret job from PTC is expensive and local isn't cheap either. Any quality fret job is going to cost and it's not something in my wheel house, yet.

Considering only those factors I personally wouldn't be a buyer at that price. There will be more cash to outlay, and I've done better for less, even during covid. Now if he would negotiate that's another story.. Goldtops Rock!

Another factor that's an unfortunate reality for the seller is selling a guitar in this shape on reverb can be tricky. Buyers can be ridiculously picky upon arrival, some deserved and others not so much. Heck he's inadvertently inviting problems by listing as Good but mentioning Fair in his description. He may get someone that's a good buyer and all good or he can get a buyer like my buddy's horror story of a guitar in similar condition. Bottom line is a localish buyer is a HUGE upside for the seller.

Goldtop tease cause it never gets old looking at her..

Screenshot_20211031-202722_Gallery5e82aab3f9f367aa.jpg
I'll see your Single Cut and raise you my '06 McCarty Double Cut gold Top - that's a set of Naylor Hyper Vintage Railhammer pickups in it - the differences in the gold color are sure noticeable, mine seems to have a warmer, more red in it - but ya can't go wrong with any Gold Top:
nzd9qbL.jpg

Translation "I buy PRS's because PRS's sell."

$1300 is within consideration range. If I really "needed" it, I might invest a 2 hour trip to inspect and play it. Save the $70 if I decide to buy it. I love 1st gen SC's. For me the concern is the Schaller pups. They are just lifeless IMO. I'd have to factor in replacing them and given that they aren't going to sell well, I'd be out a couple hundred to get #7's back in it. Then another spend for the case (although in my personal situation I happen to have an extra, that's beside the point), and you're at $1700 for the SC. Not ripping you off, but not a steal for you either. If the Gold top Gen 1 SC is on your bucket list you may want to look deeper. If not pass.
Yeah...that's how I translated what he had to say as well about never bonding with PRS's.
As far as parts, electronics, and pickups go, I have enough PRS parts laying around to spruce this SC up, but pickup wise I would just throw in a set of SD Pegasus & Sentinet pups and call it good. I have a 2002 SC w/the original #7's in it, so I have that going for me. I'm just weary of the frets on this guitar yeah he may be being honest, but he could also be smooth talking.
Sad reality is, is that a SC goldy w/ moon pearl inlays is on my bucket list. I thought about offering him $1,200 for the guitar plus the $70 for shipping and see what he says, even though he said $1,370 is his bottom dollar...never hurts to ask

If he has no Reverb fees cause you meet him, that’s - $150 - $70 shipping…=.- $220… That’s $1280…cause of the neck finish issues I still think that is to high… at that point I’d buy a single cut S2 McCarty 594 barely used in that price range…. My buddy just bought one like new (used) from GC for $1250… a killer guitar with a great neck, pickups are ok, no finish issues ect…..and if you don’t like it down the road you can get your $$ back on resale….

just sayin…..

Last edited:
He states the guitar has minor fretwear throughout the fingerboard with the the majority being around the "g string". He said the fretwear is lightest on the wound strings and that the previous owner was a lead player. He also said the guitar shouldn't need a refret for quite some time. He mentioned the fret wear is not near that deep, and that there is enough fret material left for at least 2 fret level and crown jobs.
I don't know - looking at the pictures the seller himself put on Reverb, I don't know if I agree with his assessment of the fretwear. They don't look terrible, but to me seems more than just "minor". And even if he's right that there's enough for "at least 2 level/crown jobs", well that's more money out of your pocket to get this guitar playable.
And BTW, I really don't like the look of the finish peeling in multiple spots on the neck. Dings, dents and scratches on the body won't get worse; peeling finish likely will

I don't know - looking at the pictures the seller himself put on Reverb, I don't know if I agree with his assessment of the fretwear. They don't look terrible, but to me seems more than just "minor". And even if he's right that there's enough for "at least 2 level/crown jobs", well that's more money out of your pocket to get this guitar playable.
And BTW, I really don't like the look of the finish peeling in multiple spots on the neck. Dings, dents and scratches on the body won't get worse; peeling finish likely will
Think of it as an “anti-selling” feature.

