Bud Davis

]-[@n$0Ma☩!©

Zombie Zero, DFZ
One of the nicest people you will ever meet is Mr. Bud Davis of Elizabethton, Tennessee. Bud is best known for painting the original "Metal Model" paint jobs from the Magnificent 6 / NAMM 20 era through 1991. Not many people know that Bud is still out there in the world painting guitars!

Around 2008, he was commissioned to paint 10 (If memory serves me) Private Stock guitars in the Metal motif. I believe that one of them was remade or refinished so I'm not sure if the count should be 11 or not. Anyway, they are pretty neat.

A few years later I got my hands on an alder CE24 and sent it to Bud (via the PTC). While I asked Bud to "do whatever [he] wanted" in terms of the paint scheme, I did make one request - to base it loosely off the black and flamed '86 Metal model owned (at the time) by my brother Markie. It came out amazing. Later, I learned that there were others who had done the same before me - and there were more that followed.

Bud's work is the most copied motif in PRS history and the Metal Model is as popular as ever. Who knew that a design so slow to take off would become one of the most expensive vintage PRS guitars (if you can find one) today.

So, in honor of Mr. Davis, please post your Metal model.

From Left to right: '94 CE24 (refin), '86 Metal (original), Markie's '94 CU22 (refin)

3Metals.jpg

Bud_Davis_Metal_CE24.jpg

Metal3.jpg

Metal2.jpg

Metal4.jpg

Metal5.jpg

Last edited:
Hey Hans and Bob,

Thank you for the opportunity to work with you and Bud Davis. Both of these projects were a lot of fun and Bud's work on them is just jaw dropping!

There is one more sibling out there, so maybe our friend from Indiana will chime in and show us what he's got . :)

I got this "94" from my buddy GCRon. This was Ron's personal Guitar & had stock Dragon 1 P-ups. The P-ups made it perfect for a metal (IMHO). I sent the Guitar to Seattle, where Hansen whacked a big-azzed hole in it & put a 2tek bridge in her. Hansen shipped the Guitar to Shawn & the PTC boys. They stripped, sanded, painted, spit, or whatever they do to get it ready for Bud. Shawn shipped it to Bud & Bud painted it. Bud shipped it back to the PTC where the boys did all the final buffing, set-up, & sprinkled Magic Dust on it for me. Then Shawn shipped it back to me. It was everything I had hoped for! FWIW: Bud is not so good with names anymore, but that's not so bad............. have fun with it!

Currently sporting a VR TR cover............ not pictured :D

96CU24019.jpg

96CU24026.jpg

96CU24035.jpg

96CU24033.jpg

Sniff, I miss that guitar, sniff sniff.

markie said:
I got this "94" from my buddy GCRon. This was Ron's personal Guitar & had stock Dragon 1 P-ups. The P-ups made it perfect for a metal (IMHO). I sent the Guitar to Seattle, where Hansen whacked a big-azzed hole in it & put a 2tek bridge in her. Hansen shipped the Guitar to Shawn & the PTC boys. They stripped, sanded, painted, spit, or whatever they do to get it ready for Bud. Shawn shipped it to Bud & Bud painted it. Bud shipped it back to the PTC where the boys did all the final buffing, set-up, & sprinkled Magic Dust on it for me. Then Shawn shipped it back to me. It was everything I had hoped for! FWIW: Bud is not so good with names anymore, but that's not so bad............. have fun with it!

Currently sporting a VR TR cover............ not pictured :D

96CU24019.jpg

96CU24026.jpg

96CU24035.jpg

96CU24033.jpg

What's the going rate for a Metal paint job? I'd love to have a CE or SAS Metalized.
Bud's work requires initial prep and the final finishing by the PTC. If I were you, I'd email Shawn and have him put together some numbers.

It's not going to be cheap. Bud raised his fee considerably after he did mine. That said, it's nice to have a Bud Davis Metal in the collection.

Not a Bud Davis original, but my old "Metal Tribute" guitar, now moved on to a new owner...

292304918.jpg

Jamie

We just collaborated with Bud on a fourth Metal guitar. I didn’t get permission from the owner to post pics, so I’ll let him do it if he chooses.

Back