Build your $3,000 dream rig

Well, if money is no object, that might disqualify a good portion of the forum membership, simply because there aren't enough silver spoons to go around...:oops:

Though, seriously, the professional wage-earners on this forum have an unfair advantage scooping up delectable PSi. Even though I played that game some years ago and lost out on a lot of money buying/selling, I think I learned my lesson about collecting for the sake of collecting and dreaming big.

More practical regards spending now, and living on a fixed income, my days of "Dream Rig" are behind me, and not because for complaint of lack of money. More correctly, for need of living within my budget. Not unless my stock portfolio made a drastic uptick and tripled in value would I ever consider handing over my hard-earned cash on a dream rig.

Sorry, gents, you can dream big for a dream rig, but silver spoons no gots.

Well, if money is no object, that might disqualify a good portion of the forum membership, simply because there aren't enough silver spoons to go around...:oops:

Though, seriously, the professional wage-earners on this forum have an unfair advantage scooping up delectable PSi. Even though I played that game some years ago and lost out on a lot of money buying/selling, I think I learned my lesson about collecting for the sake of collecting and dreaming big.

More practical regards spending now, and living on a fixed income, my days of "Dream Rig" are behind me, and not because for complaint of lack of money. More correctly, for need of living within my budget. Not unless my stock portfolio made a drastic uptick and tripled in value would I ever consider handing over my hard-earned cash on a dream rig.

A dream rig doesn’t have to be attainable; that’s why it’s a dream rig!

On the other hand, despite my fumbling, bumbling and lack of perspective, I’ve somehow managed to make mine reality. If I can acquire my very own dream rig, believe me, anyone can.

Should I put it as a quote, and signed by Les? :p

d7pT5s1.jpg

A dream rig doesn’t have to be attainable; that’s why it’s a dream rig!

On the other hand, despite my fumbling, bumbling and lack of perspective, I’ve somehow managed to make mine reality. If I can acquire my very own dream rig, believe me, anyone can.

Well, congratulations, Les. Your comments about "dream rig" are commendable, considering you've quantified what it means when you say "dream rig." However, it was interesting to note this morning an article from the head of Chicago Academy of the Arts...Jason Patera, the prefect, wrote about 10 things described as his Annual Dispensing of Unsolicited Advice...

Allow me to begin with bullet point #4....Jason writes...

"4) The more you get, the more you want. If you think you'll be happier when you have more something -- more money, more stuff, more power, more success -- you're never going to have enough. "More" becomes "normal" shockingly fast, and when the novelty wears off, you feel exactly the same as you felt before...

5) Instant gratification is not the same as happiness. Much of the modern world -- your phone, your Juul, your credit card -- is designed to trick you into thinking you're happy. They're really just stealing your time and your money...

9) Develop the courage to be disliked. Have high expectations for the people around you. Think for yourself and don't be afraid to express well-founded but unpopular opinions. Have uncomfortable conversations. Don't be an a--------, but also don't be a clone, or a pushover."

While the head of Chicago's Academy for the Arts wrote this for his commencement speech this year, it does make sense to me that many people doggedly hear this advice, but it will go in one ear and out the other, making no lasting impression, nor reaching anyone's heart, which would allow people to change their attitude about material things.

Many people may feel that it is "OK" to desire great wealth and material things, but tragically, end up sacrificing their health, time and effort because of "chasing their dream." If we were to take a hard look at what drives people to attain wealth, position, power or fame, would we not see that is is their ego and self-importance? A hope of making a name for themselves?

My personal feeling is that a person who does not seek personal glory is the one who will attain it, and the one who offers his time, energy, resources, and efforts in service towards others is the one who will be blessed with the things he or she most desires.

Again, your view of "dream rig" is commendable. I hope your avatar motto also allows you to "hear this" so it will reach you and help change your viewpoint of how acquiring wealth and material things might be understood. Not necessarily a view from a person who does not have wealth, but more from a balanced view of how one might view these things.

The More you get, the more you want may well be considered an addiction. Some people may well be addicted to purchasing gear like Guitars, Amps, Pedals etc but there are people who are more than content with a fixed number - whether that is a 'high' number or low. There are people that feel that if one guitar is coming in, another has to be going out. Some may well be trading up, start off with a budget friendly instrument and trade up until the get the 'dream' guitar. There are people that feel if a guitar isn't getting played much, then its time to sell. Not everyone is acquiring 'more' just because the more you get, the more you want.

Instant gratification can exist in different ways for different people and its not always related to spending money - maybe there is an initial outlay - like buying a 'Line 6 Helix' for example, but that can lead to 'instant' gratification down the road, discover a new preset, get an update that offers a new Amp/Cab or FX that lead to a moment of inspiration when you play your guitar. It doesn't have to material items either, bumping into an old friend, hearing an old track that you haven't heard for years etc. Not everyone needs some 'retail therapy' for instant gratification and some can find that in things they already have - reconnecting with some old gear that has strong memories attached - like finding your favourite pair of shoes, you favourite jumper in the back of a wardrobe, finding your old guitar in a case at the back of a cupboard that hasn't been played for years etc and getting instant gratification. Point is, you can get instant gratification from stuff you already own - it doesn't necessarily come from acquiring something 'new'.

Having the courage to speak your mind, regardless of whether its the same opinion as the majority or not is something I do and agree with. I do think that helps people grow as a person but only if you have the ability to listen too. If you don't agree with what you are hearing, that's fair enough but you also need to listen - especially if you want your voice to be heard too. Not everyone agrees which leads to healthy discussion and learning. Its possible that your opinion is 'wrong', maybe through lack of research, evidence or acquired the information from someone else who was wrong. However if you don't listen, someone who is right, presenting the evidence to back up their knowledge, you will forever be wrong and not 'grow' as a person. Sometimes, you have to accept that what your thought you knew was actually incorrect but by listening and accepting evidence that contradicts your belief, you can grow.

A 'dream' rig can be obtainable on a reasonable budget. Not everyones dream is to own a Private Stock with some 'bespoke' and incredibly artistic inlays (like the Dragon Guitars), not everyone wants a Dumble Amp. Some people can be more than happy with an SE of their choice, a pedal platform Fender and a 5/6 pedals - good enough to gig with, no fear of your guitar getting marked in any way etc. They may prefer to spend money on experiences, like going on holiday, may prefer to spend money on their home, their garden etc. Not every 'penny' (or cent) they earn goes to the necessities like rent, bills, groceries etc so any 'spare' money can be used to buy things they 'need' for their leisure activities/hobbies. There is a difference in disposable income between people - depending on how much they earn and how much money they have to spend on necessities and not everyone takes out a 'loan' to spend more than they have to buy a 'core' PRS for example for that 'instant gratification'. Some people (like myself for example) will save up for the expensive items that cost more than their monthly disposable income, may sacrifice on other leisure/luxury items in order to save 'more' each month, may not have the same overheads as others Mortgage/loans all paid off, don't have gas guzzling cars that cost a lot to run, insure and maintain, no expensive monthly mobile phone tariff to have the latest smartphone, don't go on holiday or have a big family with lots of birthdays and Christmas to eat away at your disposable income.

$3k may not be a lot of money for some people too - if you only end up with $30 a week as disposable income, $3k is 100 weeks - nearly 2 years of saving assuming they don't have to buy anything out of that for themselves or others. For someone with $150 a week, that's only 20wks, more than $150 and you cut that savings time down even further. If you have $1k a month ($250 a week) - that's only 3months (12 weeks) of saving and $3k won't seem quite as big a number as it would to the Person with only $30 a week.

The More you get, the more you want may well be considered an addiction. Some people may well be addicted to purchasing gear like Guitars, Amps, Pedals etc but there are people who are more than content with a fixed number - whether that is a 'high' number or low. There are people that feel that if one guitar is coming in, another has to be going out. Some may well be trading up, start off with a budget friendly instrument and trade up until the get the 'dream' guitar. There are people that feel if a guitar isn't getting played much, then its time to sell. Not everyone is acquiring 'more' just because the more you get, the more you want.

This is my current mindset. It's interesting that Mr. Patera mentions the emotional effect of receiving something new, until the novelty wears off. Modern-day advertisers know how the human psyche works, and encourage spending to satisfy one's emotions. Not always does this work...a man eats until he is satisfied, but always grows hungry again...the same emotions are at work regards acquiring material things...

Instant gratification can exist in different ways for different people and its not always related to spending money - maybe there is an initial outlay - like buying a 'Line 6 Helix' for example, but that can lead to 'instant' gratification down the road, discover a new preset, get an update that offers a new Amp/Cab or FX that lead to a moment of inspiration when you play your guitar. It doesn't have to material items either, bumping into an old friend, hearing an old track that you haven't heard for years etc. Not everyone needs some 'retail therapy' for instant gratification and some can find that in things they already have - reconnecting with some old gear that has strong memories attached - like finding your favourite pair of shoes, you favourite jumper in the back of a wardrobe, finding your old guitar in a case at the back of a cupboard that hasn't been played for years etc and getting instant gratification. Point is, you can get instant gratification from stuff you already own - it doesn't necessarily come from acquiring something 'new'.

I think Mr. Patera was referring to instant gratification from ordering something of material value, and the psychological emotional release once feels once they've received the item. The catharsis one feels upon delivery of goods, IOW.

Having the courage to speak your mind, regardless of whether its the same opinion as the majority or not is something I do and agree with. I do think that helps people grow as a person but only if you have the ability to listen too. If you don't agree with what you are hearing, that's fair enough but you also need to listen - especially if you want your voice to be heard too. Not everyone agrees which leads to healthy discussion and learning. Its possible that your opinion is 'wrong', maybe through lack of research, evidence or acquired the information from someone else who was wrong. However if you don't listen, someone who is right, presenting the evidence to back up their knowledge, you will forever be wrong and not 'grow' as a person. Sometimes, you have to accept that what your thought you knew was actually incorrect but by listening and accepting evidence that contradicts your belief, you can grow.

Yes, we all need to hear and listen when something of importance is said, and preferably with an open-mind. It's when people close their ears to important information that they're likely to miss out on something of value. It's also understood that people have their own viewpoints, not necessarily correct ones, but ones that may be advancing their own agenda for an ends to a means.