As evidenced in this thread, most PRS customers earn our reputation as diaper wiping collectors, and wouldn’t touch that thing for less than the price of an SE.

If the days of -$1000 Cores isn’t long gone, they sure as hell got suspended.

Thanks guys for all your advice that you've posted. I messaged the seller earlier this morning. I told him I respected that he was wanting $1,370.00 bottom dollar for the guitar. I asked him if he ever changed his mind and would take $1,250.00 w/ shipping included in that price, if he would reach out to me and I would buy the guitar from him. I told him my repair guy quoted me around $250 to setup, fret-level, and take care of the flaking finish around the fretboard for me. I also told him my repair couldn't guarantee that leveling the frets would cure things, b/c seeing the issue in pictures vs. in person are two different things. I doubt I'll hear back from the seller, or if he will even counter offer, but I just thought I'd throw that bug out there to him.

Last edited:
You should hear back from him. Maybe not today but my money is on you will.. just look at the majority of opinions across the boards and it's clear there is a small market for this guitar and your offer is fair. Good luck!

Ehhh… if I wanted a guitar enough to buy it for $120 less than someone offered it to me for, I’d kick myself later if I didn’t.

I make $120 disappear every time I make salad, or buy pants, or get an oil change, or.. etc.

SE’s are $900 now, and as great as some of the S2’s are, it ain’t the same, man. IMO/YMMV

Ehhh… if I wanted a guitar enough to buy it for $120 less than someone offered it to me for, I’d kick myself later if I didn’t.

I make $120 disappear every time I make salad, or buy pants, or get an oil change, or.. etc.

SE’s are $900 now, and as great as some of the S2’s are, it ain’t the same, man. IMO/YMMV
I'm not kicking myself yet. I'm just waiting to see if he responds to my message I sent earlier, then I will go from there. I saw your post on my TGP thread on the HFS/VB pickups. I like those pickups, but I don't like, how PRS sells thems as squabbins, so those are ruled out. I mentioned putting in a SD Pegasus/ Sentient set if for some reason I get this guitar. But then again, I may install a set of Greenville Sabotuer humbuckers.

You should hear back from him. Maybe not today but my money is on you will.. just look at the majority of opinions across the boards and it's clear there is a small market for this guitar and your offer is fair. Good luck!
Thank you! I agree with you, on him getting back to me, but we shall see. I'm sure their will be a counter offer involved, or a reason as to why he can't take any less than what he offered as a bottom amount. I mean I get it in this current day and age market...he wants to make his money back on the guitar, who doesn't, but I also legitly explained why I was asking if he would take $1,250 for it...b/c I'll have prolly to spend the other $250 I'm saving on it right off the bat tofor all that I mentioned setup wise

The milky finish thing was I think fixed after a certain year, so its a known issue, it did bug me on one guitar though, but its not restricted to that guitar

Wear and tear.....when my satin finish was pristine I loved it, few years later and wear and tear......after the first angst, learnt to embrace it for an accelerated aged look courtesy of prs skinny nitro over open pore guitar

I'm not kicking myself yet. I'm just waiting to see if he responds to my message I sent earlier, then I will go from there. I saw your post on my TGP thread on the HFS/VB pickups. I like those pickups, but I don't like, how PRS sells thems as squabbins, so those are ruled out. I mentioned putting in a SD Pegasus/ Sentient set if for some reason I get this guitar. But then again, I may install a set of Greenville Sabotuer humbuckers.
Word! Yeah, I’m not really advocating for a HFS/VB set, or disparaging whatever pickups are in there.

I just wanted to say in the end, I have overpaid for guitars (and have also made out like a bandit) and the enjoyment and inspiration I have gotten from my favorite guitars (and taking chances on some) has always outweighed whatever they cost, especially years down the road.

I don’t regret money spent or lost on electric guitars as much as I do on the myriad of dumb s**t we humans have to spend on for one reason or another.

I love a deal as much as the next guy, but, if this axe really scratches an itch for you, I think life’s too short to let a couple hundred bucks get in the way. If not an itch scratcher, let it go, and don’t look back.

Back