Bought my daughter a guitar...

Brad737

This space for rent...
Hello all,

I just bought my daughter Maria her first real guitar for Christmas. Unfortunately, it's not a PRS. I got her a Torino Red Squier Mini Strat.

image_zpsvyqw86bu.jpeg

For what it is, it's a decent little guitar. It should be fine for her to try out and maybe learn a little bit. I realize this is a non-PRS product, but stay with me here.

I would ABSOLUTELY buy her a 3/4 scale PRS if one were available. I realize the Squier's $99 price tag would be hard to match. But I think a 3/4 scale PRS SE might be doable for a street price of around $250. I realize that Bird inlays probably wouldn't work at that price range. But I think either translucent finishes or solid colors on a non-carved top, all-mahogany body might work. I'd also be totally fine with just a single pickup. Am I totally wrong about this? Would any of you consider a 3/4 scale PRS? Surely I'm not the only one!

I had a little Strat made for my son back when he was a tot (and at that time this Squier option wasn't available so I spent a ton), but the truth is that a really fine guitar like a PRS is overkill for a very young player whose hands are still developing and unable to take on a full size guitar. It would have been overkill for my son to spend as much as I did, except that I wasn't aware of any other option at the time.

By the time he could really use the thing, he was ready for a full size guitar, to be honest.

A year or so with the little guitars, and they're really ready for a bigger one, so the small guitar becomes another piece of junk in their rooms, or sits on a shelf somewhere. Very few parents are going to spend a couple to three times the price of that Squier for a PRS.

So no, I don't think it's something PRS should consider. Their resources are best invested elsewhere.

For a giant like Fender, sure, fine, well and good.

Last edited:
My son had one of those also. Great little guitar. Way better than the similarly priced Epi that could not have the intonation corrected.

I would have paid up to $500 for a little SE. Would have held on to it for something to throw in the car on trips. I guess we'll just have to keep buying guitars until PRS is large enough....

Got my son the same Squier a few years ago...nice for the price. If he starts getting serious I will probably get him a Traveler so he gets used to the scale length. My daughter is eyeing up a pink one...

I just bought my daughter Maria her first real guitar for Christmas. Unfortunately, it's not a PRS. I got her a Torino Red Squier Mini Strat.

Well, good luck dealing with CYS... :vroam:

Seriously, good on you. And, like Les said, this is the perfect kind of instrument for her at this stage, and Fender is the right size company to go after this market. PRS isn't. But the SEs will be there when she advances a bit.

But no reason you can't buy her an Archon and a 4x12!

A 24" scale SE would be pretty intriguing, but I wouldn't hold my breath for that, let alone anything shorter.

I just pulled the trigger on a Loog three string guitar for my girl. She's eight and a half, but she's small, so even reaching around to fret a uke is tough. If she sticks with it, I could see going to a Mustang or a Santana SE Standard when she's bigger.

I'd totally grab a couple for my kids, it doesn't worry me that it would be overkill, I'd just rather my money go to a company I trust, like and respect.

I bought a 3/4 Ibanez for myself (it fits in the bag I use to travel for work) and the stoptail has nasty sharp edges on it, I wouldn't want my kid(s) playing a guitar like that!

Also http://prsguitars.com/forum/showthread.php?3225-3-4-Scale-PRS

Awesome! Hope she likes it and graduates to a full size PRS one day!
I had a little Strat made for my son back when he was a tot (and at that time this Squier option wasn't available so I spent a ton), but the truth is that a really fine guitar like a PRS is overkill for a very young player whose hands are still developing and unable to take on a full size guitar. It would have been overkill for my son to spend as much as I did, except that I wasn't aware of any other option at the time.

By the time he could really use the thing, he was ready for a full size guitar, to be honest.

A year or so with the little guitars, and they're really ready for a bigger one, so the small guitar becomes another piece of junk in their rooms, or sits on a shelf somewhere. Very few parents are going to spend a couple to three times the price of that Squier for a PRS.

So no, I don't think it's something PRS should consider. Their resources are best invested elsewhere.

For a giant like Fender, sure, fine, well and good.
This sums it up.

My 3 year old loves his. I have it tuned to drop D. I have it plugged into a little Line6 combo set on full distortion. He will make noise for hours if we let him.

IMG_0584_zpsrffikccm.jpg

But he also loves playing the drums. One of his favorite things to do is play along to the intro of Thunderstruck- it's hilarious.

IMG_0268_zpsxdichx61.jpg

My 9 year old daughter plays piano and violin. Sometimes she joins in on guitar when she is done rolling her eyes at us.

We make A LOT of noise every night. It drives my wife crazy. It's the best thing ever.

Back