Brainstorm - Sustain...getting more

Boogie

Zombie Two, DFZ
I work best in collaborative environments, and though I've probably heard most options before, I need your help to rehash this reoccurring problem. Hope you don't mind.

The Boogie Rig...I love it! For rhythm work it is very, very hard to beat. Flexible, reliable, and tonal nirvana. But for leads, I'm struggling. Again, the tone is really good (though I could use some more diversity) but one element is lacking: sustain. And not that it can't sustain well, I just need more sustain for when I can't fix the problem with volume (the grand sustainer :D ). My quest is to improve the singing sustain in my leads.

Compressors, cranked ODs, increased amp gain, distortion pedals, raise the pickup height, Sustainiacs, etc. I've been down all of these roads and still haven't found the answer. Since I don't want to change any aspect of my current rhythm tone and gain, that discounts all but a couple of options.

My old MXR DynaComp may work for certain applications, but I simply hate it. Maybe a different brand? Keeley 4 knob is just a revamped DynaComp so that's probably the wrong direction. Carl Martin? Seems like an expensive experiment but if it gives uncolored results, so be it. Ideas?

I designed potentiometers into the original Sustainiacs' project, back in he day, so I've played around with those some. It ain't going in the DGT. Period.

I'm running around in circles in my brain. What do you guys think?

Maybe an additional clean-ish OD. Tweak the tone on the high side and adjust Gain to see if that'll getcha whatcha need. I rarely run comp pedals although I won a Suhr comp a while ago & it does do a really good job of adding sustain without squishing the initial attack. I haven't tried it but EX & BOSS make a pedal that is a sustainer type pedal. The EH is the Freeze. BOSS makes the Feedbacker/Booster.

That is pretty cool! Kinda gimmickey but if it didn't cause any other issues, it would be a good cheat. And the price is right.

Your suggestion above is exactly what I do from venue to venue...the amp stays the same, gain balance the KTR and BB, adjust the tone and volume for maximum output. But some rooms are just dead. We don't mic the guitars so I don't have the benefit of the refractive room feedback, either. So maybe it's my bad ears, maybe it's no PA, maybe it's fret or setup issues on Mr. Clean, maybe it's just me.

Thanks for your ideas, Chris. :cool:

Have you tried to raise the strings?It can improve sustain.One way can also be to dial in amp for lead and use volume on guitar for rhythm.Or just simply dial in amp and pedal for leadsound you like and have rhythm without pedal.Vibrato technique also important for leadwork.Just Watch Bonamassa videos where he usually have his leadsound with volumepot on 10 and goes from there,plus great vibrato.Michael schenker used wha pedal for midboost.Check out video from fender where Michael Landau explain his use of the hot rod deville on Clean channel.

Back