Blemish on Private Stock Top

I actually dig the marks, she's gorgeous!

You could look at it from another angle, like if, god forbid, that beauty ever got stolen, she's so unique that you'd have no problem id'ing her when she resurfaced. A few years ago when Taylor introduced the Grand Orchestra series, I had #34 of the 100 First Edition 618e's and it had a gorgeous Sitka bear claw top. I know that's not everyone's cup of tea, but I loved it and it was the only 618FE I saw or have seen since, that had that amount of bear claw. If down the road I ever run across that guitar again, I'd have no problem id'ing her simply from the bear claw.

I actually dig the marks, she's gorgeous!

You could look at it from another angle, like if, god forbid, that beauty ever got stolen, she's so unique that you'd have no problem id'ing her when she resurfaced. A few years ago when Taylor introduced the Grand Orchestra series, I had #34 of the 100 First Edition 618e's and it had a gorgeous Sitka bear claw top. I know that's not everyone's cup of tea, but I loved it and it was the only 618FE I saw or have seen since, that had that amount of bear claw. If down the road I ever run across that guitar again, I'd have no problem id'ing her simply from the bear claw.

Bear claw rocks!

Send. Me. The. Guitar.

So far no one has.

It’s blue - clearly meant to come over to my abode (heck, I even got a new roof for it to feel all safe and warm) for some empirical research :D

I bet he doesn’t send it to either of you! He’s beginning to love that “wart” and every time he looks at it, he’ll remember why he loves it so!;)

Last edited:
I don’t consider that a blemish, just the natural beauty of that top. I actually like the occasional mineral streak such as that I feel it makes the top more interesting aesthetically and unique overall.

I hear everybody, but this isn't really a mineral streak, it's a wormtrack. Like someone else said, it looks like a sine wave so I guess it was meant to be. It's just that in the what seemed like an eternity I waited for this I must have looked at thousands of private stock pictures and I never saw one of these marks on it. I mean, I have seen some carves where the figuring has a dead spot, and yes plenty of mineral streaks, so in that regard it could be worse. Obviously I'll get over it, it's just when the price is in the five figure range for a guitar and you waited so long it was a tough thing to see. But I've been playing the crap out of it, the build quality is just amazing, and there's all kinds of custom elements, I feel bad feeling bad about this.

It adds to the character of the top, it’s a very unique piece.
That is one killer guitar!
Enjoy it

Reactions: Tag
I hear everybody, but this isn't really a mineral streak, it's a wormtrack. Like someone else said, it looks like a sine wave so I guess it was meant to be. It's just that in the what seemed like an eternity I waited for this I must have looked at thousands of private stock pictures and I never saw one of these marks on it. I mean, I have seen some carves where the figuring has a dead spot, and yes plenty of mineral streaks, so in that regard it could be worse. Obviously I'll get over it, it's just when the price is in the five figure range for a guitar and you waited so long it was a tough thing to see. But I've been playing the crap out of it, the build quality is just amazing, and there's all kinds of custom elements, I feel bad feeling bad about this.

Hey,
Not to bring up bad memories, but I waited longer than you for my first PS, paid over 10k, and it came in with a body that was 1/8" thinner than it was suppose to be, and chambered from the front instead of the back! I almost passed out, but it ended up being my favorite guitar for 8 years!

I totally get what you are saying, nearly impossible not to have high expectations on a PRS PS custom build given the level of consistent excellence over so many years, not to mention the significant investment in wait time and money by you to order one. I’m glad you are enjoying it when playing! Hopefully you are creating more good memories with your guitar - which is very epic!

It's fine. Nothing to fuss about.

And screw Les, sent it to me. hahaha

Hopefully, the worm has left the building. PRS built a guitar once, and after completion, the unknown worm living inside decided to bore its way out.

I think that’s an up charge in private stock.

I'd tell everyone far and wide that the worm crawled out of my guitar and into a bottle of mezcal. Then I'd keep a bottle with a worm in it handy just for show and tell...:cool:

Didn’t you mention in your first post that you, yourself, picked the wood for the guitar?

You picked a winner.

Send. Me. The. Guitar.

This thread is a little nuts. You’re far too silly to own it. ;)

Send. Me. The. Guitar. It’s fabulous. Gorgeous. Box it up and be sure to send tracking info. Do it now, before you forget.

Last edited:
I totally get what you are saying, nearly impossible not to have high expectations on a PRS PS custom build given the level of consistent excellence over so many years, not to mention the significant investment in wait time and money by you to order one. I’m glad you are enjoying it when playing! Hopefully you are creating more good memories with your guitar - which is very epic!

Yeah, it's not really anyone's fault, it's nature. I'll get over it. It was meant to be. Even nature gave me a custom top. The build, as I have said before, is simply phenomenal. Just really amazing in every regard. Like, The PS team is a bunch of mind readers. I love how as I play the neck gets smoother and glossier and the figuring pops out a little.

Kind of what I think too. Hope you come to love it - such a shame if not having waited so long. For what it's worth my Custom has a massive worm mark in the top and it doesnt bother me as I like the guitar for what it is and how it plays.

Back