But I'm SUPPOSED To Have This Amp...

László

Too Many Notes
Took a fun little quiz on Reverb today; you answer some questions, and it tells you what kind of amp you should have.

Mine came up 'Plexi'.

LOL. Hey, I just happen to have a Plexi style amp handy, the HXDA. Wonder of wonders! ;)

Mesa Boogie MKII! I wasn't expecting that. Having said that, I know virtually nothing about this particular amp... Will check it out.

LP (SC594) and Orange OR120 for me. I know nothing about the OR120. Guess I'll have to google it.

I took the guitar quiz and got "Strat" -- nope, wrong. I do own a strat, but it's not my main player at all. I think I'm done with stupid quizzes. Still like Reverb, though.

Took two quizzes. evidently I play a PRS through a tweed Bassman. Close enough...

Paco is the man but the question was, who was the most influential or some such thing, and flamenco didn't drive my early influences.

Took a fun little quiz on Reverb today; you answer some questions, and it tells you what kind of amp you should have.

Mine came up 'Plexi'.

LOL. Hey, I just happen to have a Plexi style amp handy, the HXDA. Wonder of wonders! ;)

I'm in a 12 step program because of Reverb.

I'm in a 12 step program because of Reverb.

Dude, we're all in a 12 step program; 12 steps to getting another guitar! ;)

1. Hear about guitar.
2. See pic of guitar.
3. Listen to clip of guitar.
4. Read review of guitar.
5. Start hinting to significant other that maybe you're looking for guitar.
6. Scour Internet to find out who stocks guitar.
7. Play a few.
8. Check bank account.
9. Check credit card balance.
10. Pick guitar you want.
11. Sell something you're not using anymore/sell soul to devil/rob bank/sell kidney.
12. Buy guitar.

Rinse and repeat!

I got "PRS, Suhr, or other premium modern instrument" and "69 Super Lead Plexi."

The guitarist that truly most influenced me (David Gilmour) wasn't in the list of options - so I went with Jimmy Page, since LZ was a big part of my high school years, I suppose.

The classic-amp quiz asked me to pick "my instrument", and since I play PRS, none of them are appropriate, IMHO - I picked a LP because of the HBs, but I play a lot of single coil stuff too, and a strat would have been just as good a choice for much of what I play.

Guitar: PRS, Suhr, or other premium modern instrument

Amp: Marshall 1959 Super Lead "Plexi"

Quizzes are usually well off base, this one I'm half-and-half on: I don't own a Plexi or any Marshall style amp, but perhaps I should? (Yes: I yearn for an HX/DA.)

Last edited:
Quizzes are usually well off base, this one I'm half-and-half on: I don't own a Plexi or any Marshall style amp, but perhaps I should? (Yes: I yearn for an HX/DA.)

I think it's pretty much a foregone conclusion that you need an HXDA.

Hell, everyone does. ;)

PRS accomplished their goal with the HX/DA. They got primo and famous examples of a couple great amps used on classic albums by iconic guitarists, then duplicate those amps exactly. Done!

So, don't hate me for saying this... Now that those have been out a few years, IMHO, PRS should take exactly what's there, and another switchable gain stage so that you could still have exactly what you have now, or switch in another gain stage. They could call it the HX/DA/VH... if you get my drift... Some of the other boutique guys are doing plexi circuits but adding another gain stage, with very successful results. (RedPlate, etc). I think it's a logical next step and would be VERY popular!

Back