Bought an '04 Cu24. Tuners have chrome plated shafts. Huh?

deathbyguitar

I paid a pretty penny for my 2004 core model Custom 24 so I was confused as to why it has chrome posts on the tuners aren't bare brass like usual. The tuners themselves say PRS on the back and they're also locking. Anyone have an idea why this would be? The buttons are also much smaller than my 2018 Custom 24 (phase ii tuners) and my 2013 S2). Any info would be helpful. Thanks!

Bare brass came with the modern eagle in 2005.
The 513 of that year came with the same tuners but plated.
I think unplated became standard with the phase III tuners

Thanks for the insights, guys. Is there any real advantage to bare brass tuners verses what I have now? Do you think I'd notice a difference? I might get them anyway because I'm a impulsive psychopath but I figured I'd ask anyway.

Thanks for the insights, guys. Is there any real advantage to bare brass tuners verses what I have now? Do you think I'd notice a difference? I might get them anyway because I'm a impulsive psychopath but I figured I'd ask anyway.
Hard to say because everything else on the guitar has such a noticeable effect. I'd guess it'd be very hard to notice. But I will say from personal experience that the brass inserts in the wraparound bridge make a noticeable difference - the sound doesn't ever get 'plinky'. That was a problem I always had with earlier wrap bridges. PRS neatly solved it.

Paul Smith says everything affects everything. That's probably true, but the exposed brass string posts would have to be very subtle, indeed.

When I visited the PRS factory at the 30th Anniversary event, I learned that it's actually more expensive for PRS to have the posts un-plated than plated, due to the plating process on the rest of the tuning machine. Go figure!

One thing about Paul Smith: 'It's good enough' is never in his mantra. We tend to focus on tops and colors, and all the stuff that doesn't affect tone. P. Smith is all about the stuff that does have an effect.

Back