Buying a "twin" or "brother/sister" guitar of one that you already have?

Going Modal

I should be practicing right now.
So, I have this one McCarty with the "artist package" (meaning, among other things, it has a fabulous top that is graded above a 10-top) and it's got a finish/color that I rarely see on any other PRSi. Not the best color ever, but at least it's less-commonplace. But I love this guitar. Like... I love it. It is the purest, simplest, most musical instrument and it defines for me the essence of why PRS are great. I suppose the 57/08 pickups are part of that... ;)

My question is this--is it weird that I sort of want to either (A) buy its McCarty Singlecut "brother" if I ever find it, for no reason other than to have a matching pair? Or (B) if I ever find an exact "twin" just like it for sale [spoiler alert: I just did], god forbid, should I buy another one exactly like it?

That's weird, right? Like, I don't need a "backup" guitar in the same color as if I were a touring pro and that guitar was somehow central to my schtick. Would I be creating some sort of "super pair" whereby the sum of the 2 would someday be more valuable than each individually? I doubt it--it's not like they're Limited Editions. Has anybody else ever thought of doing this, or have you done it? Maybe I just have OCD and feel the need to start connecting guitars back into ordered pairs or groupings..?

I get wanting to do it. I've have similar thoughts, but I always end up back at why? Then I add something else for diversity.. even if it's differnet pickups. And am much happier for it.

A- Hell ya!
B- Vote Weird.

Not weird at all. Any guitar I’m gigging with will have a second, both as a backup and as a variation in looks and feel. No two guitars I’ve had, even exact model matches, play exactly the same, so it’s a bit of variety without the need to totally revamp the amp settings.

Even if you’re not gigging, there’s no harm in having more of what you like. And if it was “weird,” it’s a good sort of weird.

So, I have this one McCarty with the "artist package" (meaning, among other things, it has a fabulous top that is graded above a 10-top) and it's got a finish/color that I rarely see on any other PRSi. Not the best color ever, but at least it's less-commonplace. But I love this guitar. Like... I love it. It is the purest, simplest, most musical instrument and it defines for me the essence of why PRS are great. I suppose the 57/08 pickups are part of that... ;)

My question is this--is it weird that I sort of want to either (A) buy its McCarty Singlecut "brother" if I ever find it, for no reason other than to have a matching pair? Or (B) if I ever find an exact "twin" just like it for sale [spoiler alert: I just did], god forbid, should I buy another one exactly like it?

That's weird, right? Like, I don't need a "backup" guitar in the same color as if I were a touring pro and that guitar was somehow central to my schtick. Would I be creating some sort of "super pair" whereby the sum of the 2 would someday be more valuable than each individually? I doubt it--it's not like they're Limited Editions. Has anybody else ever thought of doing this, or have you done it? Maybe I just have OCD and feel the need to start connecting guitars back into ordered pairs or groupings..?

I, also as someone who has a very OCD regulated mind, can at least relate to the concept of what your saying regarding having a "twin," as the thought also crossed my mind given that I have a Wood Library Special SH with some specialized features, and the thought of ever seeing one even mostly similar (which I have personally yet to see myself) would be fascinating. But would I actually purchase it if I ever did come across it? Not likely. I think it would be neat to see, and I more than likely would see myself reaching out to the person who ended up purchasing it to advise them of their doppelganger guitar existence and maybe share photos and do a fun post showing the two, and just how closely similar they may or may not be 🙂

Back