Brent Mason harness

Wailing

Hi Folks
I love my Brent Mason and am wondering if the harness (pots or caps) could be changed to increase the brightness of the neck and bridge 408s when set to single coil mode

Cheers M’dears

I assume that you tried the lower the pickups and raise the pole screws, trick?

I tired searching, and this is all I could come up with. People complain about the DGT being too bright, when split. It uses a 1.1kohm resister for the neck and a 2.2k ohm for the bridge.

The only guy that I know who has a Brent Mason, ended up changing the pickups. And he did the resister mod on his DGT, in order to make it darker.

Last edited:
I assume that you tried the lower the pickups and raise the pole screws, trick?

Hi.. Thanks for your reply.. Yes I have lowered the pickup and raised the poles.. I’m not sure how far up it is feasible to raise them though… I’m surprised someone would want the guitar darker as the Korina body seems to already be doing that for me… The middle pickup is perfect… Just after a little more sparkle from the 408s.

The change between tapped ( its not really a single coil exactly ) and not on the 408 pickup is pretty subtle its more of a tone shift and an attack shift ( to my ear ) since there is little or no volume change. also to my ear the 408s have a pretty flat EQ curve with no pronounced dips or humps like many pickup like all pickups you can raise the treble side and raise the pole screws to get some extra bite but I have never had that problem with my 408.

Raising the screw poles on those pickups will do nothing for you in single coil mode. They tap to slug coil.

I've found those pickups don't really sparkle. The newer TCI version like on the MEV and Paul's are brighter in single coil mode, while the older version is more of a mid cut.

Raising the screw poles on those pickups will do nothing for you in single coil mode. They tap to slug coil.

I've found those pickups don't really sparkle. The newer TCI version like on the MEV and Paul's are brighter in single coil mode, while the older version is more of a mid cut.
Totally agree with this.

What amps are you using? Try using an eq, or try a few different value volume pots. I put a Schaller 5 way switch in mine, and re-routed the pickups, using the diagrams that came with the switch. You can get the switch through Stewmac. One other thing: My Brent Mason is from 2016 with a maple board and has a Brent Mason bridge pickup in the bridge, and a 408 in the neck..the first one I had was a 2013, with 2- 408 pickups, and a rosewood board, and was very low-mid, and bass focused, so I moved it on.
I think the maple fretboard makes a big difference in the overall tone. It was the reason I bought it, after trying it through my amp/pedalboard set-up. Good luck, I hope you get it worked out, they are great guitars.

Back