Boomer Guitars Future Value

I remember being in Brattleboro, VT a little while later and seeing a shop demo Les Paul Custom for $1350 and I passed, was a lot of money for me then. if Only……

I went to Brattleboro (someone I knew was selling vintage stuff from a personal gallery!) and ran into a square dancing convention.

Lots of ....ah, robust-looking people, in what I took to be traditional attire. Not a PRS among them either.....

Yup. As the supply dwindles, the prices increase. Simple economics.
They aren't always quite "that" simple though. Cash supply obviously has a lot to do with it, as evidenced by what happened to used gear prices over the last 3 years while the govt. was dumping billions into the economy.

But you're going on the assumption that the younger generation wants the older “boomer guitars”. An item is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it. So if you try to sell a guitar for $10k and nobody ever buys it, is it really worth $10k??

Step 1: Guitar players exist.
Step 2: Most are going to find out about the history of the instrument whether they like it or not.
Step 3: An X % of guitar players are absolutely going to buy into the Legend that is Vintage guitars.
Step 4: Limited Supply of Vintage guitars.

I think it'd be foolish to think that after learning the history of the instrument that the X% of players would be too small for the limited supply. The increased growth of guitar playing in these past 3 years insures some will still be playing for a good time to come.

I am still excited to see where the PRS guitars are gunna land in all of this. PRS guitars have been making a new legend in their own way.

I know if I was a multi-millionaire with a strong income stream I'd buy me a nice......Gold.....LP.....650...mainly cuz Lambos are cool....and then another Private stock of course!

Last edited:
As tone woods of the past become more rare and species more protected all those "boomer guitars" will become more valuable.

Step 1: Guitar players exist.
Step 2: Most are going to find out about the history of the instrument whether they like it or not.
Step 3: An X % of guitar players are absolutely going to buy into the Legend that is Vintage guitars.
Step 4: Limited Supply of Vintage guitars.

I think it'd be foolish to think that after learning the history of the instrument that the X% of players would be too small for the limited supply. The increased growth of guitar playing in these past 3 years insures some will still be playing for a good time to come.

I am still excited to see where the PRS guitars are gunna land in all of this. PRS guitars have been making a new legend in their own way.

I know if I was a multi-millionaire with a strong income stream I'd buy me a nice......Gold.....LP.....650...mainly cuz Lambos are cool....and then another Private stock of course!

Assuming guitar players are the buyers in the future. More and more of these things are going to collectors due to the high prices, and I don't think it's unreasonable to think that the market for them will shift to the collectors/investors in the future. Think Jim Irsay but with less actual music interest.

Back