Blasphemy, Heresy, and Justice for Sergio

andy474x

Knows the Drill
I got an itch to try a pedal yesterday. I went to the shop to scratch it, and it wasn't there, which surprised me - the local shop usually has all the things, and wouldn't you know, they didn't have just the one I was looking for.

But, you know what they still had? That Frost Blue S2 Studio. Seriously? Are they just not good at selling guitars?

They also had 4 Silver Sky guitars in stock. Since I needed to finally try one... I did. And, wouldn't you know, that Studio found its way into my paws again too. Weird thing - I liked the Studio more. Don't get me wrong, the SS was a great, great instrument, there were many things about it that I appreciated given the goal that PRS and JM were aiming for, but it's JM's thing, not mine. I really, really dug the feel of the strings, very loose and nice to bend despite being 25.5" scale. The neck radius didn't bother me a bit. But, the frets were quite small, and I do like my big frets. Just helps me feel like I can play and bend without having to push down so hard, and I don't get tangled in adjacent strings when I bend with big frets, they don't get stuck under the pad of my finger and start to sound an unintended note. That, and honestly, I just don't think I'm man enough to pull off playing that kind of guitar! I freaking love JM and what he does with the Silver Sky, the sound of an "S" type guitar in general, it's probably one of my favorite sounds of all time because it has such a unique character that I love. But it's one of those things where I get it in my hands and I just can't make it speak the way it should. I think playing the "S" (or SS, in this case) type guitar is like driving a premium sports car - if you only know how to drive your auto transmission daily driver, and you get behind the wheel of a manual, high performance Corvette for the first time, you probably won't be able to drive it to its potential for a long time. I adjusted the amp and got the Silver Sky sounding good, but I could just tell I wasn't anywhere close to getting the best out of it. Then I tried the Studio, and just like always, it floored me. All the things I wanted from single coils, none of the other stuff that makes them hard for me to play. A more relaxed attack from the hog neck, more bass content so I can use amps set the same way I do for my other guitars. It was SO GOOD.

Blasphemy: profane or contemptuous speech, writing, or action concerning anything held as divine.

I would say the Silver Sky is pretty well regarded as divine at this point, so there it is. I liked the Studio more (for me).

Heresy: any opinion opposed to official established views or doctrine.

Now, did I mention that Studio was BLUE? I won't go into detail, because we all know what that means around here. There are a lot of blue guitars I don't care for either. But have you guys seen the Frost Blue S2's? In person???

And, lastly, justice for Sergio. Last time I ranted about this Studio, he expressed a desire to go in with me on dual NGD's. And, like the jerk I am, I left my brother out in the cold! Thankfully, he didn't mirror my hesitation, because what he was after, I think, is rather rare and probably wouldn't be around by now. So, buddy, from me to you, my bad. It took me a while, but I tried to make it up to you.

40586376063_ecbcd7309f_c.jpg

The fella at the shop told me out of the (frost) blue that the S2 Studio is now a discontinued model, so he could probably get me a discount on it. Dude, I KNOW this thing is extinct now, you should've pushed the other way! But I went back today and he made good on his word, nice guy that he is. I got her home, and it's everything I hoped it would be. Plugged in to my Custom 50, played for a minute or two, and my eyes got as big as dinner plates, and all I could say was

#*$&!!!!!!

Go ahead Shawn, nuke me. But, know that it's y'alls own fault I said it in the first place. These all hog S2's are just way too good.

Awesomeness. I have to agree - while I do LOVE all my PRS guitars - there is just something really magical about the all mahogany (Standard) S2s. I have 4 of them. Each is amazing. Comfortable in familiarity, but unique in every way. While the Studio and Standard 22 are pretty much the same guitar sans pickup config, they are very unique in their application. One does something different than the other. The Singlecut Standard offer something TOTALLY different than the other two. Then you have the Vela and the Studio - very similar in electronics, but sonically in totally different places. The D-type in the neck of the Vela responds very different than the D-type in the neck of the Studio. It is a very cool thing.

