Black History Month: Let's Talk About Black Guitarists

Cheers to that -- I saw him play it solo before he put it in a band context. Don't remember two guitars, but might've been...

I think we need another showing of Albert Collins. I've been fond of him since I first heard "Too Many Dirty Dishes".
For the longest time, I used to confuse him with Albert King -- my sister set me straight -- she prefers old school blues, so she prefers King, but...what can I say, I kind of like it when someone has a cool gimmick (like making the sound of wiping dirty dishes with a guitar)...anyway, here's King, just so none of youse all make the same mistake:

What a life changing experience that must have been. Did you know what you were in for before hand?

We needn't get worried about people who have already been mentioned, the point of this thread is to talk about these musicians. I really like hearing about people's personal experiences, whether it's getting to see them live, when they first heard them, and what they mean to our membership here. Even if somebody's favorite guy has been posted before, there's still room and a desire to discuss them.

What a guy! Such an incredible songwriter and inspiration, and especially to older males.

It's easy to forget (or never been aware) that Bill was thirty years old before he hit the "big time". I recall seeing a documentary about him where he talked about just up and deciding he was gonna become a musician while working for some airline or something, and being told he was already too old.

Because of his age, he had such a mature sensibility in his lyrics. When he debuted he did it as a man, with a fully and deeply developed message that was, tender, learned, and realistic. His music conveys complete masculinity... In the gentlest and most ernest way while

He wasn't a flashy player but, he provided all he needed to let his songs and stories fill the souls of his listeners.

And always with positivity.
Umm!! how do I answer that. Firstly we had a music broadcast called the Old Grey Whistle Test which featured artists who weren't necessarily mainstream, I remember seeing Bob on that (Redemption Song) But apart from that I Must confess I didn't have a Scooby Doo!!!. I remember they had camera's at that concert, whether they
used footage I don't know but that's enough of me rambling. Here is my point, ( Influence). I never pushed my kid's musically but it dawned on me, my son's big on Bob & Daughter's boy my eldest grandson's middle name is Marley &his nickname is Jammin. There's Influence eh!!.

Lurrie Bell, a Chicago born blues guitarist, and son of harp player Carey Bell. Lurrie was a blues prodigy, in the late 70s/early 80s until emotional issues and drug abuse led to seclusion. He came back to music in the mid 90s and has been releasing material and touring regularly since then.

....my eldest grandson's middle name is Marley &his nickname is Jammin. There's Influence eh!!.

That's pretty rad!

I missed a couple of days so thanks for keeping this thread going, guys.
How about Fallon Bowman? She's played with Pigface and started Kittie and Amphibious Assault.

Proving Brutal ain't just for boys.

Last edited:
Robin White, Motown...
Robert_White_guitarist.jpg

Since we're getting close to Valentine's Day (and I may be busy) I want to talk about a dude I love. I mean, really really, love.

Ray Parker Jr.

Yeah, the Ghostbusters dude. Let's all get our laughs outta the way early and all the Huey Lewis fans can defuse their outrage with this:

:p

In reality, Ray is one of those guys like Nile Rodgers where it's almost easier to to name the people he hasn't worked with than it is to go through his enormous discography. If you ever feel like getting depressed over how little you've done in your life, look it up and go cry in the shower.

Years back I got interviewed for some Canadian filmmaker's documentary (not giving out that link!) about musicians/producers and what/who was their inspiration for making music. I got goofed on in that crappy film (f@ck those dudes) for saying Ray was my man, and I still stand by that choice today. I will avenge my master!!!!!! :mad:

The initial spark that set me off was "The Other Woman". It was the first time I knew who he was.. but as I would learn later, I'd been listening to him my whole life without knowing it: Every time I went to the rollerskating rink I was crushing on girls while Raydio and New Edition played. I remember getting childhood panic attacks while being stuck in Minnesota Fabrics with my mom while The Carpenters played on what seemed like an endless loop. There may even be a small chance that I was conceived to his work with Barry White or Marvin Gaye, and I have distinct memories of listening to Talking Book by Stevie Wonder while in the womb (okay, that's a bit of a stretch).

It wasn't until the internet came along that I accidentally rediscovered his seriously insane level of Bangin'!ness in the midst of a Love Unlimited binge when I googled "Who played guitar on.. some song by Barry White" and came across the name of the guy that got me into guitar in the first place.

It's almost impossible for me to pick just a few of his joints, but I'll try.

Oh yeah.

OMG!!! How could I not have come up with

Ray Parker Jr.

OMG!!! How could I not have thought of him, and how the hell did it take so long to come up with this guy. He was the backbone of late 70's early 80's R&B, so many hits that you wouldn't even know he had a hand in like "Got to be real" by Cheryl Lynn, and "It's a shame" by the Spinners, were both written from his guitar riffs. Didn't get to show off his chops too much due to the genre of music he was working in that R&B mainly uses guitar as a backing instrument, but he even did some great instrumentals like "After midnight". Class act for sure.

OMG!!! How could I not have come up with

OMG!!! How could I not have thought of him, and how the hell did it take so long to come up with this guy. He was the backbone of late 70's early 80's R&B, so many hits that you wouldn't even know he had a hand in like "Got to be real" by Cheryl Lynn, and "It's a shame" by the Spinners, were both written from his guitar riffs. Didn't get to show off his chops too much due to the genre of music he was working in that R&B mainly uses guitar as a backing instrument, but he even did some great instrumentals like "After midnight". Class act for sure.

Ha! Yeah, I was saving him (and a few others I still got) for a bit later in the month.

Ray has done so much... He often says "I'm a guitarist first, and everything else second" and you're right, there are a ton of records and songs that come from him that go uncredited. Rufus, Chaka Kahn, Herbie Hancock, George Benson, Motown, Run DMC.... the list is ridiculous.

One of the things I enjoy about threads where we share music is getting to know who I can and can't get stuck in a car with for long periods of time. I think we could go cross-country without somebody smashing the radio, Huggy B. :D

Back