Brightness between 594 and DGT

Jpleines

Hi All,

Getting ready to take the plunge into the world of PRS. Tried both yesterday and noticed the 594 seemed brighter or more clear on the higher strings than the DGT. Is this normal, or can the DGT approach the brightness and clarity of the 594 with stock pickups? Trying to decide between the two--love the 594 clarity and the comfort and playability of the DGT neck. Thanks!

The DGT has got .11 gauge strings which is 10% thicker than strings on the 594. That creates a more bassy tone. The trem also gives a different tone from the 594 stoptail.

The vibration of the strings are inherently different on both guitars, and the best thing to do is to listen to both acoustically and decide which tone you like best.

It’s much better for the guitar to inherently have the tone you prefer, rather than to rely on the pickups. Settle the guitar itself, and then tinker with the pickups later.

That would be like picking the right foundation for your ideal building architecture, rather than picking a wrong foundation and then having to move heaven and earth later.

That’s what I would think anyway..

Last edited:
The DGT and 594 are completely different animals. BOTH. NEED. NOW.

And then you need a Hollowbody II, a 513, and sausage. Lots of sausage. DITKA!
I've got the HBII 10 top and 594 10top but, I want a DGT and 513 or 509. Thought about selling my 30th anni because of my CE-24 but, they're totally different animals and I like each 5way switch for different reasons. You really do have to collect them all.

Welcome to the PRS maze of wonderful tones, all you have to do is...
Buy! Buy! Buy! :D

I've got a small herd and I love every one of them. Every once in a while I'll think about selling all but one or two and gettng a really nice one but I can not decide which ones would go.

Back