Buckethead

Lola

❤️guitar
Why doesn’t this guitar player get more love? I have been following him for a long time. Thanks to my older son.
He is such a accomplished player.
He’s a very unique and talented person who deserves more recognition.

This is one of my many favourites of his songs.

I went to a Buckethead show about 10 years ago and halfway through the first song a group ran to the stage and started assaulting people, including punching a LOT of men and women in their faces. The lobby filled with bloody faces but venue security refused to get involved, at one point a guy was thrown down 2 flights of stairs. I got out with a few bruises. What I heard of Buckethead live was fantastic, but who would have thought he would draw a crowd like that ... I was surprised there was a mosh pit, which makes no sense for Buckethead playing solo, but serious violence throughout the venue was absurd.

You may know Carroll better by his stage name, Buckethead. On stage he wears a white mask and a KFC bucket on his head. He recently revealed on the Coming Alive podcast that wearing the bucket and the mask help him overcome his stage fright.

This I sort of knew but couldn’t confirm it until I read this.

You may know Carroll better by his stage name, Buckethead. On stage he wears a white mask and a KFC bucket on his head. He recently revealed on the Coming Alive podcast that wearing the bucket and the mask help him overcome his stage fright.

He has performed enough times now that I would expect the stage fright to be gone. It took me a while to get over it when I was younger but once it was gone, it was pretty much gone forever. I feel it occasionally but it is usually when I have to play a song that I haven't put as much practice time into that I feel that I need. I hate making mistakes on cover songs. They are glaring and that is what usually drives any stage fright that I may get these days.

love buckethead and have since hearing a bootleg of his guitar player flexidisc audition in like '89 or '90. never heard any of his work with waxl rose.

He can play for sure. He is just a bit strange for my tastes. I would have more respect for him if he just got rid of the mask and bucket. And cut those string ends off... :)
That pretty much sums up much of the sentiment I have read, and my own. It was "different" and unique and he got a lot or attention, but decades later he has no "hits" and doesn't play in a big name rock band... it's like it's still mainly costume and gymnastics is the focus of his music. So yeah, he can play, but he has stuck himself in his own rut and never seemed to moved past it.

As mentioned already, I could see that at first, but he's played way too many times to be bothered by that anymore. And... for years now people know who he is so despite the mask, it's not like he's hiding. I think it was more of a gimmick and he stuck with it, and honestly to his own detriment. But, if that is ALL he wants to do, and all he wants to achieve, then more power to him for doing his own thing and nothing else.

you guys sure expect a lot extra from basically a guy in a hat. 'he's wearing a hat, what is all this theater? where is his big name band like megallica? where, even, are his "hits"??'

you guys sure expect a lot extra from basically a guy in a hat. 'he's wearing a hat, what is all this theater? where is his big name band like megallica? where, even, are his "hits"??'
A hat? It is a KFC bucket that chicken comes in. Most people don't put things like that on their head. It is not normal. I wonder if there is something off with him. He could have a mental issue, which causes him to stick with it.

His problem is himself. He's neurotic as all get out, his persona is just plain weird, and his music is simply not uplifting or all that attractive.

It's not fun. It doesn't make people smile and feel good.

It's a bit depressing.

His problem is himself. He's neurotic as all get out, his persona is just plain weird, and his music is simply not uplifting or all that attractive.

It's a bit depressing.
I don’t know if Buckethead has a problem, or is a problem.. he seems to be doing what he wants and has been for decades.

I’m personally not a fan, but that’s okay as everything isn’t meant for everybody.

It's a bit depressing.
why is it 'his problem' that he isn't kool and the gang or a 'fun' blues guy like joe bonamassa?

why is it 'his problem' that he isn't kool and the gang or a 'fun' blues guy like joe bonamassa?

Why do you think Joe Bonamassa is more popular than Buckethead?

Why do more people pay to see Joe?

Simple. Joe's music appeals to more people and it's not (as) depressing or neurotic.

Why do you think Joe Bonamassa is more popular than Buckethead?

Why do more people pay to see Joe?

Simple. Joe's music appeals to more people and it's not (as) depressing or neurotic.
i'm not comparing them, and if i did i wouldn't look at ticket sales or cruise ship contracts. everyone else seems to think buckethead needs to be something he isn't. some people find depressing or neurotic music cathartic and enjoyable, you yourself could cite many examples.

i'm not comparing them, and if i did i wouldn't look at ticket sales or cruise ship contracts. everyone else seems to think buckethead needs to be something he isn't. some people find depressing or neurotic music cathartic and enjoyable, you yourself could cite many examples.
I generally lean on “happier” music to enhance my mood.

But even I get in touch with my inner goth girl and spend a couple weeks a year listening to The Cure and The Smiths to revel in my melancholy.

Back