Blemishes in brand-new satin finish?

Just curious what everyone thinks... I'm new to the PRS camp. I purchased a Wood Library McCarty 594 Singlecut online, brand-new, and this thing is amazing. I've never laid hands on a guitar of this calibre, quite frankly, and it feels/plays like an absolute dream. I even followed the "wait until 24 hours after opening" rule once it arrived, as hard as it was.

Naturally, as everyone knows, buying something sight-unseen (outside of pics) is a bit of a risk. Although advertised as brand-new, the satin finish on the guitar has some somewhat obnoxious, thin rub marks on the sides of the body where something has rubbed the satin finish "glossy" - maybe a stand of some sort, I don't know. These marks weren't disclosed. I did get a very good price on the instrument and like I said - so far everything else seems perfect. It's also the wood/option combination I want (ebony fretboard, all regular mahogany, paua inlays) so honestly I kinda don't want to give it back. ;)

So - I know it's probably one of those "can I tolerate them" situations, but I'm also curious whether there might be a way to get the marks out or at least make them less obvious. Thoughts?

I'll post pics if I get a chance.

I personally am not a fan of the satin finish. I played a certain PRS Artists model which was new out of the box. After a very short time of VERY careful play the were many play marks. I gave it back to the shop.

As others have said, a satin finish will gloss up in spots, such as where your arm rests while playing, etc.

It’s the nature of any paint to become shiny when rubbed; things rubbing against it will polish it out. Nothing to be done about it.

Back