Bolt on neck popping sound

Atticus808

I was playing my Silver Sky and heard a sound come from the neck pocket. Looked it over and everything seemed fine. Tugged a bit with my hand around the headstock and felt a very very very slight shift with a pop sound.

neck doesn’t seem to be crooked and bolts seem to be tight. Checked my intonation and everything was good.

Is this a common thing with bolt on necks?

If you felt the neck shift, the neck mounting screws are probably not tight enough.

Not the Pop music a guitar should make.

Maybe the pick guard is catching? I guess the neck would have to shift for that too...yikes!

Last edited:
On bolts on neck with tight neck pockets I have had to remove strings , and give the neck a seating tap with a mallet , then tighten the screws again ( cover the neck with a cloth ) and be sure body and neck pocket is 100% supported and use a light tap.

On bolts on neck with tight neck pockets I have had to remove strings , and give the neck a seating tap with a mallet , then tighten the screws again ( cover the neck with a cloth ) and be sure body and neck pocket is 100% supported and use a light tap.
I use a 2lb sledge for this type of precise adjustment!

The neck hasn’t moved again and I don’t want to pull on it by the headstock again to check incase I loosen the screws.

I tried tightening the screws and they seem to be tight.

I assume everything is all good and this can happen then?

I had a Strat making similar noises. Took it to my tech who tuned it to pitch, set it on its strap button and slowly loosened each neck screw about a half turn only. It made one more pop, he tightened the screws and for 4 years after I never heard the sound again.

He said the tension from the strings properly seated the neck, which may have shifted slightly since wood is imperfect and can ‘settle’ over time of be affected by temps or humidity levels. That being said I’ve had an army of Strat style guitars over the years including my Silver Sky and that was the only time I had that issue.

I had a Strat making similar noises. Took it to my tech who tuned it to pitch, set it on its strap button and slowly loosened each neck screw about a half turn only. It made one more pop, he tightened the screws and for 4 years after I never heard the sound again.

He said the tension from the strings properly seated the neck, which may have shifted slightly since wood is imperfect and can ‘settle’ over time of be affected by temps or humidity levels. That being said I’ve had an army of Strat style guitars over the years including my Silver Sky and that was the only time I had that issue.

I do the same thing with pretty much every bolt neck guitar I’ve owned. It just makes sure the neck is fully seated up tight to the body. Did it on day one with my Silver Sky (which actually seemed pretty well seated already based on the limited sound it made....unlike some fenders I’ve done it with).

I do the same thing with pretty much every bolt neck guitar I’ve owned. It just makes sure the neck is fully seated up tight to the body. Did it on day one with my Silver Sky (which actually seemed pretty well seated already based on the limited sound it made....unlike some fenders I’ve done it with).

ah so yours also made a bit of a noise?

I’m just worried that by moving the neck a little I messed up the screws/holes

Last edited:
ah so yours also made a bit of a noise?

I’m just worried that by moving the neck a little I messed up the screws/holes

Yeah, when I loosened the screws under tension it gave a slight creak...that always happens when doing that in my experience, unless it’s already been done and the neck is fully seated against the bod already. It’s a little scary the first time but it’s just the string tension pulling the neck tight the body if it’s not already.

Back