Brand new 10 Top. No mater what I do it feels unplayable - is it me or did the factory rush it out?

Thanks for this thread- solved the problem with my new Custom 24 10 top. I had the same problem- high action, guitar felt terrible to play. I’d looked at my bridge/floating tremolo hundreds of times and it looked fine but it was an illusion. Bridge was 1/16” front but 2/16” back end. I tightened the claw and brought the trem level at front and back. Guitar performing great now. The weird thing is that when I eyeball the tremolo, it doesn’t look level but that’s an illusion- always measure with your shop ruler! Many thanks.

Hey guys. I wanted to give another update after getting the guitar back from the factory.

The bridge height is still higher than factory spec. (an extra 1/16”). It’s the only explanation that I can come up with as to why the string action feels higher than usual past the 15th fret.

Here’s a new wrinkle - the spacing is not even at the back of the trem. The tremolo springs are level and the 6 pivot screws are level, but the treble e side of the bridge is closer to the body than the bass side.

As always, PRS customer service has been fantastic and then said I could bring it back to them, but I think the best way to put this issue to rest is to pay PRS the setup fee and explicitly tell them to get the bridge height right.

I don’t see what the problem is with one side of the bridge higher than the other if the guitar plays properly and stays in tune. Even after a factory setup, that had to be the case with my S2 studio to get the guitar to sound properly. And my guitars are not all the same height in action. These are made out of wood that moves with the string gauge, tension, humidity and playing style. The goal for me is to play it, not measure it with a ruler.

I don’t see what the problem is with one side of the bridge higher than the other if the guitar plays properly and stays in tune. Even after a factory setup, that had to be the case with my S2 studio to get the guitar to sound properly. And my guitars are not all the same height in action. These are made out of wood that moves with the string gauge, tension, humidity and playing style. The goal for me is to play it, not measure it with a ruler.

Dude, you couldn't be more right. Thanks for reminding me about what is most important!!

Back