Building The Perfect PRS Private Stock Beast!

WildWestGuitars

Wild_West_Guitars
Authorized PRS Dealer
Building The Perfect PRS Private Stock Beast: A Winter Gray Rocktober Day in Wonkaville

The PRS Private Stock #5438 Winter Gray P22 with trem, the feathered-crotch walnut-back brainchild of Pfennrock, known on the forums as the infamous 11Top, marks the first-time use of the icy-steel color. Winter Gray! She commemorates the wild ride to Wonkaville that we took back in Rocktober, 2014. The sea was angry that day. Pfennrock and I had just swam "the channel," our name for The Chesapeake Bay. Paul Smith had fired up the chain saw and was cutting up an amazing chunk of feathered-crotch walnut. A cold, blustery Rocktober day, I remember Tina insisted on making and serving her delicious piping-hot homemade chicken soup. Paul Miles ran windsprints in the parking lot. Pfenninger spied the amazing chunk of feathered-crotch walnut. We exchanged knowing glances. I saw it in Pfennrock's eyes. There was a gleam. Yes, a gleeeeeeam! Pfennrock, adorned in his trademark Joseph A. Bank black-leather sportcoat, moved like a molten-metal madman, securing a killer chunk of chevron quilt maple, a ferocious flame-maple neck, a black-as-night ebony fretboard and cutting-edge 5815 pickups hot off the grill. Several months later, we find ourselves in the presence of the hand-selected Pfennrock-edition Wild West PRS Private Stock Powerhouse P22 of The Ages. The electric/piezo vision of 11Top! Straight outta Wonkaville! The Beast from The East is now available on The Dusty Plains of The Wild West. The same magic Private Stock Wood Library journey can take place for anyone with the mindset to achieve an amazing exotic tonewood axe that brings to life a guitar vision. Brazilian Rosewood, Pernambuco, Coco Bolo, Chaltecoco, Ebony, Tasmanian Blackwood, African Blackwood, Killer Quilt and Flame Maple, Birdseye Maple, Peruvian Mahogany, Swamp Ash, Pau Ferro; Ka-Pow! All of these exotic flavors are ripe, red-hot and ready for the taking. Afterward, in celebration, we rode a river of ice-cold ones at The Jetty, as Paul Smith and Paul Miles arm-wrestled and drank whiskey. Let's Rock The Ram's Head! -DFD

prs-p22-trem-private-stock-5438-winter-grey-216529-8-(6)__wwg.jpg

7201.a0868777d9912871fc269931e48b8e06.jpg

IMG_4467.jpg

Rams%20Head_a.jpg

Last edited:
Bangin'! (in the night)
Thank you, Serge Protector!
Reminds me of the time you and I got busy and swam the channel as Top Gun rivals. We've had some great, athletic, party times out there on The Bay.
The entire PRS whirlwind ride is like an Annapolis TSUNAMI! DFD
Zoolander-Magnum.png

Reminds me of the time you and I got busy and swam the channel as Top Gun rivals.

Exactly!

I remember it was there; at Top Gun, that we settled upon the name of this F-14 gray-shaded freedom machine...

It was after a game of beach volleyball, (but before the mock combat mission that ended up injuring geese_com by leaving your wingman JFB, to go after Viper for a sale and leaving JFB exposed to a Tom Anderson dealer, which resulted in your engines failing, thus subjecting you to a controlled tailspin that only one of you (not geese_com) would eject safely from) where we had bet the naming rights depending on the winning outcome.

Which is why after the Freedom of Information Act, we can now declassify the codename for PS#5438 as: Iceman.

Which is why after the Freedom of Information Act, we can now declassify the codename for PS#5438 as: Iceman.[/QUOTE]

True, Serge Protector, we have done some of our most intriguing Private Stock builds in the heat of passionate athletics.
I remember the night back in the Wham! heyday, after a full-day of beach volleyball and swimming the Chesapeake Bay, when JFB, you and I got lit up on pina coladas and found ourselves backstage, on the brink of getting Wham guitarist Andrew Ridgeley to start using a PRS Custom 24 instead of his Claptonesque stratocaster.
article-2708467-2011604C00000578-362_634x633.jpg

DFD

True, Serge Protector, we have done some of our most intriguing Private Stock builds in the heat of passionate athletics.
I remember the night back in the Wham! heyday, after a full-day of beach volleyball and swimming the Chesapeake Bay, when JFB, you and I got lit up on pina coladas and found ourselves backstage, on the brink of getting Wham guitarist Andrew Ridgeley to start using a PRS Custom 24 instead of his Claptonesque stratocaster.

That's the one things about being a legendary musician that nobody ever talks about: Athleticism.

Make no mistake, music is a contest.
The best musicians know that maintaining a health body and tan are of paramount importance to the perception of the populace of your creative relevance in society. George Michael and Andrew Ridgeley knew this, which is why they wagered Andrew's switch to a CU 24 over a game of "chicken".

It may have been the Pina Coladas, it may have been the sun, but we learned a hard lesson about what it takes to rumble with musical champions that day.

I can't imagine the magnitude of shrivelage involved with swimming the Bay. You guys must have consulted Mr. Michaels to take the proper insulating precautions. But I can see why that top is a symbol of that day of high-speed swimming. :rock:

That's the one things about being a legendary musician that nobody ever talks about: Athleticism.

Make no mistake, music is a contest.
The best musicians know that maintaining a health body and tan are of paramount importance to the perception of the populace of your creative relevance in society. George Michael and Andrew Ridgeley knew this, which is why they wagered Andrew's switch to a CU 24 over a game of "chicken".

It may have been the Pina Coladas, it may have been the sun, but we learned a hard lesson about what it takes to rumble with musical champions that day.
Great point, Serge Protector! True champions know that preparation is the key to victory. I don't know how we lost to Michael and Ridgeley that hot summer afternoon, but life lessons are character-building exercises.
Speaking of characters, this scene in Top Gun always reminds me of our wild, unbridled Annapolis nights, amped-up and ready to throw down at any time, like Maverick!
Screen-Shot-2014-10-19-at-21.57.37.png

DFD

Last edited:
Back