Black finger tips

danktat

Award winning tattoo artist ... Amateur guitarist
Is there any reason why the SAME strings I have been using, for easily a couple of decades, would all of a sudden (when brand new) turn my fingers black after only about 45 minutes of playing.

It is on my new SE A40E, so I was wondering if the ebony board had something to do with it. But I wiped down the strings, and even over the sound hole it showed some streaking on the towel. These are regular old D'Addario phosphor bronze 12's. About as standard as you get. And, like I said, I have been using them for YEARS and have never had that happen before. They are on all of my other acoustic guitars and this is the first time I have seen this.

Washed off easily with soap and water. Would that happen if it is from the metal of the strings? I know when like a fake gold chain causes someone skin to change color, it is usually stained to the point that it kind of has to "wear off".

Perplexed.

Is there any reason why the SAME strings I have been using, for easily a couple of decades, would all of a sudden (when brand new) turn my fingers black after only about 45 minutes of playing.

It is on my new SE A40E, so I was wondering if the ebony board had something to do with it. But I wiped down the strings, and even over the sound hole it showed some streaking on the towel. These are regular old D'Addario phosphor bronze 12's. About as standard as you get. And, like I said, I have been using them for YEARS and have never had that happen before. They are on all of my other acoustic guitars and this is the first time I have seen this.

Washed off easily with soap and water. Would that happen if it is from the metal of the strings? I know when like a fake gold chain causes someone skin to change color, it is usually stained to the point that it kind of has to "wear off".

Perplexed.
To my knowledge the blackening or greening effect is due to oxidation which is caused by moisture in your fingers reacting with the metal in the strings. Could be exemplified by the current spring climate as winter months are very dry by comparison. I doubt it’s from any fretboard dye. I don’t think it’s anything to be overly concerned about though, happens to me regularly and I’ve never gave it a second thought.

I use D'Addario 80/20 bronze too and they've always turned my fingers black at first. After some time they don't but fresh bronze strings will every time with several different brands. For several of my friends it does as well.

Why it just started happening for you on this guitar I'm not sure.

I've seen this happen to my buddies with bronze watches on their wrist as well.

Lemon oil on a rag to your fretboard & strings, dry rag wipe excess, I do it periodically, keeps oxidation down and your ebony looking sweet.

I've had this happen with both an SE Soapbar way back when, and with a Silver Sky last year. Both guitars were brand new out of the box, and it stopped happening after a few days of playing. I figger it's something on the neck from the factory.

Playing some Darth Vader licks? Going to the dark side will leave a mark!

Seriously, though, I’m with the guys above on the fingerboard being the likely source. Wood has a way of pushing out any finish or oil in excess of what it comfortably holds. Even that little bit could react with the strings and finger oils. My bet is that it’ll clear up on its own quickly as the woods settle in to your environment.

Back