Broken wing: Split Phase I locking collar

Brainofjon

Hi everyone!

So, I restrung my '87 standard yesterday, played it for a while, all good. Left it on a stand.

This morning, I noticed the low E string on the floor and my first thought was: maybe I didn't lock it properly... but no. After a close look I realized the the wing was broken (a small piece on the floor) *panic*

EU8UPzu.png

So, of course I don't have a spare one. I know you can find replacements on John Mann's Guitar Vault or maybe find a phase I set.
Do you guys know if any of the bass-side wings would fit? are there different versions?
Have any of you experienced the same with these? I kinda liked the wings so far...

Thanks!
Jon

I thought so, but I just got this reply from PRS Customer Service
We had a couple different suppliers for the wing colors, so they are not compatible across the board.
and, here I can see there're 4 versions (some look the same but looks like the diameter is different).

I've seen a couple sets from the 90's for sale, but know I'm not sure if those will fit on my 87 (I'm guessing these are v1?)

Thanks!

Hey, I could be wrong! Not the first, or last time... but I’ve cross contaminated a pile of wing tuners without issue.

Edit: I’m talking about the wings, nothing else.

Hey Sergio, thanks for your input. Did it ever happen to you, breaking one of these?

Never personally, but I’ve bought a few lots of wing tuner parts where some of the collars had grooves from strings and chipped edges.

I believe (from the look of some of the chipped ones) that they may have been cast (at least at some points) whereas the one’s John Mann makes are milled... at least from the videos I’ve seen.

You know, don’t be afraid to give him a call, like on the phone. John is amazingly generous with his knowledge and time if you catch him on a slower day.

Hi everyone!

"So, I restrung my '87 standard yesterday, played it for a while, all good. Left it on a stand..."

Hey Brainofjon! I was just restringing my '89 CE and had this exact same thing happen... getting the Low E up to tension and the wing snapped, and like you, I immediately panicked haha. Were you able to find a replacement for the old style wings??

Thanks!

Back