Brand new S2 CU24, annoying wolftone...

I don't know you or your capabilities, but I am reading these things and all I can think is that you really need to get this instrument into a qualified luthier. It is possible to damage a guitar permanently if you don't know what you are doing with a truss rod in particular. Give them the PRS setup specifications, tell them about the wolf tone, and have them make recommendations.

Actually, yesterday I did it and I noticed the wolf tone get better but it's not fixed yet...
Plus I tried to adjust the trussrod as I think I should add some relief to it... stupidly, I forgot it was a dealing with a floating trem and when I detuned the strings the trem slipped out of the 6 pivot screws so I had to mess with the trem claw again, unscrewing the 2 claw screws, getting the trem into the right position with the 6 pivot screws and tunning again IT WAS A PAIN...
But I managed to do it, just that I don't know why exactly... but It feels tighter now and while there should be .15mm distance from body to the bridge, it is .01 or .02 mm higher... and couldn't managed to lower... I don't understand what went wrong when adjusting it... also the saddle height was wrong after tuning it... could they maybe get by lowered itself when I was trying to put the bridge back into its position? and btw, the four springs are exactly the same right? or each one is supposed to have its particular place? cause when trying to set up the bridge I forget the order they where supposed to be and I was thinking if maybe it could be the reason why the trem feels tighter now...

I don't know you or your capabilities, but I am reading these things and all I can think is that you really need to get this instrument into a qualified luthier. It is possible to damage a guitar permanently if you don't know what you are doing with a truss rod in particular. Give them the PRS setup specifications, tell them about the wolf tone, and have them make recommendations.

Sadly, we lack "qualified luthiers" in here... and sending it back to PRS to have it checked would cost what I earn in a month... but I guess I have no more option...

Just some new insight in this problem...
Last week I tried a Blackstar HT Dual pedal, this works with a valve as preamp, distortion sounds great though it is very noisy on the Marshall Class 5 but I noticed that the wolf tone reduced a lot with this pedal... I own a Metal Muff and with this one the Wolftone is very annoying and no way to control it but with the HT Dual omg... sounds amazing and the wolf was barely noticeable...

Does someone knows why is that? does the preamp valve solves the problem? is it possible that changing the valves on the marshall can fix the problem?
I bout the amp used and it still has the Marshall default valves on it... I don't know how much the other owners have used so I don't know the actual condition of the valves but I know the amp is quite olde... maybe 2 or three years!

What about the pickups? Pickups have wax in them, and if the guitar got hot, then the wax melts and posssibly redistributes -- is there any sign of wax having come out of the pickups?

What about the pickups? Pickups have wax in them, and if the guitar got hot, then the wax melts and posssibly redistributes -- is there any sign of wax having come out of the pickups?

Hi Dusty, thanks for answering.
And actually, Yes, one of the first things solutions I tried when I discovered the issue was to adjust the pole screw height on the pick up and when I did this some kind of well... I didn't know what to call it in that moment but something started to apear while turning the screw and now that you mention that I came to the conclusion that thing was wax... so yes, there is wax! but how does wax and a valve based distor pedal like the Blackstar HT Dual can affect this?

what I mean... why with the blackstar pedal the situation improves waaaaay to much?
One thing I noticed is that the distortion on the blackstar is more warm, don't know how to explain it but it just feels sweet and like a big ball of chocolate that I desperately want to bite but sadly I can't :(
It doesnt feels as high gain as the Metal Muff but it is way too more noisy... I liked more the distortion... and I loved how the wolftone diminished with it... but why is that? how can a preamp valve based pedal help with a wolf tone? and what role does wax plays on this?

I havent tried strings gauge... I have a .14 waiting for me to put it in but I've been lazy about it lol...

I wouldn't put too much stock into the fact that one pedal does one thing and another does another. It's probably because the Blackstar Dual is a tube pedal -- tubes make everything sound better. :) I wasn't really responding to your post, just putting another thought out there that a friend of mine suggested to me. According to his theory, your pickups have gone "microphonic" and would likely need to be replaced. Sorry, short of replacing your pickups, I don't know of another solution, and I don't know of another way to test the theory. But at least it's a lot cheaper than the problem being in the neck or anywhere else in the body of the guitar.

I wouldn't put too much stock into the fact that one pedal does one thing and another does another. It's probably because the Blackstar Dual is a tube pedal -- tubes make everything sound better. :) I wasn't really responding to your post, just putting another thought out there that a friend of mine suggested to me. According to his theory, your pickups have gone "microphonic" and would likely need to be replaced. Sorry, short of replacing your pickups, I don't know of another solution, and I don't know of another way to test the theory. But at least it's a lot cheaper than the problem being in the neck or anywhere else in the body of the guitar.

Omg... Never heard of it...
This is somehow bad... Right now I'm not able to buy new pups... Wasnt able to send it back to have it checked either...
It would be cheaper to change the bridge pup but again, we lack qualified guitar techs in here and I don't know how to install one so...

But you know what is weird? I've seen other people with the exact same problem, same guitar model, same string, same fret...

here are some links:

http://prsguitars.com/forum/showthread.php?11457-Just-received-new-S2-Custom-24-and-have-questions

and here you can see the guys talking about it also:

http://prsguitars.com/forum/showthr...ese-quot-Dead-Spots-quot-I-keep-hearing-about

and here another case, same guitar model but from the fender Forum

http://www.fenderforum.com/forum.html/searchthreadgateway.php?topic_number=799967
cleardot.gif

Back