Buying a New Guitar

Discussion in 'Electric Instruments' started by Micky_Stone, Apr 25, 2017.

1. Micky_Stone

Micky_Stone New Member

Hello from Perú. Please I need your advice about buying a new guitar. Nowadays I'm just play at home for fun and not playing in a band anymore. So saying that Do you think it's ok to buy a PRS SE CUSTOM 24 just for play at home??

Please I need your help and advice.
    Thanks.

#1 Micky_Stone, Apr 25, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 25, 2017
  2. veinbuster

veinbuster Zombie Three, DFZ

Sure it is.
    I strongly advocate getting the nicest guitar you can regardless of where you play. The PRS SE Custom 24 will treat you well for a long time.

Ovibos, dmatthews and Micky_Stone like this.
  3. alantig

alantig Zombie Four, DFZ

What veinbuster said. It's okay to buy any guitar to play anywhere. Whatever makes you happiest. I'm a big advocate of going for the best you can afford - the better the guitar feels, plays and sounds, the more you'll pick it up.

4. AP515

AP515 Mostly Normal

Wise council from the two above me. Get the best guitar you can afford. Same with the amp. You will be happier and play more.

Y bienvenidos! Necesitamos mas gente de la tierra al Sur!:)

Micky_Stone likes this.
  5. toothace

toothace Zombie Thirteen, DFZ

I concur with these other guys...get the best you can afford ( this holds true for pretty much anything I believe...).

6. bodia

bodia Authorities said.....best leave it.....unsolved

I jump on the bandwagon of what the others have said!

7. Micky_Stone

Micky_Stone New Member

Many thanks for you replies. I'm going to surf at Guitar Center in these days because they have Guitar-A-Thon special offers.

#7 Micky_Stone, Apr 25, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2017
  8. Micky_Stone

Micky_Stone New Member

Gracias AP515; Esperemos ser mas...

9. shinksma

shinksma What? I get a title?

Good advice.

But this thread probably belongs in one of the other sub-fora, like "General Discussion" or "Electric Instruments", since this is the "PRS News" sub-forum. Maybe the OP can request it be moved there?

10. Niteride

Niteride New Member

Micky I literally woke, worked, ate, drank, slept, dreamt and drulled, and then repeated, over purchasing a PRS. CHAMPAGNE WISHES & CAVIER DREAMS! If you haven't done the research, spend the time and ask questions. I even did a factory visit. That will surely give you GAS. All my purchases are for feel first, tone second, and looks last. You can get all three at almost any price. I spent hours and weeks (actually months) bent on a 408, and then a "Paul's". Decided not to buy a PRS AT ALL, a month ago. Went window shopping Saturday & just purchased a unique 2017 PRS Custom 24, with many of the options I would have paid more for to get in a 408 or "Paul's". Keep in mind one simple customization usually puts you into "Private Stock" ($$$$$). If you haven't purchased yet, do the research. I found a beauty. PRS doesn't like to give you much in the way of technical specs (proprietary), and they tend to try to make models color specific, limiting what you can purchase in a given model. i.e.: Try getting a good definition of exactly what "hybrid hardware" is and includes on the website; watch a video with Paul talking about the 85/15 and 58/15 pick-ups, and realize he didn't say anything about the 58/15 or the 58/15LT. So many choices!

11. bodia

Hybrid hardware usually indicates two finishes. For example, I have a SC 594 with Hybrid hardware. That would be gold lug screws on the pickups, gold tuner keys, etc. Simple customization prices would depend on what you're looking for. You can look at the Wood Library runs that Dealers will do. They will usually have some special appointments. Then you'd have Artist Package, which allows you to customize your order with the dealer. This would be upgraded tops, from a visual standpoint, access to a completely different choice of finish colors. Here's the AP specs for an example:

http://www.prsguitars.com/index.php/electrics/core/408_2017

12. CVS

CVS Not so new member

I would not think twice about buying any guitar to play only at home. Whatever kind of guitar it is that inspires you to play, you should play. No second thoughts. Don't look back.

Casi1, Tucson Thump and veinbuster like this.
  13. Niteride

Niteride New Member

Thanks for the link. Must have looked at this 100 times. This little beauty I dug deep for is a Custom 24 wood library quilted 10 top, with natural korina neck & back, cocobolo fretboard and rosewood headstock, old school birds (& hybrid hardware). The finish is called Teal Fade. (I've never fallen in love with "burst" in any color on any guitar). The FADE starts dark at the base of the guitar and lightens as it passes the bridge and continues to lighten to the bouts. Just not sure if it has locking tuners (or how much I really care). Although I wasn't clear, my question was about whether or not hybrid hardware included locking tuners. The spec's didn't elaborate on that. The case is black leather w/ paisley imprint (I think) & blue interior. Extraordinary instrument & case by specification thanks to MSL. Arrival any day now! Pic to follow!

bodia likes this.
  14. bodia

That sounds like a great guitar! It should have Phase III locking tuners.

15. duhdewd

duhdewd New Member

Hey Micky, I wouldn't hesitate to pick up a PRS for home use only. I'm with the rest of the guys on this, get the best one your money will buy. Since they're having guitar-a-thon see if you can nab an S2 for a deal, having a USA built model for dang near the price of an SE would be bangin.

16. Bumpy Dog

Bumpy Dog New Member

Just play loads of guitars, one will speak to you

CVS likes this.
  17. Casi1

Casi1 New Member

Hello,

I'd say yes... I think any guitar that you like to play is okay just to play at home. Or in a car. Or in a garage. Or in the bathroom. Or in the closet. Or in the classroom. Or in the office. Or on a boat. Or in a coat.

:)

I'm not in a band or anything (because I'm a rookie who is just learning how to play) so I play everything only at home. Its cool.

CVS likes this.
  18. GuitarDrummer

GuitarDrummer New Member

Sure!

I have both expensive and cheap guitars. My PRS is a Custom 24 Artist Pack, which ranks on the scale of 1-10 as an 11. I will probably be taking it to a session next month, but most of the time I play at home. I also have a $150 Fender acoustic, for those times when I might want to play in the park and don't want to take my expensive Breedlove Myrtlewood into the wild elements.

What all of my guitars have in common is that I love to play them. No matter the cost, this should be your top criteria. Love to play it, and it inspires you to pick it up.

19. Lee B.

Lee B. I stitch my wings and pull the strings.

I have two Maryland PRSs and I play at home. My wife indeed questions my need, but music is my sole hobby and I don't really spend big bucks on anything else. I prowled local stores and Reverb for months to get good bargains on well kept PRSi, and if you already play a bit and know what to look out for, it's the path I'd recommend for hobbyists on a budget. As far as new PRSi on a budget, I've heard nothing but wonderful reviews of the Korean made SEs. I wouldn't mind a SE One actually, except that I promised my wife no more guitars for a few years. ;-)

20. CVS

CVS Not so new member

Have played in all the locations you reference - for better or for worse:rolleyes: