Buddy Guy Farewell Tour

WeFixFlats

Respect The Clave
A living legend. He's 86. Look at the tour schedule. Good grief...

The first time I saw and heard Buddy was October 5th, 1970, Rolling Stones Europe Tour, Frankfurt, Germany. He, Junior Wells and the Chicago Blues All-Stars opened for the Stones and completely upstaged them. Buddy, Junior and the band were much tighter. And yeah, that was 53 years ago...

Chicago Blues Allstars. Charlie Musselwhite and Freddie Roulette? I still listen to their album.

Last edited:
Same here. We've seen him probably five or six times over the past few years. The first time I saw him was about 1990, Buddy and Junior Wells opening for John Mayall. Well, double duty - Buddy did a set w/Junior and a solo set, and he frigging OWNED the place. Always enjoyed Mayall, but Buddy blew him away. That fire comes out in spurts now, but Buddy still owns the room when he plays. He's not coming anywhere around here, but hopefully there are a few more dates to be had.

The Cleveland show in August will also have Jimmie Vaughan and Samantha Fish? At an outdoor venue? Groovetastic.

It looked like I might have to visit my daughter to see him. But they announced a local show and I got tix.

The trip is not off the board.

I saw Buddy like 15 years ago, I was a little disappointed at the time as he played for 45 min's or so then disappeared for around 30 min's (his band kept playing without him) then he came back and played for around 20 min's more.

I saw Buddy like 15 years ago, I was a little disappointed at the time as he played for 45 min's or so then disappeared for around 30 min's (his band kept playing without him) then he came back and played for around 20 min's more.

The last couple tours, he's done a lot of schtick as part of the show. But when he plays - good lord, the man still has it. The time I saw B.B. King, he really didn't play a whole, but what he played was gold.

But the first time I saw Buddy? Early 90s, with Junior Wells, then solo, opening for John Mayall. In his two sets, Buddy basically said, "This place in mine now. I own it. And tell all your friends." He just destroyed it.

The last couple tours, he's done a lot of schtick as part of the show. But when he plays - good lord, the man still has it. The time I saw B.B. King, he really didn't play a whole, but what he played was gold.

But the first time I saw Buddy? Early 90s, with Junior Wells, then solo, opening for John Mayall. In his two sets, Buddy basically said, "This place in mine now. I own it. And tell all your friends." He just destroyed it.
I actually walked out of a BB King show in 2001 or so. He just would not stop talking. Each song was separated from the next one with 5-10 minutes of boring banter IMO! When he played it was great, but it was a beautiful day and I was at the show as part of the Love Ride motorcycle event in LA, so I hopped back on my bike and rode! He is still BB King and a great player, but I don't have the patience to sit through his stories (at least not then)! Sure wish I could see this Buddy Guy tour!

I actually walked out of a BB King show in 2001 or so. He just would not stop talking. Each song was separated from the next one with 5-10 minutes of boring banter IMO! When he played it was great, but it was a beautiful day and I was at the show as part of the Love Ride motorcycle event in LA, so I hopped back on my bike and rode! He is still BB King and a great player, but I don't have the patience to sit through his stories (at least not then)! Sure wish I could see this Buddy Guy tour!
I left a Buddy Guy show early. Never a BB King show though.

When i saw Buddy and Junior Wells at the Grande Ballroom in the 1960's they were mind blowingly good.

Saw BB there too, BTW, and it was life changing.

But I saw Buddy in Boulder in a smallish CU ballroom maybe 20 years ago and he was playing through a Marshall JCM800 half stack turned up to 11.

The treble was painful anywhere in the room. It actually hurt.

Couldn't stay in the room.

Late 80s, for me. But, same outcome. He wiped the floor with any, and all. But, the 1991 show with Buddy, Etta James and BB King was outta this world. Buddy playing in a tux!

Back