Bought a brand new S2 Singlecut...

You will likely get a ton of opinions but the truth is the only one that matters is yours. If it puts a smile on your face when you pick it up then you got the right one. I own a lot of guitars and some were very expensive and some were pretty inexpensive (comparatively) I like each and every one of them.

Very true! Do you fare the S2 Singlecut (with PRS hardware upgrades) would compete with a core? I'm new to the mystique of the core line and don't know just how crazy they are.
To be honest, I don't have a S2 yet. Got my eye on a Vela if the right opportunity presents itself and have absolutely zero concerns about the expected quality. I have a SE One, 305, Mira, McCarty, and P22. The McCarty was the only one I played first before buying. The Mira may be the "closest" thing to a S2 considering it has less of a carve, but it is a killer guitar that is tough to beat.
Sonically I'm positive the S2 will fill your cup. Same with the fit and finish. The core line gives access to a more prominent carve, exotic tops/woods etc.
In short, I believe you chose well. Enjoy!

I've owned 3 Singlecuts, and recently moved up to an SC245, (the very guitar in my Avatar). I will weigh in with pros & cons...

Pros: I bought all 3 from Sweetwater, so, at the time, I had the luxury of picking my "favorite", based on nicest tops & weight, etc. 2 were Scarlet Red, 1 was Elephant Grey. All of which, EXCEEDED that of several AA flame top Gibson Les Pauls I purchased from them as well, (ALL of which, I no longer own), that also exceeded $2,000. I also negotiated better prices for all three, and paid closer to $1200. So, from a cosmetic standpoint, top-notch. There's some REALLY sick tops on some of these S2's.

All, took very little adjustment/tweaks, to play, not just good, but FANTASTIC. See comment above, back to Gibson. And, not to bash them, but, the fact is, I would pay $1200 for an S2, before dropping $1500 for an LP Studio, again, and again, and again. Don't get me started - I will say, Gibsons need ALOT of work out of the box, to stay in tune, play well, and stay in tune, and, after all that, you'll have to tune it. End of rant.

Like above posts, I've NEVER had a bad PRS. Never had one in a shop, never disliked, never had an issue. You simply can't go wrong.

The ONLY cons, to me, are strictly personal, and partially OCD on my part, with regards to the gigbag. I HAVE to have a case, so I bought one for all 3 when I bought them. But, simply put, it's the nicest gigbag I've ever seen. More than adequate.
My only other gripe, is the pickups. To be fair, I play mostly higher gain, and I found them unfocused, a tad muddy, not for me. Don't like them. But, I also sold a $2300 Les Paul Traditional with '57 Classics that sounded like absolute ****, so again, I'm OCD when it comes to tone, but, I know what I like.. A Duncan Custom and '59 in those S2's make a great guitar awesome.

Have no fear - they're great guitars!

I've owned 3 Singlecuts, and recently moved up to an SC245, (the very guitar in my Avatar). I will weigh in with pros & cons...

Pros: I bought all 3 from Sweetwater, so, at the time, I had the luxury of picking my "favorite", based on nicest tops & weight, etc. 2 were Scarlet Red, 1 was Elephant Grey. All of which, EXCEEDED that of several AA flame top Gibson Les Pauls I purchased from them as well, (ALL of which, I no longer own), that also exceeded $2,000. I also negotiated better prices for all three, and paid closer to $1200. So, from a cosmetic standpoint, top-notch. There's some REALLY sick tops on some of these S2's.

All, took very little adjustment/tweaks, to play, not just good, but FANTASTIC. See comment above, back to Gibson. And, not to bash them, but, the fact is, I would pay $1200 for an S2, before dropping $1500 for an LP Studio, again, and again, and again. Don't get me started - I will say, Gibsons need ALOT of work out of the box, to stay in tune, play well, and stay in tune, and, after all that, you'll have to tune it. End of rant.

Like above posts, I've NEVER had a bad PRS. Never had one in a shop, never disliked, never had an issue. You simply can't go wrong.

