Bought a new amp, and some guy scribbled marker on it

andy474x

Knows the Drill
Well, I've seen some things, but this is a new one. Ordered a new amp last week, and someone at the factory got gold marker all over the tolex. Must be a new guy that didn't know where to sign off on his part of the build. Debating whether to keep it, or march it right back to that factory and return it to that person who did this:

50082145527_bbf2dc0e03_c.jpg

Unbelievable. Kinda weird that the script resembles the logo on the front though.

Ok, ok, I think we all know I'm keeping it! Sweetwater limited edition Sweet 16 head. A little backstory that some of you may have heard before - like an idiot, about 6 years ago, I passed on a NOS Sweet 16 that was on clearance for less than $500. Yes, and I never forgave myself... until now. I've also been thinking for a while that I'd like a single channel PRS amp that is just clean to low gain tones, instead of going from clean to high gain like my MT15 and Custom 50. So this was an easy choice.

I like the low wattage, it'll be a good pedal platform amp or even just a plug and play, no pedals amp for smaller venues. It's not terribly loud, which is a good thing, because I can crank it up to the sweet spot (no pun intended) and not be out of place.

This run of amps was advertised as having some of Paul's tweaks based on exemplary blackface amps. I very much hear the resemblance to a BF Deluxe, but this amp has a lot more going on than one of the Fender reissue amps. The note attack is more soft and forgiving than the big, bold thump of a bigger bottle (6L6) amp. It has a switchable bright cap, but even when engaged, the amp isn't so bright that it's harsh by any means. If anything it still wants a brighter speaker to pair with, so far I like a closed back V30 cab most, which is not what I expected but easy enough to accommodate. Of course, having a gain knob is fantastic, being able to get some slightly dirty to crunchy tones without having to crank the master, and the low gain tones are smooth as velvet! Exactly what I was hoping for. Having a mid control is appreciated. The reverb is different from the other PRS amps I've used, it has a longer dwell and more obvious "springy-ness" that feels more like a BF amp. Of course, it's hand wired and USA made, so it's got a very low noise floor and excellent build.

So, there ya have it... keeper!

50082145542_259c42b6b2_c.jpg

Nice snatch. I would pay good money to see Paul on the factory floor for 8 hours a day, plugging in tubes, cussing like a sailor when the pins don't align, chatting up the guys next to him on the production line! :p

Aw yeah! That's killer, and a good write up. Gotta admit, they still have some in stock, and I am super tempted!

If you're looking for something with smooth, light to mid gain, and nice top end articulation, I would say go for it!!! I've been playing it a bit more, and as it burns in a bit, it just gets better and better.

Back