Black coloring on strings after few hours of play

This is normal...do the strings still sound good?....case closed. I use mostly Elixirs, PRS sigs, and NYXLs on my guitars and by the time I'm done playing and stabilizing the guitar.....I'll find black spots where I was picking.

Since I set all of my guitars up for down tuning of some variety, I ALWAYS put fresh strings on new guitars. Even if I didn't need to set up my guitars for alternate tunings, I'd still change strings. God only knows what kind of ambient environmental conditions the guitar was exposed to while in transit from the factory, to a warehouse/dealer, then to me. In the situation where a guitar is coming from a dealer, if it's been hanging on the wall, I guarantee that it's seen some play. Pull the old strings, give the fretboard a wipe down with a clean dry towel and put a new set of strings on. If your body chemistry is such that this is a problem with this guitar, try using coated strings like Elixir, Cleartone, or the like. Just keep in mind, STRINGS ARE CONSUMABLE/PERISHABLE. They are not mean to last months on end. On any of my gigging guitars, I average three or four gigs before I need to change strings.

Since I set all of my guitars up for down tuning of some variety, I ALWAYS put fresh strings on new guitars. Even if I didn't need to set up my guitars for alternate tunings, I'd still change strings. God only knows what kind of ambient environmental conditions the guitar was exposed to while in transit from the factory, to a warehouse/dealer, then to me. In the situation where a guitar is coming from a dealer, if it's been hanging on the wall, I guarantee that it's seen some play. Pull the old strings, give the fretboard a wipe down with a clean dry towel and put a new set of strings on. If your body chemistry is such that this is a problem with this guitar, try using coated strings like Elixir, Cleartone, or the like. Just keep in mind, STRINGS ARE CONSUMABLE/PERISHABLE. They are not mean to last months on end. On any of my gigging guitars, I average three or four gigs before I need to change strings.
Well said.

The weird thing is, my hands became very dry a few years ago, and strings last for an absurdly long time - though I use pure nickel wrap that lasts longer than nickel plated steel. Sometimes I change strings not because they need it, but because I just feel guilty if I don't!

But yes, strings are meant to be changed on a guitar as often as needed.

Maybe for a different thread, but I don't feel the need to change my strings very often and I play every day. I once worked on a recording project for over a year and because my guitar had a great tone and feel - I purposefully did not change the strings and risk upsetting the balance. In fact throughout my gigging years, the only time I ever felt the need to change strings was because of the hurt I was putting on them - and I was more concerned about breaking them during a performance more than anything else. (I attribute that to user error / my attack.) Anyways, to each his own - I don't have a stake in anyone else's guitar strings. Just found the 'strings are consumable / perishable' comment a bit odd. I've never had a set get moldy or give me food poisoning! :p

Maybe for a different thread, but I don't feel the need to change my strings very often and I play every day. I once worked on a recording project for over a year and because my guitar had a great tone and feel - I purposefully did not change the strings and risk upsetting the balance. In fact throughout my gigging years, the only time I ever felt the need to change strings was because of the hurt I was putting on them - and I was more concerned about breaking them during a performance more than anything else. (I attribute that to user error / my attack.) Anyways, to each his own - I don't have a stake in anyone else's guitar strings. Just found the 'strings are consumable / perishable' comment a bit odd. I've never had a set get moldy or give me food poisoning! :p

The need for me to change strings every couple of gigs is more a product of my being a little schweddy and my schweddy self tending to corrode the strings a little. I'm primarily guarding against string breakages on bends.

Can't say that I've ever eaten guitar strings, but they are certainly a consumable item in the same sense as tissues or paper towels, they're meant to be used and disposed of at some point.

The need for me to change strings every couple of gigs is more a product of my being a little schweddy and my schweddy self tending to corrode the strings a little. I'm primarily guarding against string breakages on bends.

Can't say that I've ever eaten guitar strings, but they are certainly a consumable item in the same sense as tissues or paper towels, they're meant to be used and disposed of at some point.

In fairness, I didn't not account for sweating - so you have a point there. And yes, if you're concerned about breaking them - I get it.

Back