bone nuts?

juka

Pioneer Of The SCF
I may have missed something, but after watching all those videos of Paul comparing nut materials over the years, I was under the impression that PRS's proprietary nut material was the best of all, hence the nickname "Unobtanium".
So why and when did they start using bone nuts (again?) on their "higher class" models?
Is bone suddenly better than "Unobtainium" or is it just to complement their latest trend to use more neck bindings? ;-)

Last edited:
I would guess more so the latter than the former. Bone has always been a fantastic nut material, the challenge can be that potentially bone can have "dead spots" inside it in some samples. You would assume they somehow check their bone nuts to detect this defect where it exists, but it's an interesting question.

In the rules of tone video, he doesn't declare a victor. He just calls out that the different materials sound different.

I agree that on the 594 models, bone is just part of the vintage tone formula they were following.

In the rules of tone video, he doesn't declare a victor. He just calls out that the different materials sound different.

I agree that on the 594 models, bone is just part of the vintage tone formula they were following.

Yup. My McCarty Singlecut, which predates the 594 by a couple of years, also has a bone nut. But my 20th PS Anniversary from last year has a 594 scale length with a trem and a traditional PRS nut.

The early PRSes came with trems, and the nuts were chosen both for sound and because they were self-lubricating.

Last edited:
I think bone is used on models that are intended to be more vintage sounding, and it's done for tone reasons. High end models with trems still get the "unobtainium" nuts, including PS releases.

^^^ This.
Bone is used here for tone purposes. We have some other models with top-notch specifications.

Back