Bought a custom 22 on a whim. What can i expect?

Annaxes

Subterranean Homesick Alien
Ok so i've wanted a prs for a long time. Got my first job a year ago and saved up enough for a used custom 22. Its a 1996 and its supposed to be in great condition just with some light surface scratches but no dings or nicks. Never played one and i mostly just play my strat but i think its about time i get something with some humbuckers! Would it be good for Alt Rock and maybe some phish stuff? Never went into buying a guitar blind before! but it has a 10 top and was $1500? Honestly don't know if i got a killer deal or not seems like prs prices are every where. Also what pickups would it have? They said it was original but didnt know what pickups where in it. Much help is appreciated!! :biggrin:

Will do Alt Rock very well. Don't expect it to sound like a Strat, use your Strat for that. You will also need to tweak the amp settings but you will find it very versatile and easy to play. Great choice and a fair price.

Pray it has dragon 1s because they are incredible. It could have dragon 2s which are good too. My cu22 has dragon 2s and through my 5150 cab it sounds like 57classics but through my celestions loaded cabs it loses something. It's the guitar I play the least but it's still a great guitar. I've really become fond if my prs trem guitars which may be why I play cu22 the least, it has fixed bridge.

Good luck and enjoy your new machine!!!!

I bought a PRS on a whim too, sight unseen and never having played one before and love / hating the overall look ? I think coming in blind is a good think no pre conceived notions about it sounding like this or that. My Paul's doesn't sound like a Strat or a LP and why would you want it to, you just bought a PRS........but it can get you right into that territory. and do justice to anything you play based around those sounds.
It sounds like you bought a guitar that's been pretty well looked after? Be prepared to be impressed.

Get a NGD post as soon as it arrives.

Things are going to start happening to you now.

Be ready for it, and welcome aboard!

Last edited by a moderator:
Very complimentary to your Strat. Between both guitars, you will be able to cover lots of musical territory. Great purchase.

I'd expect that nearly 20 years after it was built, it'll be in need of a setup. But there's nothing better sounding than vintage wood.

You'll probably want to have it set up to your specs. Have that done (or do it yourself per the measurements listed on the PRS support site) so that you have a good, solid starting point for reference.

Expect yourself to start saving money again.
PRSh loves to say that on a couch with a good guitar there is no pain and when you put it down there is no hangover, so they are sophisticated drugs. Being that, they are also higly addictive.

My first was a '96 CU22, it's a great guitar! Congrats! Mine has Dragon I(just labeled "Dragon") pickups that are uncovered. I don't think Dragon 2's were out yet then. Those were covered pickups when they were first launched. The CU22 thrived for heavy guitar driven alt rock in the 90's.

Had a cu22 ten top in dark cherry sunburst. Amazing woody tones with some bite and a lovely wide fat neck. Dragon 2s I believe. Loved it to pieces but sold it for more PRS I eventually sold too. Ah gas....

I bought a 2000 CU22 on a whim.

First thing I did was a refret. I like jumbo Fretwire. So I had a tech refret it with Dunlop 6100 Fretwire.

Then I really hated the winged tuners. So I splashed out on a set of Phase II's.

Then finally I was going to replace the rotary switch with a 3 way toggle. Then my tech showed me the Freeway switch which works like a 3 way but has an upper tier giving you a choice of 6 sounds.

Finally 3 years after buying the guitar. It's now my main instrument. Mine has Dragon II's & a heavy body so it sounds nice & thick.

Enjoy! Play the living crap out of it. Don`t change anything until your ears get used to the sounds it makes. Just have it set up, as Les suggested. Remember, it is its own animal. Not ``like`` any other guitar.

Back