Broken bird inlay

Victorius

Hey Folks,

Today I discovered that that the inlay on the third fret on my PRS SE Tremonti is broken. Bought the guitar in April, 2022, this is still under warranty.

What do you think I should do with it?

4822_9e3d361038b1.png

All other fret inlays are intact. I understand that this is a minor flaw, it is invisible from normal range, yet still frustrates me.

I recovered a photo that was taken the day I got the guitar and the fret was intact.

What may have caused this? Does it qualify for a warranty claim?

What Sergio said.

It seems like it doesn't matter how visible it is from whatever distance - we know it's there and it bugs us. I had a headphone cable snap back and ding my DGT some years ago. Small ding, and if I were playing out you'd never see it (unless we were about to become VERY close friends), but I know it's there.

What Sergio said.

It seems like it doesn't matter how visible it is from whatever distance - we know it's there and it bugs us. I had a headphone cable snap back and ding my DGT some years ago. Small ding, and if I were playing out you'd never see it (unless we were about to become VERY close friends), but I know it's there.
You just devalued a signature guitar.

Yeah it bugs me too. Even if I like her, from now on, whenever she is in my hands it will come to my mind.

I contacted the seller to inquire about my options under warranty. The most likely I'm afraid that some cash return will be offered.

I think it may well be attributed to accidental damage rather than a warranty flaw/fail as it doesn't affect the guitar in ANY way as a functioning instrument and after that long, its perhaps too long to say you've just noticed it and 'must of been there' at purchase. No harm in trying as they say.

It almost looks like its been designed that way - a different colour head...

If it bothers you, contact the seller as any warranty is actually with them. Any warranty repair costs, parts etc may well be covered by PRS for the retailer, but its the retailer who would decide whether they would cover that with Warranty. Judging by the state of the frets too, I'd say its been played 'hard' and/or a lot. That may make them think its 'accidental' and not something they'd be willing to do 'anything' with...

The other thing to consider is whether you can feel it.

If you can, then it probably should be fixed, since it may mean the smaller bits might pop loose.

If you can't feel it...I dunno, that is a judgement call on your part.

Judging by the state of the frets too, I'd say its been played 'hard' and/or a lot.
There is this, too.

The other thing to consider is whether you can feel it.

If you can, then it probably should be fixed, since it may mean the smaller bits might pop loose.

If you can't feel it...I dunno, that is a judgement call on your part.

There is this, too.
I cannot at all feel it. The surface is smooth. I am not afraid that it may pop loose, it seems to be firm and solid.

No harm in trying... but it would surprise me if they approved warranty for that. But you should still try! And let us know.
I am in the very same position.

I raised a warranty ticket with the vendor, they say it is being investigated with the technicians. I am wondering what resolution, if any, they can offer.

I think it may well be attributed to accidental damage rather than a warranty flaw/fail as it doesn't affect the guitar in ANY way as a functioning instrument and after that long, its perhaps too long to say you've just noticed it and 'must of been there' at purchase. No harm in trying as they say.

It almost looks like its been designed that way - a different colour head...

If it bothers you, contact the seller as any warranty is actually with them. Any warranty repair costs, parts etc may well be covered by PRS for the retailer, but its the retailer who would decide whether they would cover that with Warranty. Judging by the state of the frets too, I'd say its been played 'hard' and/or a lot. That may make them think its 'accidental' and not something they'd be willing to do 'anything' with...

I literally just noticed when made a photo of the fret for a friend.

Frets wear out with time, since I bought it, I have played hundreds of hours with her. My grip may be too tight from time to time, typical beginners' fault. I am trying to consciously work on it and loosen it as much as I can, but I am a novice player and this is part of the learning curve.

Snapping a bird's neck may be very easy unless it is a fret inlay. No way it should break for a tighter hand grip.

I literally just noticed when made a photo of the fret for a friend.

Frets wear out with time, since I bought it, I have played hundreds of hours with her. My grip may be too tight from time to time, typical beginners' fault. I am trying to consciously work on it and loosen it as much as I can, but I am a novice player and this is part of the learning curve.

Snapping a bird's neck may be very easy unless it is a fret inlay. No way it should break for a tighter hand grip.

I was not criticising, its great to see a guitar that is obviously being played a LOT, enough to cause that wear in a relatively short time. However, that does make it look as if that guitar has had a 'hard' life thus far - a 'workman's' tool which is superb - but from another perspective, you could argue that its become 'damaged' due to that, not necessarily a fault of manufacture which is what is covered by warranty.

Warranties are usually for 'faulty' parts that break prematurely, a manufacturing fault that stops the product from 'functioning' as you'd expect and does not cover Accidental damage, wear and tear damage etc from using the product as intended. It would be 'difficult' to prove that the bird broke due to some manufacturing 'fault' and now its not functioning as intended. Its not different from dropping something on the guitar and scratching/denting the top from their perspective.

Again, no harm in trying to see if they will offer anything in compensation. I doubt they'd 'repair' it under warranty or replace a well used guitar with that amount of Fret Wear for a 'new' one. You may get some 'money' back, but whether you'd be 'happy' with the sum they offer, who knows. You won't know until you try...

All I was trying to do was be 'realistic' and temper expectations. Warranties don't cover Accidental damage and after this long, its difficult to prove that it was a manufacturing flaw, especially with the state of the frets, which indicate that its been played a LOT and quite hard, so more likely to be accidental damage or wear and tear from use. Its not your Tone Pot has failed so they can just easily replace under warranty as that shouldn't fail in a year and does affect the functionality - even if you 'never' use the Tone Pot and its always on 10.

I know its always disappointing to see 'damage', but its also part of that guitars story, their 'history', battle scars. Its something 'unique' to yours and no doubt, you'll have memories associated with these too - even if they are 'painful' now, those dings will bring back memories of gigs and times you've spent having fun with it.

Like I said, no harm in trying to see what, if anything, the seller is prepared to do about it. If they 'resolve' things in a way you are satisfied, great! However, if they decide its not covered by warranty for whatever reason, its not affecting the guitar or its functionality, you have a lot of memories and spent a LOT of time with it - it maybe better to accept your 'bird' as it is, associate that with positive memories so everytime you see it, you think of a special Gig for example, and it will stop being a 'bad' thing and remind you of your 'journey' as a musician and the great times you have had with that particular instrument...

Last edited:
Back