Birds Inlay thickness?

mrilo

I have an 08 Mira with the hollow bird inlays and was curious how thick they were. Over the last several years I have moved mainly to a flatter radius and as my guitars come up for a refret I have the finger board radius redone at 14" and then put stainless frets on as well.

I have done this on my 01 singlecut and 97 McCarty with excellent results and the re-radius brought them back into my gigigng rotation, but those had moon inlays. There was plenty of thickness on those for the 14" radius. Was not sure about the birds, and if I sanded through a bird I am not sure if I could get replacements for them.

Does any know the thickness, or has anyone re-radiused a fingerboard with bird inlays? Or if you happen to know if prs will sell a replacement inlay.

They won't sell replacement inlays, you would likely have to send it in to be repaired.

Personally I wouldn't change the radius. But that's just me.

I can’t find my micrometer, but they’re in between the thickness of a penny and a nickel.

B4iGQqG.jpg

I'm pretty sure that the birds are too thin to survive a radius change or scalloping.

Hmm makes me wonder how thick the private stock solid 14k gold inlays are.

“I’d like to buy a coffee. Might as well since it’s the end of the world.”

“1 gold piece please”

“Here’s one I bet you’ve never seen before. It’s bird shaped.”

I can’t find my micrometer, but they’re in between the thickness of a penny and a nickel.

Thanks for the pic, that helps. Not sure if it would make 14", maybe a 12 after seeing that. My radius change on the ones with the moons went ok, though one moon was installed crooked and then sanded flat at factory, so the radius change sanded off one end and exposed the half-open dot hole, found a close enough replacement for that one to work.

I may just leave this one alone, but at the same time I am not playing it much anymore outside of recording when the tune calls for it. My other ones were more beat up and gigged enough I really did not care if I sanded off the dots or not since I do not use the front dots, not sure if I would be ok with losing the birds on this one. Either way, stuff for me to think about, thanks for the input all!

Back