Buy Back Guitars....

38Roars

Bless the Blues
So I ventured into a local GC and found one of my guitars hanging on the wall at a price that ... Well got my attention!
I left without it thinking I moved it for a reason but now I'm thinking if I get a 15% coupon maybe I should bring her home.

What's your experiences on bringing them back home?
Pass or give it another try?

I've considered it a couple of times, but never done it. All those I've sold were done so as they weren't cutting it, and as I 'upgraded' to the ones I kept. I can't see myself ever buying any back.

So I ventured into a local GC and found one of my guitars hanging on the wall at a price that ... Well got my attention!
I left without it thinking I moved it for a reason but now I'm thinking if I get a 15% coupon maybe I should bring her home.

What's your experiences on bringing them back home?
Pass or give it another try?

you can't GROW forward,by moving backwards.

Last edited:
I have bought them back several times in the past. I once owned the same 67 Ric 3 different times & I currently have one of my old ones enroute right now :D

To be fair I think you've owned roughly 76% of all available guitars on the market at one point or another :cheers:

My first PRS was an Emerald Green '95 McCarty that I bought new, and have owned twice very happily.
I sold it the first time in 2000 to help fund a McRosie...
I came across it on da interwebz in 2005 at Voltage Guitars in Cali which is a bit of a haul from Beantown...
It was priced at more than I paid for it new, so I let it pass...
I then saw it in 2008 on da interwebz at a different place out west at a slightly better price, at which point I bought it back...
I kept it until I sold off most of my guitars "down to fightin weight"...
I just recently saw it for sale on da interwebz again...
can't say I am not tempted, as it is my most bonded insturment besides my '08 early birded DGT goldtop and my Lester...
Not only did it change my life tonally forever(read: game changer) but I gigged the snot out of it for the 5 years I originally owned it, and it helped me find and define my "voice"...
If I ever did buy it back, it would get a set of DGT frets(as I am now a fan) and maybe a treble bleed kit...
When last I owned it, I had tried a lot of pickups in it that were really good(even though the stock McCarty's were excellent)...
Grissom Pickups did not work as well with that set of wood, but Wolfetone Dr. Vintages sounded great, and 59/09s were loaded in it when I last sold it that sounded killer as well. If it came back I would probably drop the obligitory 59/09 bridge and 57/08 neck combo in it and it would likely sing like the gods...

I've done that before and each time reminded after a short while why I was ok with letting that particular guitar go. With that said, I've mostly sold in favor of something else. There is one particular late 90's prototype Korina SG that haunts me. Wasn't looking to sell, but received a ridiculous offer and made a hasty decision.

I've done that before and each time reminded after a short while why I was ok with letting that particular guitar go. With that said, I've mostly sold in favor of something else. There is one particular late 90's prototype Korina SG that haunts me. Wasn't looking to sell, but received a ridiculous offer and made a hasty decision.

On that note, the one that I would really like to get back is the McKorina I sold... OUTSTANDING tonal instrument... :-/

It would probably be as successful as dating a former girlfriend or wife ...

... meaning it might seem like a good idea at the time, but you will probably soon remember why you got rid of it.

My old Studio that Derek @ MGI has still kinda haunts me. Especially the thought of it with a 59/09 in the bridge position...

No not tempted... I've only sold two
An EVH Wolfgang with one of the best quilts EVER. But I'm not a quilt guy. Second thing was the neck HB was unusable...sounded like a wet blanket - no harmonic content, no sparkle - no nothing. I saw it back for sale onTGP last month. No interest in buying it back.

The second was a Gilmore CS Strat - it was an "OKAY" guitar - love the look, classic black. played fair and sounded okay but when I play'd a 1K buck American Strat and thought it played and sounded better - I sold the Gilmore. Plus I was always worried about dinging it..

The good news was the EVH funded my P22 and the $$ from the Gilmore is still in the "Guitar Fund" waiting for the right opportunity to come along... :D

I don't know... guitar-wise anyway, 38Roars has had some pretty stellar ex-girlfriends...

I would want to know which one it was.

Anyway - I have had sellers remorse on a couple of guitars, and I did buy one back, my first McTrem. purple, 10 top and birds. Purple was not a production color for McCarty's and neither were tremolos at the time.

The buyer called me on a whim, said he was going to sell it, thought I might want it back. I kept it longer than probably any PRS I've owned - but alas, I did let it go again later.

Back