A 'dream' rig can be obtainable on a reasonable budget...There is a difference in disposable income between people - depending on how much they earn and how much money they have to spend on necessities and not everyone takes out a 'loan' to spend more than they have to buy a 'core' PRS for example for that 'instant gratification'. Some people (like myself for example) will save up for the expensive items that cost more than their monthly disposable income, may sacrifice on other leisure/luxury items in order to save 'more' each month, may not have the same overheads as others Mortgage/loans all paid off, don't have gas guzzling cars that cost a lot to run, insure and maintain, no expensive monthly mobile phone tariff to have the latest smartphone, don't go on holiday or have a big family with lots of birthdays and Christmas to eat away at your disposable income.

$3k may not be a lot of money for some people too - if you only end up with $30 a week as disposable income, $3k is 100 weeks - nearly 2 years of saving assuming they don't have to buy anything out of that for themselves or others. For someone with $150 a week, that's only 20wks, more than $150 and you cut that savings time down even further. If you have $1k a month ($250 a week) - that's only 3months (12 weeks) of saving and $3k won't seem quite as big a number as it would to the Person with only $30 a week.

This lends itself to the notion of saving instead of spending frivolously on credit, compared to being subject to debt rather than solvency. In review, in order to fund any significant purchase one does not have the immediate funds for, the one-in-one-out rule works amazingly well for folks who may not have a lot of savings with which luxury purchases can be made. And to qualify this, "luxury" means items that are not "needs," but "wants." People "need" shelter, food, clothing and heat. Many "want' other things that may not be necessary, but are only desires.

Last edited:
Easy.

Amp : £450 DV Mark DV Jazz 12 Guitar Amp Combo (clean, no FX, no tubes).

Signal Processor: £750 Line 6 Helix Lite (never use pedals)

(That’s £1,200 spent leaving £1,800 for a guitar)

IF... the SE Custom 24 is still made in Korea. I would get one of those at £800. But If it’s now made anywhere else, then I’d get a

S2 Mira at £1,150

change = £650 to £1,000

plenty of change for an after gig supper anyway.

Of course, these are new prices. Used PRS are cheap.I know where I can get a McCarty Custom 22 right now for £1,200

Well, congratulations, Les. Your comments about "dream rig" are commendable, considering you've quantified what it means when you say "dream rig." However, it was interesting to note this morning an article from the head of Chicago Academy of the Arts...Jason Patera, the prefect, wrote about 10 things described as his Annual Dispensing of Unsolicited Advice...

Allow me to begin with bullet point #4....Jason writes...

"4) The more you get, the more you want. If you think you'll be happier when you have more something -- more money, more stuff, more power, more success -- you're never going to have enough. "More" becomes "normal" shockingly fast, and when the novelty wears off, you feel exactly the same as you felt before...

5) Instant gratification is not the same as happiness. Much of the modern world -- your phone, your Juul, your credit card -- is designed to trick you into thinking you're happy. They're really just stealing your time and your money...

9) Develop the courage to be disliked. Have high expectations for the people around you. Think for yourself and don't be afraid to express well-founded but unpopular opinions. Have uncomfortable conversations. Don't be an a--------, but also don't be a clone, or a pushover."

While the head of Chicago's Academy for the Arts wrote this for his commencement speech this year, it does make sense to me that many people doggedly hear this advice, but it will go in one ear and out the other, making no lasting impression, nor reaching anyone's heart, which would allow people to change their attitude about material things.

Many people may feel that it is "OK" to desire great wealth and material things, but tragically, end up sacrificing their health, time and effort because of "chasing their dream." If we were to take a hard look at what drives people to attain wealth, position, power or fame, would we not see that is is their ego and self-importance? A hope of making a name for themselves?

My personal feeling is that a person who does not seek personal glory is the one who will attain it, and the one who offers his time, energy, resources, and efforts in service towards others is the one who will be blessed with the things he or she most desires.

Again, your view of "dream rig" is commendable. I hope your avatar motto also allows you to "hear this" so it will reach you and help change your viewpoint of how acquiring wealth and material things might be understood. Not necessarily a view from a person who does not have wealth, but more from a balanced view of how one might view these things.

Honestly, I don’t have a clue why you addressed this little sermon to me. You’ve made some assumptions about my “viewpoint” that are presumptuous and, frankly, obnoxious. Yet you know nothing about me.

First, I left a very lucrative law practice 30 years ago, where I was managing partner, to go into the music business, and do something that made me happy. No one realizes more than I do that simply pursuing money isn’t a recipe for happiness.

I’m one of very few here full time in the music business. I use my gear in connection with my livelihood. I get good stuff because I think using good stuff gives me an edge in that business, and suits my workflow. And because I also like it.

Perhaps before offering unsolicited advice, think about whether it’s a good idea to presume other folks’ values based on a few tongue-in-cheek internet posts.

If you want to get all preachy and pretend that you’re somehow the fount of all wisdom, have at it, but leave me out of it.

Last edited:

nMMFhXP.jpg

Back