Boomer Guitars Future Value

I really wanted a Jackson Soloist Custom back in the hair metal days. I have come across a nice one twice since then. I almost bought both of them but then realized they are not really what I like in a guitar anymore and passed on both. I guarantee that if I came across another nice one, it would make me pause and think about buying it, especially if it was really nice at a good price.

My son loves boomer guitars. He's a Fender endorser but loves my '65 SG Special and has other '60s guitars.

I don't know if there's a name for Stradivari's generation, But his instruments are still worth a lot. Same with Amati. Every prediction is guesswork.

Last edited:
What, pray tell, is a “boomer guitar?” These guys live off $hit stirring.
That’s the first thing that I said when I saw title. But there are actually quite a few videos and discussions on this subject. They did a pretty good job of describing what a lot of the younger guitarists think of the older guitars, at least that’s what I picked up from watching a few of the different videos.

My feeling, though, is not focused so much on guitarists these days as it is on vocalists, and why having a great singing voice can be your ticket to celebrity. That being said, I can't personally sing and play worth beans yet, and am hoping to put more practice time in with my guitar so my skill level can hang with the house band at open-mics. There may be a time where I can learn to sing and play, but realistically, you gotta learn how to do one before you can learn how to do both at the same time.
I don’t think it has anything to do with singers and their voices, autotune has enabled them to pretty much make anyone sound good. Its all about finding entertainers and not so much musicians. They look for someone with a story they can push or some freak that can shock the audience.

In the early '90s I turned down a 1953 Gold Top Les Paul with P-90s and a Trapeze tailpiece for $3500. And a 1965 Strat for a similar amount.

Seriously, WTF was I thinking!!! Business was booming then, I could have just bought 'em and put 'em aside. But I didn't. And I'll tell you why:

(a) I knew NOTHING; and,

(b) I didn't want beat up old guitars with cases that smelled like thousands of smoky gigs and beer in my studio.

Did I mention that I knew NOTHING?

I think you should all feel as sorry for me as I feel for myself for not buying these Boomer or Pre-Boomer guitars!!! So internet videos are...about worth what you pay to watch them. ;)

When I moved to florida in late ‘89 the pawn shops around Tampa, Clearwater, etc were littered with Marshall heads, like older non master volume stuff and JCM800’s. They were giving them away at around 350 apiece. Of course I was dead broke but I wanted a trailer full, not because they would be valuable, but because they killed and sounded amazing. I remember being in Brattleboro, VT a little while later and seeing a shop demo Les Paul Custom for $1350 and I passed, was a lot of money for me then. if Only……

When I moved to florida in late ‘89 the pawn shops around Tampa, Clearwater, etc were littered with Marshall heads, like older non master volume stuff and JCM800’s. They were giving them away at around 350 apiece. Of course I was dead broke but I wanted a trailer full, not because they would be valuable, but because they killed and sounded amazing. I remember being in Brattleboro, VT a little while later and seeing a shop demo Les Paul Custom for $1350 and I passed, was a lot of money for me then. if Only……
My mommy bought me a LPC in 89 for $660 at GC.

I miss that woman.

Back