Blower Switch like Suhr Guitars but on push pull

Benjamin Sertelon

Hi guys !

I already mailed the PRS Custom Support, but, well, maybe they will be busy, and with the jet lag I think it's a good idea to ask here too...

I have a problem, my guitar tech is not able to make a blower switch like on Suhr Guitars (the sound of the bridge pickup is directly sent in jack output) with a regular push pull volume knob… For him the problem is due to 3-cables on PRS pickups and 5 way rotary selector. I don"t want to install a 3 pdt switch and drill my beloved Custom 24 20 anniversary…

Someone has done the same thing?

Excuse my bad english, I am French (and excuse me for that too... :laugh: )

With the rotary? Hmmmm, stumped me!! You need to both shut off all the other circuitry and also re-rout the bridge pickup straight to the output jack, right? the rotary has a tendency to prevent other modifications from happening in the circuit.

Welcome to the forums. Good question. I am a fan of the blower switches. I'll be watching to see if anyone knows how to do this.

Hi guys !

I already mailed the PRS Custom Support, but, well, maybe they will be busy, and with the jet lag I think it's a good idea to ask here too...

I have a problem, my guitar tech is not able to make a blower switch like on Suhr Guitars (the sound of the bridge pickup is directly sent in jack output) with a regular push pull volume knob… For him the problem is due to 3-cables on PRS pickups and 5 way rotary selector. I don"t want to install a 3 pdt switch and drill my beloved Custom 24 20 anniversary…

Someone has done the same thing?

Excuse my bad english, I am French (and excuse me for that too... :laugh: )

Not really answering your question, but here is an alternative. I have blower switches, but mine do have a hole and a mini-toggle (PSs).

Last edited:
It is poosible if your guitar has a toggle switch and p/p pot or the 408-style wiring, but it isn't possible with a 5 way switch.

Hi guys ! Thanks for the answers !

It's seems impossible to have a blower switch with a volume knob on PRS because of the three cables... and I do not want to put a toggle (and don't want to put off my tone knob). But...but one guitar tech at 1 hour of my city has volume knob 4pdt (custom made by MEC) for cases like PRS... He will receive the next orders at the end of august, if it work I would post a message here !

Hey Shawn, thanks for your comment ! Do you think it's possible with the 4pdt volume knob this guitar tech is talking about?

Wow, you could do a lot with a 4PDT switch. You might be able to make it happen with that. The outputs of the rotary are one to volume, one to tone, one to ground, so put each of those on their own poles on the switch, then in the down position continue them to their usual destinations. Then extend the hot from where the bridge humbucker connects to the rotary to the 4th pole on the switch, and in the up position, make it go straight to the output jack. That's where I would start with that setup, not 100% sure it would work but seems like it might.

I had the PTC put a push/pull volume on my SCTME that connected the bridge pickup straight to the output jack about two months ago.

Back