The ONLY cons, to me, are strictly personal, and partially OCD on my part, with regards to the gigbag. I HAVE to have a case, so I bought one for all 3 when I bought them. But, simply put, it's the nicest gigbag I've ever seen. More than adequate.
My only other gripe, is the pickups. To be fair, I play mostly higher gain, and I found them unfocused, a tad muddy, not for me. Don't like them. But, I also sold a $2300 Les Paul Traditional with '57 Classics that sounded like absolute ****, so again, I'm OCD when it comes to tone, but, I know what I like.. A Duncan Custom and '59 in those S2's make a great guitar awesome.

Have no fear - they're great guitars!
You negotiated prices at sweetwater? Didn't know that was possible?

You negotiated prices at sweetwater? Didn't know that was possible?

Try Musicstorelive.com

The guys there are amazing. Ben will make you one happy camper, and Ive got to say, their service edges out Sweetwater.

I just had a Fedex shipping problem and the folks there bent over backwards to make things right.

You WILL end up wanting AND buying a core model and not just one mind you.

Buy a core model and skip.a step. It will be cheaper in the long run!!!

I think most people would agree with you but I am probably one of the rare few who prefers the S2. I was under no budget constraints, and was really prepared to get a core custom 24, but when I picked up the Standard 24 and started playing it, the guitar just felt right. I was really torn (I really liked the Custom 24), but the more I tested both, the more I knew that the S2 would be my number one for years to come.

Perhaps if PRS comes out with a new CE22 my tune will change

I think most people would agree with you but I am probably one of the rare few who prefers the S2. I was under no budget constraints, and was really prepared to get a core custom 24, but when I picked up the Standard 24 and started playing it, the guitar just felt right. I was really torn (I really liked the Custom 24), but the more I tested both, the more I knew that the S2 would be my number one for years to come.

Perhaps if PRS comes out with a new CE22 my tune will change

In a lot of ways I prefer the S2 Standard over all my Core guitars. Be it the Singlecut or the 22, both of those guitars have a feel and look that is exquisite and understated. I totally get it!!

I loved my S2 when I had it. Now I'm spoiled with my Core guitars. I will say, I just picked up an American Pro Telecaster and it's no slouch. It feels as good as my PRS guitars. Definitely a step up from the American Standards I've played.

I think you have to measure the guitar based on its own merits. If you think of it as a "Core Light", you may find yourself unsatisfied. The S2 series have their own feel and style, and if that works for you, you won't regret it.

True. That's seems to be the thing with PRS overall - the guitars are their own thing. Tonally, they are PRS - not G or F. Visually, many models share the same basic outline, but that's where similarities kind of end. You can look for common features - neck profiles, electronics, etc - but each instrument will be it's own thing. S2 vs. Core - again while shapes may be the "same" - the instruments are different. Like said above, the S2 isn't a "Core Light" - it is an S2. It offers things that a Core may not - the body bevels feel different than the carve, the mahogany body with the pickguard on the S2 Standard offers a different sound - not better, not worse. It's just different. Personally, everything about the S2 "works" for me - no need to change anything. It's a color in the palette, another brush in the quiver if you will.

It's a well-made American guitar. Sure it has some imported parts, but those parts are great. Can you change them to make it 100% "American"? Sure. It's a free country. Is it going to make the S2 "better"? Only you can decide.

Music has always been subjective. Being that a musical instrument is an integral part of this form of artistic expression, the guitar sound and appearance are no exception to subjective opinion. One mans POS Hello Kitty 6 string is another mans hidden treasure. If it inspires the musician to sing the strings with soul, then it its an integral piece of the artwork.

Core, S2, SE... if it inspires and sings for you, then it doesnt matter what others think or say.

I always love watching talented street musicians, with nothing but one instrument to their name, express pure magic with nothing more than but a beat up (but well loved) instrument. Its kind of like their soul mate.

Back