Anyway, rock that Studio and enjoy!!!! Oh, and I agree - the blue is KILLER:

I really like that guitar, Andy, congrats!

I wouldn’t let one lone crank on a forum dissuade me from buying a blue guitar.

Nope. Go Blue guitars!

But I think everyone should take the advice of that crank on this forum (who shall remain nameless) to play only real tube amps. ;)

I really like that guitar, Andy, congrats!

I wouldn’t let one lone crank on a forum dissuade me from buying a blue guitar.

Nope. Go Blue guitars!

But I think everyone should take the advice of that crank on this forum (who shall remain nameless) to play only real tube amps. ;)

I love my blue guitars.

And I'll also be the guy who says you don't[/] have to blast real tube amps to be a happy guitarist.

I was playing my Axe-FX III through my pair of Friedman ASM-12s earlier tonight and was happier than a pig in s!?t as my Mesa, Orange, Vox, Rivera, PRS, BC Audio, and Zinky amps looked on in (frustrated) silence.

Wow i didn't know blue guitars are ridiculed on the forum LOL. I guess i should use a different guitar i own in my avatar haha J/K.

Cool buy, i liked it too when i played it, almost bought one. I did buy a silver sky, and i did feel this guitar was different. I can totally see how you could conclude it's better than the SS for you, because it has a different character.

I love my blue guitars.

And I'll also be the guy who says you don't[/] have to blast real tube amps to be a happy guitarist.

I was playing my Axe-FX III through my pair of Friedman ASM-12s earlier tonight and was happier than a pig in s!?t as my Mesa, Orange, Vox, Rivera, PRS, BC Audio, and Zinky amps looked on in (frustrated) silence.

The tube amps didn’t just look on in silence; they were turning their noses up at the Axe and feeling all smug and superior.

“That..thing...will never be one of us,” said the PRS amp.

The other amps winked their pilot lights in agreement.

“She looks like an 80s effects box, too,” the Mesa exclaimed. “Poor thing. No Tolex. Remember the rack gear?

The tube amps all giggled.

Andy! Wottascore! Mine is going out to scream today! And yes, there will be a PRS 2 channel on the other end. In regards to that blue guitar defamer, we should only feel pity. After all, it’s scientifically proven that blue guitars sound better. My friend, Phil, told me so. And let us know if you readjust the pickups.

Andy! Wottascore! Mine is going out to scream today! And yes, there will be a PRS 2 channel on the other end. In regards to that blue guitar defamer, we should only feel pity. After all, it’s scientifically proven that blue guitars sound better. My friend, Phil, told me so. And let us know if you readjust the pickups.

Whoever set this one up did a stellar job. All of the pickups were set just a tad higher on the treble side, and the singles sound especially fantastic that way, I haven't touched them yet, and I may not at all. The humbucker I adjusted so the bass side is a shade higher. So far I really love the balance of these pickups, they're identical in output and also tonally work well together. The Starla humbucker is bright and snarly, in a very good way, which again reminds me of a strat but without being ear fatiguing, and the singles aren't boomy in comparison. Nice.

The tube amps didn’t just look on in silence; they were turning their noses up at the Axe and feeling all smug and superior.

“That..thing...will never be one of us,” said the PRS amp.

The other amps winked their pilot lights in agreement.

“She looks like an 80s effects box, too,” the Mesa exclaimed. “Poor thing. No Tolex. Remember the rack gear?

The tube amps all giggled.

Deep inside, the Mesa felt a twinge of guilt. He did remember the rack gear, they were dear friends for a long time. They had grown apart over the years, and the rack gear was placed in a retirement closet a long time ago.

I love my blue guitars.

As my Helix and Axe FX III howl out guitar tunes all night long, the custom built tube amps rot in jealousy in the cold catacombs of the garage with the cat litter pans.... o_O:eek::D:cool:

Congrats Andy -I know you stalked that one for a while :)

Back