Blasted SE SS

aphantomvaper

Bend it to the Owl!
Last year while searching for some Jerry Garcia stuff I came across an article discussing PRSh installing an Alembic Stratoblaster in a guitar of his, 1979 IIRC.

I knew Jerry had one in his strat, and I had recently received my SE Silver Sky and the specs are supposed to be Fender-like so I went for it, and bought an Alembic Stratoblaster unit for my axe.

Here is the install.

Running the Wires
CADz6ww.jpg

It fit the output jack perfectly, and the Plate was manufactured to fender spec
Mjd1BKU.jpg

Power wires goes through the existing routing to the back of the trem cavity, with the battery under some foam behind the trem block.
Plenty of room for trem use!

yqAeWC5.jpg

Finished product, adds some DB of gain to the signal. If the battery dies, turn it off and the pickups work normally.
S6bNyUz.jpg

John Mayer beat me to it somewhat with the reveal, and the gold plate looks terrible on his guitar, in my opinion :D

This axe is sweet!

Last edited:
Also put on SS Vintage locking Tuners.

The SE SS Ferrules are different fromthe Core SS. I learned this after pressing out all the old ferrules. Should have checked!

GBHyjT3.jpg

P9geChJ.jpg

Luckily my years of dealing with repressed anger helped with repressing the ferrules, and installing the tuners!

qIegNWv.jpg

Last year while searching for some Jerry Garcia stuff I came across an article discussing PRSh installing an Alembic Stratoblaster in a guitar of his, 1979 IIRC.

I knew Jerry had one in his strat, and I had recently received my SE Silver Sky and the specs are supposed to be Fender-like so I went for it, and bought an Alembic Stratoblaster unit for my axe.

Here is the install.

Running the Wires
CADz6ww.jpg

It fit the output jack perfectly, and the Plate was manufactured to fender spec
Mjd1BKU.jpg

Power wires goes through the existing routing to the back of the trem cavity, with the battery under some foam behind the trem block.
Plenty of room for trem use!

yqAeWC5.jpg

Finished product, adds some DB of gain to the signal. If the battery dies, turn it off and the pickups work normally.
S6bNyUz.jpg

John Mayer beat me to it somewhat with the reveal, and the gold plate looks terrible on his guitar, in my opinion :D

This axe is sweet!
Beautiful guitar! Looks just like my Moon White SE SS.

A lot of guys chasing that sound don't know about the Stratoblaster

It's the "secret" to Jerry's Strat sound.

The stock SE pickups are really good, but on a friend's recommendation I put some Chubtone 61's in mine. Smoother treble. Mike Gray makes them in Austin.

The SE Silver Sky is a professional guitar just as it comes tho.

But it's also a terrific platform for mods!

Last edited:
Back