Black sc245 scratches incredibly easily

mart541

I recently bought a black sc245. I feel as though if I look at this thing the wrong way a scratch appears on the mirror-like black finish. Just slipping it into and taking it out of a soft case (I admit it's a cheap one) once appears to have made very light but visible marks on the back. Is this normal? Were these marks there when I bought it and just didn't notice? I'm not terribly enthusiastic about doing it a few more times just to be sure. I was a little surprised when I received the guitar and noticed that the top hadn't been cleaned, and I'm starting to understand why. Can these light marks be removed? I know it's a guitar and it's meant to be played but adding marks to the back every time I pick it up is disheartening and makes me want to play my other, more durable, cheaper guitar. I'm not sure exactly what my point is but I guess I'm a bit disappointed.

I say you pick it up and put more scratches on it!

(by playing it of course ;) )

In my experiences, black does show more. That's all I can tell ya

Black doesn't scratch easier than other colors. It merely highlights every small imperfection in the finish. Light swirl marks that would go unnoticed on a white or pastel colored guitar stick out like sore thumbs on a black guitar.

A zipper on the edges of a gig bag is going to cause light scratches or swirl marks. If you're going to use a gig bag, maybe consider one that unzips all the way around so the bag opens like a case. Then you can take the guitar out and put it in without scratching it.

Also, a soft lining (as opposed to the nylon most bags come with) won't scratch the finish. I've found over the years that most nylon linings will cause swirl marks (you wouldn't polish your car with a nylon cloth, right?).

And light scratches will easily polish out (there is method to good polishes and polishing technique, however, the usual guitar store junk will just cloud the paint).

But black guitars are awesome, and look great on stage!

Black doesn't scratch easier than other colors. It merely highlights every small imperfection in the finish. Light swirl marks that would go unnoticed on a white or pastel colored guitar stick out like sore thumbs on a black guitar.
So true. Black shows EVERYTHING. I have a custom finished pearl white type finish on a PRS and it hides everything well in terms of swirl marks and light surface scratches. It's just the nature of black finishes.

Hey Les, didn't you mention a car care polish to me that will remove light surface scratches?

I personally use Virtuoso's finish products on all of my guitars, but Scott Grove just uploaded a new video of a product called what else, Guitar Scratch Remover :D
None of my guitars have scratches, but I use the Virtuoso to make it oh so smoooooth.

Last edited by a moderator:

Exactly. Black is the least forgiving color.

So true. Black shows EVERYTHING. I have a custom finished pearl white type finish on a PRS and it hides everything well in terms of swirl marks and light surface scratches. It's just the nature of black finishes.

Hey Les, didn't you mention a car care polish to me that will remove light surface scratches?

Meguiar's New Car Glaze. But on a black finish you'd want to be very, very careful no matter what you're using. Sometimes the cure is worse than the disease!

My black strat looks the most beat up of all my guitars and it gets played the least.

10 years ago I owned this Korean made Gretsch hollowbody guitar and it was beautiful, but I absolutely could not stand how it showed every little fingerprint and scratch. I swore off black guitars all together, said I'd never buy one again.

Fast forward to when I bought my 1st PRS, the black one was the best playing and sounding of the bunch so I bought it and promised myself that I would not obsess about the scratches and finger prints. It's been well over 6 years and many gigs later and I love the patina it has taken on. I would like it if all my guitars were black now.

What I'm trying to say is, nothing can be new forever. If you like it way it plays and sounds, play it and enjoy it and don't worry.

Back