Brazilian or East Indian Rosewood? Pictures inside

sobek

Hi folks! :)

I bought my first PRS a few months ago - Custom 24 from 1993.

ZeMWa8E.jpg

I've been cleaning the fingerboard today and I have a question for you. It looks like Brazilian or EIR?

After cleaning with Dunlop 01 Cleaner&Prep:
NaPhW0z.jpg

After Dunlop 02 Deep Conditioner:
jsaaNHd.jpg

I would be grateful for help ;)

I’m gonna go with Indian based on timeframe and appearance.... but my answer is hardly definitive.

Brazilian rosewood (Dalbergia Nigra) was added to CITES Appendix I in 1991, which made it illegal to use wood felled after this point. PRS stopped using Brazilian rosewood on what would be now termed 'core' that year, see below. So while it's hard to tell from the photos it's almost certainly NOT Brazilian for this reason. I'd also say looking at the first picture especially the grain doesn't look like I'd expect based on the 10 PRS with Brazilian boards I've owned.

From the PRS support section:

http://prsguitars.com/csc/models.html

CUSTOM: 1985 - Current. The definitive original PRS, figured maple top, 10 top option from 1987, mahogany back and neck, volume, sweet switch and 5 way rotary offered until 1991, Brazilian rosewood fretboard until 1991, PRS Tremolo and cam-style locking tuners, stoptail offered from 1993 (or so) - 2001, Phase II tuners from 2002. Updated in 2011 to volume, tone, 5-way blade switch and Phase III locking tuners.

For ref this is a Brazilian board on a 1985 PRS Custom:

DSC00262.jpg

Last edited:
It's really difficult to tell by looking. The rosewood fretboards on all my prs guitars looks different from each other.
I have a ce22 with really tight grain rosewood that I swear is Brazilian but I know it isn't.

AFAIK my 89 is my only Brazilian board.

She is a beauty.

There’s a lot of store put on the magic of BRW. I’m not denying it’s beautiful and it has a great tap tone, however there are lots of woods that have great tonal properties and look amazing.

Enjoy your guitar :D

Good looking fiddle. Congrats. I'll have to check out that Dunlop stuff. I just use the PRS branded things for guitar clean up and such.

Back