Bucket List Item (Nürburgring)

When did you do Mid-Ohio? That used to be my local track for Porsche club and Tracktime events in the 1985-1991 range. Also did Charlotte Motor Speedway, Watkins Glen when the full course was open (toe of the boot), and Grattan (where my brother crashed my 1973 911s).
I found mid Ohio a bit tame after Watkins Glen and Barber. Nice course to get your flow together on though.

I tell my buddies here in Germany how good they have it in that regard. It's like anything else I suppose. When you grow-up with something, it isn't special.

There is no doubt that Germany is automotive paradise.
We have that same problem in Indianapolis. But we drive in a circle...not as much fun as your coolness!

When did you do Mid-Ohio? That used to be my local track for Porsche club and Tracktime events in the 1985-1991 range. Also did Charlotte Motor Speedway, Watkins Glen when the full course was open (toe of the boot), and Grattan (where my brother crashed my 1973 911s).

OUCH!

I get it...

pcar-putnam-big.jpg

Last edited:
I found mid Ohio a bit tame after Watkins Glen and Barber. Nice course to get your flow together on though.
Yes, it rewarded a consistent line once you found it but it is a smaller track with relatively minor elevation changes.

Do they still use the toe of the boot at Watkins Glen? None of the races I've seen there include it.

Not the Ring but fun nonetheless. Lucky OP

Then Chicago has to be automotive hell... three-four lanes of stop and go traffic perpetually.

No argument from me on that! Good thing the traffic from upstairs to my basement is minimal. Worst I can expect on my daily commute is a lazy dog being in the way. Or, getting pestered by the Mrs.

It was sometime in the mid-to-late 80s, BMW club events. I also did Grattan, but I think Mid-Ohio is a much more challenging course; that one turn where the car makes what felt like a hill jump and seems to land right at the apex of the turn in particular was pretty freaky!

Waterford was more or less the local track in my area, but it’s a pretty easy track, kind of a low-speed thing with only one decent straight. Mid-Ohio, different story! I had a lot of respect for the folks that could do that one fast.

It was sometime in the mid-to-late 80s, BMW club events. I also did Grattan, but I think Mid-Ohio is a much more challenging course; that one turn where the car makes what felt like a hill jump and seems to land right at the apex of the turn in particular was pretty freaky!

Waterford was more or less the local track in my area, but it’s a pretty easy track, kind of a low-speed thing with only one decent straight. Mid-Ohio, different story! I had a lot of respect for the folks that could do that one fast.

I think the turn you are talking about was going from turn 11 down (I think they called it Thunder Valley) and then you ascended again and turn 12 was off camber and just where the car was light at the back and you needed to go left to enter into the carousel.

It was all great fun and I didn't realize how lucky I was until I moved out to Tucson where the closest decent track back in the 90's was the street course for the vintage races in Palm Springs. However, Interstate 8 between Casa Grande and Yuma allows you to stretch out to triple digits if traffic is spaced out by a mile or two.

Well, enough of this. Hans drove on the Ring, and he has my eternal envy.

We have that same problem in Indianapolis. But we drive in a circle...not as much fun as your coolness!

OUCH!

I get it...

pcar-putnam-big.jpg
I'm rusty on my newer Porsches but I'll hazard a guess at a 993 turbo or a wide-body Carrera 4s, the last generation of air-cooled 911's. I understand why they had to do it but to my ear there is nothing like the sound of an air-cooled Porsche boxer sound and exhaust note.

I'm rusty on my newer Porsches but I'll hazard a guess at a 993 turbo or a wide-body Carrera 4s, the last generation of air-cooled 911's. I understand why they had to do it but to my ear there is nothing like the sound of an air-cooled Porsche boxer sound and exhaust note.
Pretty close! 993 C2S. Tail pusher, no turbo. But, it has the “motor sound package” that makes heads turn at WOT and 7k rpm. I’d like to hear that M2 wide open!

Sadly, I'm not a car dude AT ALL, but that was pretty damned cool...Thanks for posting, Hans.
Now, the German buildings absolutely kicked butt!!!! Castles, both new (that track entrance was neat) and old...that kinda thing.

After watching your video again, I gotta say...you deserve a Nobel Peace Prize for not stopping in the middle of your lap and kicking your buddy out! Personally, I have to have zero distractions to keep the intense concentration required to keep everything in check. Having someone in the passenger seat saying, “slow down!”, like my wife, would get the ejection seat. Your tires were never talking in any of those turns so he had nothing to worry about.

Anyway, I was annoyed for you. ;)

Another buddy of mine - with over 200 laps at Nurburgring - just picked up an M2 so I told him about your video. It’s what instantly crossed my mind.

Keep your tires warm and out of the marbles!

Awesome video, thanks for sharing Hans.

I have been racing on two wheels for about 10 years, did tracks in the Netherlands, Belgium, France and Spain. Nordschleiffe has been tempting but they do not allow full race cars/bikes. :( Must be road approved. On my list is Laguna Seca though. One day I will be there and take that corkscrew on two wheels.

Awesome video, thanks for sharing Hans.

I have been racing on two wheels for about 10 years, did tracks in the Netherlands, Belgium, France and Spain. Nordschleiffe has been tempting but they do not allow full race cars/bikes. :( Must be road approved. On my list is Laguna Seca though. One day I will be there and take that corkscrew on two wheels.
I haven’t been to any of the west coast courses.
Barber in Alabama has a mini corkscrew and is my favourite course for a motorcycle.

Looks to be as much fun as Watkins Glen here in NY. I would Love that track, in my Mustang.
I’ve been on that track a few times. It’s a really good course to smooth out your flow.

Back