Boomer Guitars Future Value

Ruffone

This was an interesting discussion they had on the state of “boomer guitars”, as they put it, once all the boomers are gone. What’s your thoughts?

I'm in my 70's, started playing guitar at 12, and I have never sold a guitar because I wanted to. A few I sold to friends, who from time to time offer me the opportunity to play them again. Honestly the Parker Fly, PRS, and even the Reverend 12 string I currently own are twice the guitars the old vintage ones I owned were. I would never want to go back, if you get my drift!

Tele's, strat's, les paul's, es-335's etc. from the 1950's through to the end of the 1960's that are tens of thousands of dollars each. Sometimes more, rarely less. I guess the question is always, will people always value those guitars at those prices for decades to come or is it nostalgia that will subside as generations pass?

It's likely the Golden Age of Guitar Production. For Martins, Pre-WWII, for Gibson / Fender, from '57 to '65. Things begin to decrease in price accordingly with condition, year of manufacture, and originality. (i.e. you gotta know how to identify something from the used market as having all-original parts, whether any work has been done on the frets or electronics, or refinishing, etc.)

Although I'm not well-versed in the used Golden Age market, the resale value as an investment piece will likely climb as boomers die off and estate sales offer their collectibles back into the used market. The alternative is that those who purchased collectibles several decades ago can expect to see their investments pay off if they were to offer these in the open market, or better yet, at auction houses like Sotheby's where the next generation of collectors will pay well to obtain the unobtainium.

My feeling, though, is not focused so much on guitarists these days as it is on vocalists, and why having a great singing voice can be your ticket to celebrity. That being said, I can't personally sing and play worth beans yet, and am hoping to put more practice time in with my guitar so my skill level can hang with the house band at open-mics. There may be a time where I can learn to sing and play, but realistically, you gotta learn how to do one before you can learn how to do both at the same time.

To think that it’s generation-based rather than wealth-based is a bit silly. That’s YouTube for you, though. All sizzle and no steak.
Well I think in fact it may be a little of both. Some of it is nostalgic, now that I’m older and yes have more spending power I can afford what I considered to be a cool guitar back in my youth. But someone of a different generation has a little different take on what a cool guitar is. True a 59 LP and any early Str*t will bring collectible value but most of the other stuff will most likely go down in value as time goes by.
I think I see it best in the collectible car market mainly muscle cars. While some of the stalwarts are coming down from there ridiculously high values some head scratching (to me) later models are going way up in value think 80/90’s Mustang GT’s, IROC’s, 300Z’s etc. Even ultra clean 80’s passenger cars all mostly known for their poor build quality are going what I consider silly high prices. So to me this shows that generation values them. No different in the guitar world.
I think it is both generation based and wealth based, thoughts?

Well I think in fact it may be a little of both. Some of it is nostalgic, now that I’m older and yes have more spending power I can afford what I considered to be a cool guitar back in my youth. But someone of a different generation has a little different take on what a cool guitar is. True a 59 LP and any early Str*t will bring collectible value but most of the other stuff will most likely go down in value as time goes by.
I think I see it best in the collectible car market mainly muscle cars. While some of the stalwarts are coming down from there ridiculously high values some head scratching (to me) later models are going way up in value think 80/90’s Mustang GT’s, IROC’s, 300Z’s etc. Even ultra clean 80’s passenger cars all mostly known for their poor build quality are going what I consider silly high prices. So to me this shows that generation values them. No different in the guitar world.
I think it is both generation based and wealth based, thoughts?
I completely agree with this. ^^^

I have noticed it in the car market as well. As the older guys die off, the cars they desired because those are what were popular and they always wanted one back in their day are not what the next generation experienced. Some of the old unobtainable cars are coming down in price and what was popular with the next generation are going up. It is definitely affected by nostalgia.

It seems that 70's and 80's guitars are becoming expensive - maybe its because the 'kids' of the 70's/80's grew up wanting those guitars and couldn't afford them - now they are 'older', they have more free cash as mortgages and kids have come and gone so now they can get the 'gear' they grew up wanting.

When I was young, a 59 LP Burst wasn't a 'special' instrument for many - it was just a used Gibson Les Paul. In fact, an '85' PRS would be 'older' to me today than a 59 Burst was when I started playing and when Slash made the LP very popular again, the Original 59's weren't even 30yrs old.

There is always a point where things stop being just 'old/used' and become 'Vintage'. So many have 'stories' of selling 'used' gear for 'used' gear money, only then to regret it some years later as those instruments stopped being 'just' used instruments and became 'vintage', started to go up and up in value. Partly because of how 'rare' they are now and partly because you are now competing with 'collectors' looking to buy 'investments' as well as musicians so more 'rich' customers than products so demand and value rises.

It doesn't mean its a 'better' instrument than you can buy today for a small fraction of the cost etc, you are paying 'Collectors' value based on age, historical relevance, brand etc etc - not its 'quality' as a musical instrument. I know some like 'vintage/old' instruments, feeling they have 'more Mojo', broken in already and have a certain aesthetic, that patina of decades of us that can't be faked so worth paying for.

Early PRS, those with Brazilian Fretboards as 'standard' (pre-91) - especially those '85' models seem to be more expensive now than a 'new' Custom 24 and rising. Give it another 10yrs and you may see 90's guitars becoming 'expensive' too...

Back