Breaking High E on brand new DGT!!!

Tim Chipman

Hi Tim Chipman here. This is my second post here. I'm hoping someone here will have had some experience with this. I had the guitar for a couple of days and the high E (11) broke. Ok I thought maybe the strings might be old sitting in the case for a while. So I put on a brand new set of (String Joy) 11's. Broke again. Put another on and this one wouldn't hold a note, just kept sliding away. I thought it was just stretch and then bing broke the third one. Could it be the locking tuner is defective? or what? They all broke up near the tuner. I've got a call into Willcutt Guitars.
By the way the break seems to be between the tuner and the nut.

Last edited:
Hi Tim Chipman here. This is my second post here. I'm hoping someone here will have had some experience with this. I had the guitar for a couple of days and the high E (11) broke. Ok I thought maybe the strings might be old sitting in the case for a while. So I put on a brand new set of (String Joy) 11's. Broke again. Put another on and this one wouldn't hold a note, just kept sliding away. I thought it was just stretch and then bing broke the third one. Could it be the locking tuner is defective? or what? They all broke up near the tuner. I've got a call into Willcutt Guitars

You're overtightening the locking tuner

Yep - either the locker is being overtightened, or you may have a burr on the locking screw or the tuner. Take the locking screw all the way out and examine the bottom. You should have an extra screw - well, we all should, but yours should be in the case. If the bottom of the screw feels rough, swap it out and see if it makes a difference.

thank you very much all. I will check the screw. The first one came from Willcut, the second may have been me tightening the screw.
The 3rd was weird I'd bring it to pitch and it would immediately slip back like the screw was not tight enough. Then it snapped. Hmm
thanks again
tim

exactly what i thought dont squeeze too hard i take dunlop pick and squeeze with my fingers just to be sure i believe your problem is there

exactly what i thought dont squeeze too hard i take dunlop pick and squeeze with my fingers just to be sure i believe your problem is there
Ok, I wasn't going to ask but what do you mean by squeezing? Squeezing what? I know you are all laughing!!!! but this may be important! I really appreciate your help!

Ok, I wasn't going to ask but what do you mean by squeezing? Squeezing what? I know you are all laughing!!!! but this may be important! I really appreciate your help!
I have a pretty strong sense of humor, but I also have not very good English, what the gentlemen of the forum say is not to tighten the locking tuner screw too much, the small black screw on your tuners, do not don't hesitate to ask!

I saw that on a video. Makes sense. But I also saw a guy using a quarter! Pretty sure I didn't have the locking nut too tight. As I've said before the 3rd 11 that broke was loose enough that it would hold a pitch. I tune it to pitch and then before the tone died out it was sliding back. Not for long though because then it broke! What makes the most sense to me that I've seen here, is burr on the locking screw or a rough edge on the hole in the tuner.

Back