Brett Kingman: PRS SE HBII Piezo

Rick,

How do you feel about the FM3, perhaps with the FC6? Am currently visiting Fractal's site and listening to the FM3 demo. Seems more portable that the rack unit (which would typically require a SKB case for gigs),and is more compact. The preset and user banks are similar to the Axe Fx III, just with the smaller footprint. Could see this with the FC6 for faster switching between rigs/presets...
The tones are the same as the Axe Fx (which is great), the FM3 just lacks the processing power to run as heavy of a load. This may or may not matter, depending on what you need. It’s essentially a computer, so the more blocks you add, especially CPU-intense blocks like studio reverbs or modulation, can overload the processing power. I have not owned the FM3, but did own an AX8 for a while and the grab-n-go factor is hard to beat. You only have three foot switches available on the FM3 but, again, that may be enough. You can add outboard switches if you only need one or two more, or add the FC6 footswitch for 6 more… a combo humorously referred to as the OMG-9 on the Fractal Forums.

It’s a great option if the limitation on what blocks you can use don’t get in your way. Sound quality is 100% of the flagship. You just have to look at the differences. All of the Fractal devices have their own Wiki pages, which provide all information on them. Forum members, most Alex (Yek on the forum), maintain them. The one comparing the FM3 to the Axe Fx III is here:

https://wiki.fractalaudio.com/wiki/index.php?title=Comparing_the_FM3_to_the_Axe-Fx_III

Interestingly, I just received a Memorial Day sale from Fractal Audio, offering a new Axe Fx III, FC-12, EV-1 Expression Pedal and cable for $2899.99 all in. A lot of money, no doubt, but just used PRS Core guitar money these days. I was tempted to order and I already have one! Lol.

The tones are the same as the Axe Fx (which is great), the FM3 just lacks the processing power to run as heavy of a load. This may or may not matter, depending on what you need. It’s essentially a computer, so the more blocks you add, especially CPU-intense blocks like studio reverbs or modulation, can overload the processing power. I have not owned the FM3, but did own an AX8 for a while and the grab-n-go factor is hard to beat. You only have three foot switches available on the FM3 but, again, that may be enough. You can add outboard switches if you only need one or two more, or add the FC6 footswitch for 6 more… a combo humorously referred to as the OMG-9 on the Fractal Forums.

It’s a great option if the limitation on what blocks you can use don’t get in your way. Sound quality is 100% of the flagship. You just have to look at the differences. All of the Fractal devices have their own Wiki pages, which provide all information on them. Forum members, most Alex (Yek on the forum), maintain them. The one comparing the FM3 to the Axe Fx III is here:

https://wiki.fractalaudio.com/wiki/index.php?title=Comparing_the_FM3_to_the_Axe-Fx_III

Interestingly, I just received a Memorial Day sale from Fractal Audio, offering a new Axe Fx III, FC-12, EV-1 Expression Pedal and cable for $2899.99 all in. A lot of money, no doubt, but just used PRS Core guitar money these days. I was tempted to order and I already have one! Lol.

Thx, Rick,

The reason for my inquiring about the FM3 is that new FM3's are now $200 less than previous models, though used prices do not reflect that yet. Most used prices are very close to the previous Fractal new price, and still more than what current Fractal's new prices are. It might be possible for me to try to scrape up some cash and sell my Gigboard and Expression pedal, though it'll still need to wait a few months because of previous obligations. What savings remaining after the obligation might be considered towards the FM3/FC6/EV1.

Though, I'd really like to think this through and not let the internet ensnare me and end up sucking me dry. That invariably could happen if I were to allow it, and strangely enough, I think I'd not want risking that.

If you'll allow me, I'll take a look at the link above but not buy anything. Much more research into the ease of use requirement would be needed before considering a switch from Gigboard to FM3.

Thx, Rick,

The reason for my inquiring about the FM3 is that new FM3's are now $200 less than previous models, though used prices do not reflect that yet. Most used prices are very close to the previous Fractal new price, and still more than what current Fractal's new prices are. It might be possible for me to try to scrape up some cash and sell my Gigboard and Expression pedal, though it'll still need to wait a few months because of previous obligations. What savings remaining after the obligation might be considered towards the FM3/FC6/EV1.

Though, I'd really like to think this through and not let the internet ensnare me and end up sucking me dry. That invariably could happen if I were to allow it, and strangely enough, I think I'd not want risking that.

If you'll allow me, I'll take a look at the link above but not buy anything. Much more research into the ease of use requirement would be needed before considering a switch from Gigboard to FM3.
Absolutely. You’re not missing out to wait and decide on data, rather than opinion… mine included! Like PRS, I brag on Fractal Audio simply because my personal experience with them has been so good. I hope everyone buys when it makes sense to them, it’s the way. Read up on them, get your dollars where you want them. Keep in mind, also, that buying new gives you a trial period in which you can return it for full refund if it doesn’t float your boat. That’s a huge plus when trying something completely new.

Do it when and if it’s right for you. :cool:

Back