Bob Dylan: Nobel Prize: Literature

Is he right? No
Is he wrong? Yes
Could the Nobel committee have found another honoree? One who could put the award to good use? Probably safe to say yes? But then they would not have their cliche' performer/honoree at their gala.
I am not surprised though because that is what rock stars and celebrities do. Look for some shock value to make a statement. Most often in the name of tolerance, when they themselves are the ones who are intolerant to views different than their own.

This just in: Bob says 'No Thanks' and will NOT attend the Nobel Prize ceremony. Oh well, guess he's got a better gig to do.

Go 'way from my window,
Leave at your own chosen speed.
I'm not the one you want, babe,
I'm not the one you need.

Does he still get the check?

"According to the statutes of the Nobel Foundation, each laureate is required to give a public lecture on a subject related to the topic of their prize. The laureate is only obliged to give the lecture within six months of receiving the prize..." and "The laureates are given a sum of money when they receive their prizes, in the form of a document confirming the amount awarded" When they receive their prizes, to me, says they actually have to show up and be presented with the award. So if he doesn't show, then no money?

Here's a link to one website's story.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry...el-prize-ceremony_us_582cab49e4b030997bbd0a42

I guess it all relates down to "what's important" to people.
I would think a majority of folks feel it's an honor not to be disregarded, I also believe a small minority of people (like Bob) feel it's unimportant in their perspective of things.

I changed the title of the thread because in the original story he was called that 'by some' in the media when he became incommunicado when the prize was announced, remember?

In any case, in Dylan's spoken word lecture he deeply reflects on the three novels he read in grammar school: Moby Dick, All Quiet on The Western Front and The Odyssey that opened his mind to all possibilities.

Back