Bryan Ewald tomorrow night...

It was ok. The was a lot more talking than playing because most of those in attendance had A LOT of questions. Learned some cool stuff about the Sonzera amps. There were a couple of beauties to look at, but by the time he finished the store was closing up so no real time to check anything out. I was hoping to play one of the Silver Sky guitars that was there, but nope! By the time I got there - traffic was horrible - things were getting started. The closest I got to talking to Bryan was mentioning a great place for dinner. He put it in his phone, excused himself to call his kids, and shortly there after the event started.

Sorry, no messages!

Too bad you didn't get a chance to play the SS! Would have liked to hear your thoughts on it.

But... tell us about the Sonzera.

The Sonzera has a cool feature where the clean channel has two volumes - a master and a volume. Bryan showed us how arranging them differently simulated different "power tube" drive. A lot of amps have this. My Rivera does - in fact my Rivera even has a pull boost on the master so I have THREE controls for volume on the clean channel.....

Anyway, what seems cool - and different - about the way PRS does it is that that volume control is placed right before the master. Bryan called it "input volume". I still consider a "gain" control, but PRS runs the clean channel controls like this:

(left -> right) reverb, bass, middle, treble, master, volume

It seems normal, but sounded really cool. He also demonstrated how easy it was to match the power drive between the Sonzera 50 and 20 using those controls. I was impressed. Not enough to buy one, lol, but you could tell quite a few guys were interested.

Back