Brand new Silver sky, broken selector? Need advice please

Goldrif

I'm new to the PRS world and just purchased my first one a month ago from Sweetwater. It was built and completed by PRS on June 2nd of 2021 and arrived at my house on the 18th so it's very new. I normally play acoustic so I'm not very strong in the electric world and had an issue arise this evening with my electronics. I went to switch from my neck to the bridge pickup and noticed the following. Any idea what my next steps should be? Do I call PRS? or is this an easy fix?

position 1 = works (Neck)
Position 2 = doesn't change the tone, sounds just like position 1
Position 3 = NO SOUND
Position 4 =doesn't change the tone, sounds just like position 5
Position 5 = works (Bridge)

I'm new to the PRS world and just purchased my first one a month ago from Sweetwater. It was built and completed by PRS on June 2nd of 2021 and arrived at my house on the 18th so it's very new. I normally play acoustic so I'm not very strong in the electric world and had an issue arise this evening with my electronics. I went to switch from my neck to the bridge pickup and noticed the following. Any idea what my next steps should be? Do I call PRS? or is this an easy fix?

position 1 = works (Neck)
Position 2 = doesn't change the tone, sounds just like position 1
Position 3 = NO SOUND
Position 4 =doesn't change the tone, sounds just like position 5
Position 5 = works (Bridge)
Now that I think about it... could this actually be the middle pickup not working??

I'd contact Sweetwater and then PRS. I always go to the shop I bought it from before the manufacturer.

It's something with middle pickup, wiring, switch, or pup. Maybe try to clean the switch first? Its not difficult, but since you are new to electric it's probably better to call them first.

I'd contact Sweetwater and then PRS. I always go to the shop I bought it from before the manufacturer.

It's something with middle pickup, wiring, switch, or pup. Maybe try to clean the switch first? Its not difficult, but since you are new to electric it's probably better to call them first.
Thanks. I'll call first. I wouldn't assume a dirty switch from a guitar that was built a month ago, stored properly and well taken care of.

Thanks. I'll call first. I wouldn't assume a dirty switch from a guitar that was built a month ago, stored properly and well taken care of.

An S2 I recently bought new with a 3 way vs 5 way I had a very similar issue with my neck pickup. Cleaned it and no problems since. I personally lean towards a bad solder joint, but I start with the easiest and work from there troubleshooting.

Last edited:
Update: I took off the strings, unscrewed the pickguard to check if there were any wires underneath that were disconnected... Nothing was disconnected, so I screwed it back in place and plugged it in and now everything works.. I assume a wire needed to be wiggled or something. At least now I feel like it's a Wire not soldered correctly issue and not really a Pickup issue.

Update: I took off the strings, unscrewed the pickguard to check if there were any wires underneath that were disconnected... Nothing was disconnected, so I screwed it back in place and plugged it in and now everything works.. I assume a wire needed to be wiggled or something. At least now I feel like it's a Wire not soldered correctly issue and not really a Pickup issue.

Cool beans...just hope it doesn't happen again later...Enjoy it, though...killer axes!!!!!

Glad you have it working but you paid good money for it. I would still take up Sweetwater’s offer and send it back to them to have it looked at, it’s new and it shouldn’t be having any problems. I agree with SinSir and Drew it’s probably a cold solder joint and if it is it’s just a matter of time before the problem will resurface.

Well, that didn't last long. Back to being broken..... looks like I'm shipping it back to sweetwater after all.

I have a S2 594 like this. Move the wires and it's fine for a while and suddenly the pickup goes out.

Turns out its a bad capacitor. Figured it out while upgrading to CTS pots.

You would do good to send yours back for proper repair.

Update: I sent my brand new Silversky back to sweetwater for repair. They had it over 5 weeks and sent it back to me and didnt fix a damn thing, middle pickup still won't register sound. They also gave me a nice present in return as a thank you by adding a few new dents to my perfect finish which I am very upset about.. So I reached out and they determined they would replace it with a new one but that it would take time since they don't have any in stock. I agreed to wait.... well I finally received the replacement tonight.....its a used guitar with a scratched up pick guard and a lot of dents on the back of the neck by the third fret and a physical deformity where the headstock is glued to the neck (neck joint). I had it out of the back less than 10 minutes, I boxed it up an am sending it back in the morning...I still need to get my original fixed...does PRS do repair work??

Update: Sweetwater was able to replace the middle pickup back in November. Everything was working fine and I was really loving the SilverSky regardless of the dents they gave me..well, today, the bridge pickup died and will no longer provide sound. I'm assuming I'm out of warranty at this point. Does anyone know where I can buy the bridge pickup and have a local person install it.. I'm done sending stuff back to sweetwater at this point.

I would check the warranty. I know the core guitars have a lifetime warranty, I would expect the SS would also.

Hopefully there's a PRS authorized luthier in your vicinity that could do the fix.

Back