Brand new 10 Top. No mater what I do it feels unplayable - is it me or did the factory rush it out?

I don't think it will fit
b304861b980c7ea16d66060aeab1d9cb0417bf3f3955b6b382cc8010634325dd.jpg

Thanks for the reply! I will definitely consider a lighter gauge string! It’s funny that mentioned that because last night I thought it might be a gague issue, but it looks like the PRS Classics are the same as the Ernie Ball Slinky 10s (please let me know if I’m wrong). I am pretty used to the Ernie Ball 10s.

You also mentioned scale length! Is it reasonable that the action could increase by 1.5/64 from the 12th to the 24th? Something just doesn’t feel right.

Thank you for the link and the other things that you said!

10s on a LP will have less tension than the same set of strings on your longer scale length Custom 24. If you want similar tension, consider a lighter gauge set on the PRS.

Again, I suspect that out of the box, the heat and humidity experienced in shipping had likely effected the neck, so things were off and hadn’t had a chance to bounce back when you started trying to adjust. At this point I wouldn’t waste time rethinking it, I’d just start fresh by deciding on the string gauge that feels best for you on the longer scale length and go from there to dial it in. Everyone has different preferences and tolerance for variations, so only you can decide what works for you, but in the end, all of these things are a matter of simple physics, so as long as you follow the steps and adjust one thing at a time, there’s not much to it. That being said, if it’s not working out, no harm in seeking a professional to help with the setup.

Last edited:
Do I look like a guy who “gave up“ on PRS?

I have a few.

I am saying they are different, both both make GREAT guitars. The difference, in my opinion, is that to get a great Gibson, you normally have to get a Custom Shop. Whereas PRS makes routinely great guitars at all price points.

I’m also saying that the adjustment from a LP to a PRS will be easier with a 594 (IMO).
My goal in life is to quit on PRS the same way you have.

10s on a LP will have less tension than the same set of strings on your longer scale length Custom 24. If you want similar tension, consider a lighter gauge set on the PRS.

Again, I suspect that out of the box, the heat and humidity experienced in shipping had likely effected the neck, so things were off and hadn’t had a chance to bounce back when you started trying to adjust. At this point I wouldn’t waste time rethinking it, I’d just start fresh by deciding on the string gauge that feels best for you on the longer scale length and go from there to dial it in. Everyone has different preferences and tolerance for variations, so only you can decide what works for you, but in the end, all of these things are a matter of simple physics, so as long as you follow the steps and adjust one thing at a time, there’s not much to it. That being said, if it’s not working out, no harm in seeking a professional to help with the setup.
Thank you so much. I’m so glad you guys mentioned string gauge and I can’t believe I didn’t think of that, because after thinking about it I said to myself “Yeah I guess what I’m feeling is similar to my acoustic guitar which has heavier strings”. I haven’t played a 24 fretter since 04 so I guess it makes sense that that I wouldn’t have thought about it until someone brought it up.

I had a very similar experience when I bought my first PRS, a Custom 22 in 2015, after only playing one Les Paul ( a 2005 Epiphone) for 10 years. The action felt highish, the tension felt funny and overall I simply could not play what I could play on the Les Paul easily. I brought both guitars to a gig and after fumbling with the PRS on the first song switched to the Epi and it was home .

My simple theory here, is being very used to one guitar for a very long time makes switching to any other guitar strange. But there could be more to the matter . Difficult for me to judge without actually playing the guitar

And oh I didn’t give up on PRS either :)

I had a very similar experience when I bought my first PRS, a Custom 22 in 2015, after only playing one Les Paul ( a 2005 Epiphone) for 10 years. The action felt highish, the tension felt funny and overall I simply could not play what I could play on the Les Paul easily. I brought both guitars to a gig and after fumbling with the PRS on the first song switched to the Epi and it was home .

My simple theory here, is being very used to one guitar for a very long time makes switching to any other guitar strange. But there could be more to the matter . Difficult for me to judge without actually playing the guitar

Thank you. I definitely needed to hear that. There’s no way I’m giving up on this McCarty burst.

Give Ernie Ball turbo slinkies a try. It’s a hybrid 9.5-46 gauge set. All of my PRS felt tight to me until I went to that gauge and now they all feel perfect. Also don’t be afraid to adjust the trem itself if it’s sitting too high. You’ll just need to remove the strings and trem springs, after that adjust each screw down the same amount and then put everything back. Some pictures would help us see what was going on better too.

Understatement (cough, giggle)

You can drop the bridge float by tightening the spring tension: macro change with the number and tension of springs, micro change with the claw screws. Tighten the screws to pull on the bridge, loosen to raise. I’ve got 5-springs and .011s on my DGT, nice, low action and I can bend no problem. It’s much easier on my 594 tho, for reasons you know all too well. Divide and conquer and you’ll love that new axe.
Thanks for your answer but I’m still confused how this term system works. Since I’m complaining about tension and I lowered the saddles I’m assuming I want to raise the term?

To me, the bottom already looks pretty parallel to the string…

Give Ernie Ball turbo slinkies a try. It’s a hybrid 9.5-46 gauge set. All of my PRS felt tight to me until I went to that gauge and now they all feel perfect. Also don’t be afraid to adjust the trem itself if it’s sitting too high. You’ll just need to remove the strings and trem springs, after that adjust each screw down the same amount and then put everything back. Some pictures would help us see what was going on better too.
How do I upload pictures? I see no option to do so.

Here are some pictures

9th fret (to show relief at 8)

d1K5lA5.jpg
Trem
pManby3.jpg

String action across frets (4/64 high e, 5/64 low e)
ZtjbxjF.jpg
Trem height looks good to me, just need to tighten the claw to level it out to be perpendicular with the strings. It looks to me like you may need to add some relief as the neck looks almost completely straight. I’ve found that not having enough relief makes the strings feel stiffer too.

Seeing as Sweetwater does a 55 point inspection on their guitars before shipping them out, I'd say this is what you are dealing with. And of course the scale length change, etc...
I only buy guitars on line in the Spring and Fall. All other months, a fair to good chance it will need a set up at a minimum if you decide to buy. Especially true if shipping is from the midwest / east to California.

Seeing as Sweetwater does a 55 point inspection on their guitars before shipping them out, I'd say this is what you are dealing with. And of course the scale length change, etc...
I've received guitars from Sweetwater that weren't set up properly, so you can take that 55 point inspection however you want. What I would suggest to the OP, is take that guitar to a shop that knows PRS and have a professional setup done. I went from LP's to PRS, and never looked back. But all my PRS's are McCarty 594's and 1 McCarty Stoptail. The necks on 24's are too thin for me.
As far as buying during the summer, I just got a 594 Wood Library from Pitbull in Ca. and it was perfect upon arrival. Didn't have to tweak a thing.

Back